Top e mandolin strings

Top e mandolin strings

I’ve got a light set of Elixir’s on my mando at the mo, but have been playing a lot of OM and bouzouki and my top strings are sounding shrill. Can I put 11 or 12’s on with the set I have, and will that mellow the sound?

Re: Top e mandolin strings

Try to find a mando set with bronzed e and a strings, otherwise just buy cannibalize a set of Martin SP with the appropriate gauges. It will quiet right down. Steel is quite loud by comparison. Heavier strings alone will only be harder to play and louder.

And stop paying so much for coated strings. That’s silly. 🙂

Dunno about you but tho I love elixirs on my guitar, i think their mando strings are crap.

I’m with you on that one, Chris. Don’t understand that. They sound harsh on the mando. Maybe I should have bought some mando strings from Jimmy Moon, his OM sounds superb

Gravelwalks - don’t think I’ve ever seen bronzed e and a strings. Who makes them?

11s, as in a D’Addario J74 set, should be fine.
Also check that your pick/plectrum isn’t getting a bit ragged at the edges. That can make your tone a bit unpleasant.

Strings and picks need to be renewed more frequently on mandolin than on guitars and banjo, in my opinion.

Like the others, I didn’t like coated mandoin strings - it was D’addarios EXP that I tried

Posted by .

Ditto the plectrum, I’ve noticed that too. And if you’re filing speed bevels on your picks be sure to make a clean edge on them with a razor blade. The file will leave a crusty edge so you have to clean it up.

Re: string brands I was talking about Martin SP phosphor bronze strings for guitar, which are all bronzed, even the core wire on the wound strings.

They’re pretty and they sound bright and mellow. I don’t know if Martin makes an SP mando set — there may be something like it by another mfgr… Ernie Ball USED to make a set — but if you can’t find them then I suggested buying the Martin SP set for a guitar and cannibalizing it for the mandolin, taking only the appropriate gauges and doing whatever with the remainders. What you do with the rest of the strings in the package is up to you! Play guitar, give them to a friend, turn them into leaders for shark fishing, whatever.

Hmmm… I smell another science thread.

I wonder how well the ear can detect the metallic composition of guitar/mandolin/bouzouki strings. We know how much stock people put in their ability to make those distinctions, but how much of that is real?

Does a bronze coating in an unwound string affect the sound?

Heh, Jon, I wonder how well your nose can detect the potential for science composition in a mustard thread. Sure, people put stock in their ability to make a distinction between a thread that might benefit from a science-based perspective, and one that’s purely metaphysical, but how much of that is real?

Does a thread in need of science have a discernible odor?

😎

Posted .

No, but I think I smell a wind-up around here somewhere.

You must be down wind to smell a wind up.

(or as Yoda would gargle, "Down wind to smell a wind up must you be.")

Posted .

Hunh? So let me get this straight — you guys can’t tell the difference between phosphor bronze strings and, say, 80/20? Have you tried them? Wait.. that’s a ridiculous question.

And what’s all this about science? I got C’s in science.

Ummm!
This appliance of science has gone tttttttoooooooo far.

I’ve ordered some Martin MSP3460. I’ll see what happens.