What was or would be your first danse to call?

What was or would be your first danse to call?

As introduction to Christmas in my new family, I have been asked to call a dance. Hummm, did play for dances, did dance a few times (called dances), never called. They too never dance a called dance…

So I got some books:

La danse traditionnelle québécoise et sa musique d’accompagnement

Danse et musique traditionnelles du Québec

Musique et danse

J’ai tant dansé, j’ai tant gigué : répertoire de gigues québécoises

J’ai tant dansé—

Vive la compagnie

and a couple more, but I want to know if any of you have suggestion about a simple dance to call or experience to share…

Re: What was or would be your first danse to call?

Dance with a "C" in english and not a "S" as in danse québécoise. Sorry for the typo.

I guess people are more into drinking (discussion above) than dancing or calling dances. Or maybe it is just not an irish tradition…

If it is an Irish dance you are looking for, the Walls of Limerick is a simple ceilidhe dance. And the Siege of Ennis also a pretty straightforward one. Although, most Irish dances I have been to don’t have anyone calling the dances, they just dance.

Thanks AlBrown, I will look into these suggestions. I did play for a cèilidh before but I admit not remembering the figures. There are a couple videos about walls of Limerick on the net and will see if I can take something out of it.

Nice!!! I like the dance and it does seem to be pretty straight forward. A little promenade, a couple steps that I do not totally get yet. Couples switch places. Couple steps with the other couple and swing.

Got to go back to the library, or the find cèilidh round here…

Waves of Tory is a good one too.

Seige of Ennis is the usual choice for beginners. Walls of Limerick tends to deteriorate into chaos when couples are trying to polka around and advance.

Cool, cool, and cool!!! Thank you. This is great info giving me more involved in dance. Especially that I got tendinitis and can’t play my fiddle for a while.

the kick to get