Going boldly where no flute has gone before

Re: Going boldly where no flute has gone before

It’s trad Jim, but not as we know it.

I never visualised Matt Molloy’s magic Eb flute as being (as far as I can tell) a Boehm system type instrument freighted with keys.

Maybe she just had to pick up the nearest one to hand for the photo.

Is anyone here *sure* it’s Matt Molloy’s she’s holding?

LOL - I’m sure it’s *not* 🙂

I’m sure it’s not the flute he plays. But it could well be a flute he had kicking about the house and finally thought that mybe it would be better if he put some space between it and him?

Posted .

Why so crabby. If Mat Malloy says its one of his flutes then who are we to argue.

Who is this Mat Malloy chap?

It’s in a newspaper so it must be true.

Posted by .

Well, this isn’t just ‘one of his flutes’ - the article says it’s the flute he played on his first album - the black album. And that defineitely wasn’t a Boehm flute. It was an Eb simple system. I’m not sure of the make.

That was quite a gesture. But how will she fit it inside her space helmet?

It’s photoshopped to have the Boehm.

Had the photo included Matt’s Eb wooden flute, people would have accused the newspaper of not knowing the difference between a flute and a clarinet.

Maybe the flute’s the same, but the woman’s photoshopped?

"If Mat Malloy says its one of his flutes then who are we to argue."

He says he gave her his flute. He doesn’t say that it’s the one in the photo, though.

I wonder what the insurance company is gonna say about it

Posted .

i heard she got an Arts Flight from the Arts Council

That will be it. They said it was "a priceless traditional Irish concert flute" and couldn’t afford the premium for the photo shoot so used a substitute.

The premium for the photo shoot? I was thinking about the premium for blasting it into space.

You can just see the claim form when it comes back with a crack in it

Posted .

I’d imagine that everything had to be packed and loaded long ago, and so the actual flute wasn’t available for the news conference yesterday.

If I become an astronaut and go into space, will Paddy Maloney give me pipes?

In space, no-one can hear them squeal.
Best place for ‘em

Posted .

Imagine the noise they’d make on re-entry, though.

Re-entry? That wasn’t part of the deal!

What is she going to play???

I hope its ‘The Plough & The Stars’…… 🙂

Perhaps, like Frankie, she´ll make an album called Up, Up and Away!

Just so long as she doesn’t leave it on the roof when she goes for a space walk

Posted by .

The Sirius Reel? That’s one of Matt’s.

My first thought was "Up in the Air", but then I realized that isn’t the right tune at all, as she’ll be above the air. And, come to think of it, she’ll be above the up as well.

I hope she brings the right flute back. And I hope it survives the trip, and we don’t hear "It’s dead, Jim" from Leonard "Boehms" McCoy.

I suppose it will be an offshore investment.

Going into space might add to its value on return, even if not to its quality.

If she plays ITM for the aliens, they really *might* come to the gig this time - possibly in a flash mob.

Oh great. She’s going to bring back several million aliens with bodhrans and guitars. Sigh.

or she could play The Moon and Seven Stars.

I suppose there’s always the Star of Munster, if we’re going there. And the Morning Star (which is not the Evening Star, despite a thousand logic textbooks insisting it is).

If they need a song, they could have a go at the one Kornog recorded, the Shuttle Rins.

SWFL

I suspect an alien bodhran player will show up unannounced… and play a half beat behind everything and slightly off rhythym, just to demonstrate that some things are universal!

Oh and Star above the garter?

On second thought, that may be OK for an hour or two if they’re buying the pints. Most of us put up with that from our fellow Earthlings with no such incentives!

Catherine has come several times to our session down in Clear Lake (near Houston). In addition to Matt’s flute I believe she is taking one of Paddy Moloney’s whistles and Ian Anderson flute up as well. As nohoval_turrets says, they have long since been packed up and taken to the space station. Supposedly, a few of us are suppose to go to Misson control and have a session during her time on the space station. Should be fun if it works out.

Good job she doesn’t play the piano

Posted by .

Nobody has yet mentioned the crucial scientific question, answering which makes the whole experiment worthwhile.

Where will the drool go in zero G?

… for the answer to which, see the parallel thread over on C&F …

Typical silver flute weighs 1 to 1.5 lbs. Lowest launch costs are about $2k USD, which is probably for bulk loads, not baubles for PR.

Matt’s flute is a Hawkes E-flat dark coccus. I had the pleasure of checking it out for Cady about 6 months ago when it first arrived in Houston. I corrected a couple of sticking pads/pad seats and did a few other simple things to get it going in tip top shape. It is indeed a great flute. Rich tone, excellent intonation. I hope the low relative humidity in the space station will be kind to the flute.

This flute, along with Paddy’s pennywhislte and one of Ian Anderson’s silver flutes, left the next day for Russia, to be packed away for the trip. I loaned Cady one of my D concert flutes to practice on in the interim, since she usually plays Boehm flute. Hope the atmosphere up there will allow her to give us a tune!

Drool? Nah. That’s pure distilled water comes out the end of the flute!

At least it’s nice to see the PR going Mr Molloy’s way … rather than to that flop of a pop fop (though she could play the Humours of Tull on his one?).

Posted .

"Mr. Spock, keep your Vulcan hands off my flute!"

Posted by .

Resistance is flutile. You will be assimilated.

Bail ó Dia oraibh! Greetings all!

It might be possible that the photograph and journalist’s notes have been mixed up, and as such the accompanying notes have been used wrongly. It’s not uncommon for this to happen.

The classical flute would certainly be of the style used by Ian Anderson; I believe he played, might still play an Artley.

And yes, Matt did have a Hawkes Eb.

All the best

Brian x

From Matt himself - ‘The flute thing really took off, and that’s not a pun. The astronaut is a lady called Cady Coleman. I’ve known her for years. She plays some Irish music on the metal flute, and would like to play the wooden flute, so in a moment of weakness I lent her the e-flat.

A Moscow based Dublin journalist picked up on it, and that’s the story. I haven’t had as much attention in years. Now I know how P. Moloney feels.’

Posted by .

The flute is safely home and on its way back to Matt in Ireland. I checked it out again after its arrival back to earth. Except that the cork had shrunk and lost its seal, no damage at all. Still a great flute.