college or university fiddling programs

college or university fiddling programs

are there any college/university programs that specialize in Irish/Celtic fiddling? Or are there good private fiddling teachers and groups at any colleges?

Re: college or university fiddling programs

UC Cork and UC Limerick both have traditional music programs that are fairly well respected.

In the USA, Boston College offers Irish music classes, and the Berkelee College of Music is celtic-friendly, though it doesn’t (to my knowledge) offer any actual tutelage in Irish trad.

Alternately, any city/region with a healthy trad music scene, like Dublin, most of the cities on the west coast of Ireland, or (for the USA) any of New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia/DC/Baltimore, etc will likely provide ample opportunities to improve your playing outside of the context of getting an academic education. Many of my own favorite musicians learned to play outside the context of astructured program.

I, for one, am a big advocate for playing traditional music as an avocation rather than a vocation. But this is another discussion topic altogether.

Folk Degree at Newcastle

Posted .

Warren Wilson College has a an Appalachian music program.

As someone how holds a BA in music, I can assure you that my degree and a gun will get me a cup of coffee, but I need to actually have the gun along with me or I have to skip the cup of coffee. Go to school and get a degree in business. As a musician, you are actually a small businessman, so you’re probably better off learning how to run a small business. Dont believe me, just ask my dad. Believe me, he’ll tell you

just practice alot and play with good players, and the folk music will take care of itself.

that is my grouchy, crusty old musician advice. YMMV

sorry, that’s "someone who" not "someone how"

you see! If I only studied English….

DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology) also has a course in ITM; I am a fourth year student in it myself.

Posted by .

I’m probably wrong, but I think Seamus Connolly teaches at a university in Boston.

Posted .

Seamus Connolly still teaches at Boston College (along with Tina Lech and Jimmy Noonan, if memory serves).

It’s worth noting that the Berkelee music program involves a fair bit of marketing/professional training as well, since it’s geared towards producing viable professional musicians. Berkelee does offer programs for things other than "performance", which may be a convenient way to get your music education whilst still getting training for a more viable career (like recording engineering, or film scoring).

Similarly, Boston College (I imagine) wouldn’t likely let you graduate without having passed a number of core-curriculum classes, like English, History, Math, etc, and those are the things that are most likely to qualify you for a real paying job afterwards.

But in the end, before you go to college for traditional Irish music (especially if one is making the unbelievable financial commitment typical in the USA), you should take a realistic look at what you want to be doing after graduation, and make sure that the program you choose helps you get there.

You might find that playing music full-time doesn’t give you the opportunity to play the music you actually like (it’s often more about the music that pays the rent, which might not be the same thing). Or you might learn that a completely separate career actually gives you more freedom and the financial resources to travel where you want to go, and play your own stuff more than you might otherwise have suspected.

Or you might decide that the things that pay the rent are exactly the things that you want to spend your life doing—and that might help you find the college program that teaches you exactly the skills you’ll need to do that!

Good luck!

Seamus Connolly does teach at BC (I’m a student there myself), but you’ll find his class and tuition quite limited. There is certainly no intensive or focused study of Irish music, or even ethnomusicology, unless you make a point of it with, say, a double-major in music and Irish studies. Berklee, meanwhile, does have violin- or fiddle-centered programs, but good luck learning any traditional Irish music there. The curriculum and its students are generally focused on jazz, Scottish and Cape Breton music.

Posted by .

folkworks degree at newcastle or royal scottish acadamy of music and drama has a BA (honours) in scottish music which according to my fiddle teacher is trad.

It’s only a rumour, but I did hear that a certain trad music course at a certain Uni had the highest rate of STDs in the whole place - it’s all because of that warm friendly feeling you get when playing music you love with like-minded people only intensified when you’re also young and away from home for the first time.
So; remember the words of the late Spike Milligan - "It’s the law of the 3 C’s; it’s gotta be continence, contraception, or chaos !".
Alternatively; "Contraceptives should be used on every conceivable occasion !" .

Here in madison, we have a couple of enrichment courses through the university’s continuing education program.

my two cents…

anyways, you cant say STD anymore. Its STI i guess…

What’s wrong with Subscriber Trunk Dialling ?
Don’t you remember that old Sydney Carter song ?

"Standing alone, in the damp and the dark
"In a filthy old phone-box in Finsbury Park
"I dial FREemantle, you give me a FRO
"I ask for a PRImrose, you give me a PRO
"So
"Say who you are love, and not "Hullo"
"Give me your name, and give me your number
"Say who you are love, and not "Hullo"
"If I press button A all my pennies will go".

As a former student of both Berklee College of Music and the University of Limerick, I can say, with confidence, that pursuing a degree in Irish traditional music is not the wisest choice. Unless you’re willing to get by paying rent with weekly gigs, then go for it, but if you are not one for constantly gigging and traveling, then looking for some stability should be your first priority (I was a Music Ed. major at Berklee). Listen to Georgi! Word? Word.

Cheers,
Armand

Cape Breton University has a ethnomusicology program that has most of its focus on Cape Breton fiddling, and they also offer a degree in just Cape Breton fiddling.

Posted by .