Public Domain Tunes?

Public Domain Tunes?

Could anyone point me in the right direction to see whether the following Irish tunes are "public domain" (i.e., you don’t have to pay anyone royalties to record them)?

Silver Spear
Maid Behind the Bar
St. Anne’s Reel

I tried looking on harryfox.com, and got some hits on these tunes, but im not sure I understand what it means since there’s no sheet music or audio files accompanying the hits.

Re: Public Domain Tunes?

Paddy Maloney most likely ‘owns’ them.

John Galt, thanks very much for the info. Just a question— based on the information in those links, how do you know they are all in the public domain?

LaUni, that’s why I wrote "appear to be"—I don’t know for certain that those tunes are in the public domain. I’m not a lawyer, or a copyright expert. I just offered the links for informational purposes. What you think of the information they offer is entirely up to you.

You may find tunes with copyrights on them in situations where the performer has copyrighted their arrangement, which doesn’t mean the tune itself is copyrighted. Generally, I have been told that if a tune can be found in a collection over 75 years old, you can assume it is in the public domain.

if it’s not public domain the composer should be listed on the recording, or the sheet music.

Is there an easy search engine for finding tunes of the public domain>