Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life

Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life

Sorry for such a strange question, but I felt a sudden “whimsical” urge to ask it.

Personally, I think this music, in spirit, contains a fair amount of whimsy, and at least some whimsy in one’s heart to play it, but sadly I find it woefully deficient on the mustard boards. Even yhaalhouse’s wig glue and hot water bottle collection cannot quell the rampant curmudgeonry here, for feck’s sake.

A philosophical (or anti-philosophical depending on how you look at it) question. Responses containing whimsy will be fondly considered.

Signed,
Captain Underpants

Re: Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life

no

I gave that up for Lent 20 years ago and never looked back

Jimmy - I wholeheartedly commend your attempts to apply a heavy dose of whimsy to Mustardia. I must confess it seems like a loosing battle as of late. There are still a few consistent whimsy warriors - SWFL most notably, but most have slunk into cynicism and heavy handed replies. Blame it on the weather or the economy - or worse, our modern day inability to connect with other humans empathetically. Fortunately, I feel like most of the responses here still come from clever, witty people who appreciate a well played tune and a smartly delivered joke. That makes the other vitriolic responses much easier to gloss over. So keep fighting for the whimsy my brother.

Whimsey is the last desperate refuge of the true cynic

Posted .

It really is! Whimsy is the Final Boss of the video game of cynicism. The trick is you can’t really beat him, you just sort of merge with him.

Your other option on the Final Level is to end the game by dissolving into a puddle of toxic bubbling sociopathic goo.

I think it all has something to do with why Buddha always had that half-smile, but what do I know? I just fiddle here.

llig,

So, you’re a true cynic then?

no, he’s a desperado.
how can you not see that

I’m in Arizona, so I’m pretty good as spotting desperados, but that doesn’t mean I don’t slip up from time to time.

Oh, and JNE, my friend, I have already noted that you are not short on whimsy.

Who needs whimsy when you can have whiskey?

Posted .

I didn’t think there were any desperados in Arizona.

Whimsy is for wimps - whiskey’s a real man’s drink!

Posted .

Hah!

What’s the lyric?

"I’d rather have a bottle in front of me,
than to have to have a frontal lobotomy."

Words both whimsical and wise, and I’m a man who appreciates a bottle of whiskey.

for as long as you can stand up, eh.

It’s the home of towns like Jerome and Prescott and Tombstone. Of course there are desperados.

Me? A true cynic? Far from it I’m afraid. How else can I also claim to be an eternal optimist, other than in failing dismally at the path of true and pure cynicism?

Posted .

A friend of mine has a house that backs on to the Thames.
He has ferries at the bottom of his garden.
No, really ?
No, really no.
You’re kidding me ?
Surely.
Ok, go on then…

Oh, I’ve got my problems. I suffer from both misanthropy and whimsy. I don’t know what that makes me, but it’s probably not favorable.

‘It’s the home of towns like Jerome and Prescott and Tombstone. Of course there are desperados.’

Arizona’s also the home towns/hamlets such as:

Boneyard;
Carefree;
Chloride;
Floss;
Many Farms;
Nothing;
Show Low;
Strong;
Surprise;
Tuba City;

and,

best of the lot,

Why.

Posted by .

I know of most of those. Wow, with those town names we sound positively lunatic.

I like Snow Flake. Tuba City sucks.

I don’t know what Whimsy means.

Ha! I’ve just had a look at MacCruiskeen’s bio - that is quality whimsey there. Well done.

My favorite Arizona town name is Show Low - a town whose ownership was decided by a single draw card game between ranchers and Indians. Hint - the white guys cheated. Not much whimsey for the native people of the area.

Whimsy? I dunno about that. But I have too much jabberwocky in my life….

Posted .

Lurcherjohn, as a teenager, I always enjoyed traveling down the Pennsylvania turnpike, passing signs first for Bird in Hand, then Blueball, and finally Intercourse. Who says the Amish lack a sense of humor?

