Any trad musicians out there who play oboe?

Any trad musicians out there who play oboe?

Does anyone know of any Irish trad musicians who play the oboe? Preferrably based in Ireland.

Posted .

Re: Any trad musicians out there who play oboe?

I have been known to play the pink oboe.

But I don’t think it would be particularly suitable for trad music.

I was refraining from making a similar gag, but now you’ve beaten me to it!

The thought of it makes me gag, but I will admit to being hetero-prejudiced, concerning the Acts themselves.
I have however, conducted a few beautfiful symphonies using my baton. However, I would be interested if other pieces need playing. My rates are competitive.

My mate in Sarf london called Sarah alledgedly plays the blowing down a flattened staw gob stick t’ing…
But that’s up to her to mention it to you…

I used to play oboe. Gave it up long ago with absolutely no regrets.

I play oboe but prefer fiddle for sessions

"An ill wind that nobody blows any good…"

(Sir Thomas Beecham, I believe.)

Soprry I can’t be more constructive!

fnarr, have you ever heard an oboe? It’s no accident that orchestras tune to the oboe - it’s the one instrument that you can always still hear over the racket of a full symphony orchestra tuning up. And for that reason alone it is as welcome in traditional music as a trumpet or GHB.

I wonder just now why the illustrious oboe has not found a wider base in blues music.

It seem quite appropriate, reading over the above.
😏

Posted by .

"I’m out again on tha’ trail with ain’t no place to call home, jus’ me and my good ol’ oboe…"

To be brutally frank I don’t think it is suited to Irish Trad music. Lovely instrument but I remain unconvinced as to its suitability in this genre. Please convince me otherwise. Unless you meant the O’Bow?

The modern oboe is a very penetrating symphony orchestra instrument, but if you want to play the oboe in trad music I suggest the way to go is a baroque oboe. It is significantly different - warmer tone, dynamically flexible and less penetrating, and fewer keys than its modern counterpart. I think it is to the modern oboe as the wooden flute is to the concert flute.

The House Band used the bombard, an instrument in the oboe family, to great effect. I enjoyed very much their Rockall album.

Anyway, it seems my intentions in asking the question are not clear, so to clairfy.

1) I’m not looking for someone to play the Bucks of Oranmore on the oboe. So all ye trad police can rest easy.

2) I’m looking for someone who understands trad, maybe plays Irish flute or something and who also plays oboe.

3) It’s for a project that isn’t traditional music, but needs players who understand trad because they’ll be playing with other trad musicians.

4) I’m more likely going to want them to play the baroque oboe than the modern one.

Now that’s cleared up, are there any such musicians?!!!

Posted .

Ladies and gentlemen: an oboe is really just a bagpipe without the bag.

John Skelton of the House band does play the bombard, an oboe cousin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard_%28music%29
But he lives in Kentucky. Interview here: http://www.firescribble.net/flute/skelton.html

Only trad oboe player I know is Paul Sartin of Bellowhead, Faustus, etc, in England: http://www.paulsartin.co.uk/
A fine musician.

A moment’s googling turned up this:
http://www.celticcollections.com/product/best-of-the-oboe/CCCD_915
which is the sort of think that prejudice immediately alights upon and says "ugh."

Good luck!

It’s a pity that Derek Bell isn’t still alive. The only person I can think of is David Agnew who plays with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra and can be contacted via his modestly titled http://www.oboeking.com site.

Posted by .

Any trad players out there who play the bugle, marimba, Mellotron or hot water bottle?

Any trad players out there who play the bugle, marimba, Mellotron or hot water bottle?

Anyway, I was hoping there might be some great open-minded musician out there who’s tried to transfer Irish flute and piping techniques to the oboe. Any takers?

Posted .

I’ve still got tinnitus from sitting too close to the front when John Skelton played his bombarde at our folk club in 1992.

I’d love to hear how the project turns out.

