What happened to my bow?

What happened to my bow?

I have a fiddle which I used to attempt to scrape on, years ago. The other day I opened the case for the first time in months (possibly years) to find that over half the hairs on my bow had broken, all near to the frog end.
I’m sure I didn’t leave it under tension.

What happened?

Re: What happened to my bow?

Hair is bio-degradable, especially if it is greasy. Maybe it just rotted enough to part company with the frog.

Posted by .

Thanks for the input, folks. Could be either of those things, I suppose.

The bug thing is mildly disturbing, but not as bad as the cockroach colony in my guitar.

ha! If you ditched the guitar and spent more time playing fiddle you’d have no bugs at all…

time for a trip to the luthier. You’ll be glad you did.

I just came back from my luthier today with a new fiddle….. oh good lord I’m in love.

Definitely bow bugs.

Watch out, the case is infected, do not put your new fiddle and bow in that old case. That case needs to be thrown out.

Oh wait, I thought the OP was saying he got a new fiddle and bow.

Anyway, to the OP, the bow needs to be re-haired of course. Leave the fiddle and bow in indirect sunlight for a while to scare the critters away. I don’t trust the method of leaving the case in sunlight to get rid of the bugs, they might just migrate to whatever dark nooks an crannies they can find.

I’ve known people who’ve tried everything from sunlight to moth balls to disinfect a case, and still had problems. It’s really hard to be sure that they are gone from a case, best to ditch the case.

This is why I always store my bows in a china cabinet that gets indirect sunlight. Don’t store your bow in your case long-term, just put them in the case when you go somewhere (this way you can be that annoying fiddler who keeps forgetting his bow and has to borrow one from another fiddler).

And if you stop putting cigarette ends in your guitar, the roaches will go back under the fridge where they belong.

Posted by .

Bow bugs are just household carpet mites who have found your bow. If your case is infested, the chances are your house is too, so buying a new case is a bit pointless - it will just get infested too.

Just give the case a thorough vacuuming, and leave it (and all its internal compartments) open in sunlight for a couple of days to get rid of them.

To stop them coming back mothballs work, but they make your fiddle stink. Keeping a cloth or pad sprayed with a Permanone based mosquito repellant in one of the compartments will work just as well, without the smell.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Regarding the roaches, I was being a bit melodramatic. They’ve been gone for years, but they left plenty of egg cases behind.

what skreech said…bow bugs…they don;t like sunlight…I wouldn;t do mothballs, but every time (every day) you play leave your case open in the sunlight…