Friday Night Sessions

Friday Night Sessions

Here’s one: where to play on Friday night?

Pubs need no session on Fridays. If they do hire entertainment, it’s sure going to be Top 40. So the question is: does anyone else find it frustrating that you can’t find a friendly session on Fri? Especially after a long work week, where bit of relaxing tunes would be just the thing….(Saturday is sort the same too).

As an alternative I always wanted to get a friday kitchen session going (and I have a huge kitchen) but am too timid to try.

Re: Friday Night Sessions

There used to be some local Friday sessions where I lived, but they were axed for precisely the reasons you give. And I can’t say I miss them: it’s been my observation that the folks who frequent on weeknights are there to enjoy a pint or two with friends, whereas the ones who appear on Friday nights are there to get plastered. Not an environment I particularly enjoyed playing in, and let’s not even get into the bus ride home…

You’d likely have better luck in your kitchen.

It’s not so unreasonable to have a session on Fridays in the early evening, when the crowd is less boisterous and more interested in eating than they are in chugging alcoholic beverages and bouncing around the room.

Go for the kitchin! go on go on go on! :-)

Well here’s a Great Co, Antrim Session night at McGeowns Bar in Glenavy, every Wednesday night at 9pm. And I love the Friday night session - And I am just waiting on a phone call now to say we are going up to it …
All fine Musician’s and Good Folk’s there too,,
jim,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7OkwS85Mw

" I always wanted to get a friday kitchen session going (and I have a huge kitchen) but am too timid to try."

Saltcast, invite three musos to your kitchen for a gentle, exploratory sort of musical gathering. If it seems productive and enjoyable (no, wait, forget the "productive"!), then ask the others to come back the following Friday with one friend each. If you’re still all laughing, then you’re laughing (so to speak).

No-one’s mentioned the Magnet - if you get there after 11, rap on the window with a 50p piece.
I don’t go there any more, the standard’s too high for me.

You have 50p left after 11pm on a Friday?

I have done Fridays in the past. don’t see the problem. as it is described here, it seems like going back in a time warp to the 1950s or 60s. you work down t’pit or at t’mill or in the shipyards 8-6 for 5 days a week, and 3 nights and a sunday, the only night off you have is friday night and go and get bladdered with the lads. Saturday night is the civilised night where ye take t’missus out to t’pictures.
Is life really like that now? …Actually it all may come back again now that we in the UK have the tory-liberlal/liars, Ireland is for sale and america is possibly gonna go for palin as opposed to the voice of reason that is Obama…. scary times indeed.

As a normal person (besides the tin whistle obsession) with a full time job…YES! it is frustrating that I cannot find a session on Friday night! It always has been.

It almost seems like Irish musicians do not play on Fridays. WTF?

The Friday Session …. the perfect way to end the week …. & start the Weekend! :-D

Our Friday night Session in The House of McDonnell, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim has been running for years …. oh & we play right through to at least 1.30am!

http://houseofmcdonnell.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Dick

We have our sessions on Friday every week. None of us is going to work the next day and the beer is free. It’s a very happy setup. Where’s the gripe?

Yes - Dick -

Session in The House of McDonnell, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim

There’s another - I am arranging something with your friend and mine, Peter.. About that one -
jim,,

The Friday session in Ballydehob, Co. Cork, has been running for over 23 years.

The Friday night session in Glasgow has been running for a very long time - apparently almost 80 years in the Victoria Bar until it was forced to relocate. Still chugging along happily.

Try T’Tap ‘N’ Spile i’ York every Friday.

This website’s session search by day of the week gives:
Monday 216 sessions
Tuesday 307
Wednesday 322
Thursday 328
Friday 233
Saturday 188
Sunday 551

Crude figures, but - analysis, anyone?

"Go for the kitchin! go on go on go on! " (Spellbreaker)

Yup - if you’re in Edinburgh, go for it, and Tom’s a nice bloke (and not too shabby in the kitchen either).

Belfast. Fountain Tavern, Fountain Street. (City Centre)
Friday from 9:00 pm. Everybody’s welcome but you have to be half dacent - and I’m not talking about yer clothing!

I am a new player and joined a Friday session at the Commodore Barry Club with The Phila. Ceili Group. The 1st hour is a slow session great for beginners and then they speed up. It is a great time!

there used to be a great session in McGrorys Culdaff every friday night, not sure if its still but it used to be brilliant and some of the best players from inishowen there

Well here’s a Great Co, Antrim Session night at McGeowns Bar in Glenavy, every Wednesday night at 9pm. And I love the Friday night session - And I am just waiting on a phone call now to say we are going up to it …
All fine Musician’s and Good Folk’s there too,,
jim,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7OkwS85Mw

# Posted on November 19th 2010 by FIDDLE4

Be careful here, as WE do one of the Fridays!!!!!!!!!Sometimes two a month when the "unreliable" cries off.

But there is a warning. We do the first Friday of the month (:)