Here in Montana we have towns from around the world: Kremlin, Malta, Ennis, Manhattan, Harlem, Belgrade, Glasgow. My two favorite town names here are Belfry (where the school sports team is the Bats), and the tiny inbred hamlet of Wisdom, just for the sheer irony of it. 😎

Posted .

Q What makes these sounds: klip-klop, klip-klop, BANG, klip-klop, klip-klop?

Answer A drive-by shooting in Amish country.

Tomorrow will be Muggy…

…followed by Tueggy, Weggy & Thuggy.

I am constantly amazed how much angst is generated around here, considering our common interest is playing wee little dance tunes that consist of repeated eight bar segments. From some of the sound and fury generated, you would think the fate of the world hung in the balance.
Whimsy, indeed!!!

Wow, three exclamation points. Al, get a grip, calm yerself! 🙂

Posted .

OK,,,

@ Al,

All the more reason I thought it would be fun to encourage a little more of it. That and just to change the pace and do something a little out of the ordinary.

To those that don’t approve I offer my dirty underpants.

😉

Do whims eat oats? I know mares do.

What size are they?

@SWFL And does eat oats.

So, llig … is “whimsey” the Irish version of “whimsy”?

@ Lurcherjohn (and others old enough to know or care) careful now my friend, don’t you know “careless talk costs lives”…
there you go - ’specially for the historians round here!

Sorry folks, but I’m afraid I gave up the good fight a long, long time ago! 🙁

….. well let’s face it, being raised as a Scottish Protestant, what chance did I have, other than to follow to the letter, the gospel according to the 3 wise men: Practical, Serious & Dependable …………. or were they Dwarfs! 😛

Cheers
Dick

I thought the three wise men were Larry, Moe and Curly!

“Do whims eat oats?”

No, whimsy dotes.

End of the year is a very emotional time indeed.

Bob may be referring to a popular song, you younguns, which to many listeners, started
“dosey dotes and maresy dotes and little lamsy divey”

(does eat oats and mares eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy)
which is still pretty whimsical….

Lurcherjohn:
Intercourse in Pennsylvania must be very lengthy, as Climax isn’t reached until Saskatchewan.

… and a kiddley tivey too, wooden shoe …

Re: Whimsical place names…

Where I grew up—the northern reaches of the Appalachians, along the shores of a long-evaporated primordial sea, where, millennia later, wildlife flocked to lick the vital, life-giving trace salt from the rocks, followed closely by hungry homo sapiens – first, indigenous hunters wandering out of the north, then Scots-Irish folk wandering down from the eastern seaboard—areas known as ‘licks’ became place names. French Lick, Indiana is one such place. Another, renowned for the numerous mammoth, mastodon, and sloth fossils found there, gave the best place name of all: Big Bone Lick, Kentucky.

Sign in front of a snack and bait shop in my little home town in Alabama:

HAND DIPPED CONES AND WORMS

One hopes they wipe the dipper after use.

There’s a Climax in Colorado too, and also one in Georgia and Michigan.

I wonder what the schools sports team name is for those lovely people living in Dildo, Newfoundland?

Imagine someone moving from Feakle, to Mianus, Pennsylvania, spending a little time in Strain, Missouri, and Kickapoo, Illinois, then Crappo, Maryland, only to end up in Flushing, New York. 😲

Posted .

Speaking of place names, there’s also ….. Bastardstown in Wexford!

I guess those poor folks have one less swear word to use, cause yup, they’re all …….. ! 😀

Hey, anyone know if there’s a place called Fidelitytown nearby? On second thoughts, naw, if there is, it’ll probably just be a very, very small Village. 😛

Cheers
Dick

… not forgetting the ever popular Muff in Co. Donegal, Kilmactranny in Sligo, Termonfeckin (home of Father Jack) in Louth, and Nobber in Meath,

Posted by .