Decent mic for ipod touch.

Decent mic for ipod touch.

I’ve been searching flea bay for a good mic to use with my ipod touch and the only ones i see are the type that just stick out of the bottom.
I’m just wondering if they are any good i want to make recordings of myself plus maybe some of friends playing.
Has anyone used a mic with the ipod touch and if so what do you suggest?

Re: Decent mic for ipod touch.

I don’t but I know you can get some plugin adaptors which will allow you to connect stereo phantom mics, and I think there’s also a thing that’s a bit larger than the touch which has a pair of mics on it already - you just slot the touch into it, and you have a very good quality stereo recording machine. Can’t remember the name of it but I’ll come back if I find out. Have a search - there are some great options around.

This is the beast I was thinking of:

http://www.alesis.com/protrack

- but you could go cheaper with just some recording apps and a simpler cable input

Mark that looks like a great gadget but my ipod touch is 4th generation so i don’t think it’s compatable.
I’ve got the built in voice recorder app but it doesn’t have a built in mic so i have to go for an external one.
BTW how much was that adapter because i couldn’t see a price anywhere?

I agree it looks good but one does wonder of the benifits of having sterio mics about 3mm apart

Its called a ’ coincident pair ’ mic set up dave. you can google and read about it.

Hi Upmine3, don’t know about the price. I don’t have one as I got a Zoom H4n, which is just brilliant.

Bazouki Dave (and apologies in advance if this is really boring - just something we learnt a lot about in our job!!) in a lot of these stereo devices, the mics are put very close together (theoretically they should be coincident) for loudspeaker stereo - to avoid time-of-arrival differences, and of course that also makes for a compact design. The mics in the Zoom are totally coincident. Basically, the microphones pick up stereo left-right information as volume differences, and when you play the audio back through speakers, the speakers recreate the time differences from the volume differences. However, listening to headphones, conincident mics can produce a rather "sterile and uninteresting" sound as your ears expect to hear a difference in arrival time (since that’s what we hear naturally - our ears are of course several cm apart). It’s quite difficult to get good sound that works accurately for speaker and for headphone listening, but some people use slightly spaced mics (usually a few cm apart, not 3mm!) so they produce good stereo for headphones and for speakers - but that is a compromise as the two requirements are different.

Yeah Mark i see what you mean about time differences.
I mean isn’t that what all these 5.1 surround speakers are trying to create in a room to bluff your ears so to speak.
This is why in big concert arenas the distance from each speaker must be taken into account otherwise depending on where you stand you might get an echo effect.

Anyhow i might just try one of the cheap mics off ebay for about £5 and see if it does the trick for now befor i delve into an expensive alternative.

Great idea - and to be honest, it really depends what you want to use the recordings for. There are some great mics out there nowadays so give it a go. Let us know how you get on!

I was desperate once and used the mic off my blackberry phone for my daughter’s voice lesson. I won’t be burning it for eternity, but it was more than good enough to record a lesson. (I normal use an H2 Zoom). I just ordered one of these for my daughter:

http://www.meritline.com/apple-mini-microphone-mic-recorder—-p-37453.aspx

WTH, for $.99 how can I go wrong? If it does anything at all, it will keep my daughter from stealing my phone set.

I just did a search on these things. The little 99 cent thing works ok, but rather poor quality. The Blue Mikey (c. 50.00 US) is very nice. I got one chance to try mine, then put it in a safe place that is apparently a black hole. :(

Just realised my ipod touch is 3rd generation.