I made a serious suggestion two posts above your last message.

Posted by .

So did I.

Fnarr, I wasn’t being sarcastic, I thought I might be helping by pointing out why the idea is stupid.

But since you now say it is for a ‘non trad project’, that raises a couple of other questions:

1. If it’s a ‘non-trad project’, why do you need a trad musician? just get a classical oboer, they can play anything.

2. If it’s a ‘non-trad project’, do you really expect people in here to help you butcher the music they love?

fnarr, All joking, sarcasm and windups aside, I really don’t think the oboe is suited to Irish Traditional Music. It would change the basic sound too much for me. That is purely my opinion. You may freely hold yours, and I won’t make a judgement. I do think I am open minded, but on this occasion I wouldn’t want an oboe in a session I would attend. Sorry if you took my wind-up seriously. You can often get jostled on this site, but it’s nothing personal.

Thanks to anyone who suggested any players or any genuinely helpful tips about the oboe.

Posted .

http://www.swallowtail.com/David.html David Cantieni plays oboe and other winds in a New England style contra dance band here in the states. Their repertoire includes quite a bit of irish music and they tend to fill the halls where ever they play.

I think it is hilarious that players of accordions, banjos, whistles, bagpipes, harmonicas, horsehair rubbing on cat gut and bodhrans are worried that their tender ears might be offended by an oboe.

A woman turned up at our session with an oboe and it was probably the least obnoxious sound there.

So I guess Rudall is right, if you take the bag off of the bagpipe there is no place for it in this music….it sounds too good.

FWIW, I’ve enjoyed a well-played clarinet in sessions—the player knew the tunes and the articulations. But I’ve never heard an oboe play the tunes.

Posted .

Looks like I’ve got a new best friend here 🙂

Just to clear some things up. People have described the oboe as ‘bagpipes without the bag’ - it is, but it is GHB without a bag - like the GHB chanter, the oboe has a conical bore, which makes it loud. I think (though one of the pipers may correct me) that all the of pipes used in sessions have a straight bore, which makes them very much quieter. I wouldn’t want someone playing a GHB chanter in a session, any more than I would want an oboe.

The modern orchestra has been designed to give a balanced sound. They use two oboes v. thirty fiddles.

It is true that in the electronic age you can perform all sorts of magic, and have a solo fiddle backed by a pipe band, or a guitar and oboe duet. But if you can’t do it in a power-cut it ain’t trad. And if you aren’t interested in keeping your work traditional, why do you need a traditional musician? Why not give the dots to a classical player? Or just MIDI the oboe in. I for one have no interest in helping someone who seems to be trying to create the next Riverdance.

Uilleann pipes do not have a straight bore.

Oh my -
"Straight" and "bore".

Stop helping us.
😉

Posted by .

My appologies ma’am. I knew a bit about borders pipes, and assumed they were all the same.

Nope. The conical bore is how it plays two octaves.

Well skreech you did say you weren’t sure. And the spear helped you out. Fair enough. No big balooned up egos punctured.
Getting back to oboes, and yeah yeah, the question was *not* asked as to whether they would fit in in a session, neither was the question asked as to whether I would like to see/hear one or two at a session. Put it this way, I’ve never heard of the oboe being played at a session. The medium of the session seems nowadays to be the bedrock of Irish - and now, so I hear, Scottish - music. no doubt some cleverclogs will pick me up on that point.

To be fair, I’ve just worked out who fnarr is, and now realise that it was a genuine enquiry with a genuine purpose. But the way he put the question made it look from his first post as though he was an oboist looking for an excuse to wreck a session, and from his second as thought he was a wacko wanting to put together some sort of ‘world-trad-classical-fusion’ band.

Sorry mate.

Years ago I played in an impromptu session with a young woman, a college student, who played the oboe. I play the fiddle. The girl meant well, but I came to the conclusion that the instrument just isn’t meant to be played in Irish (or other) folk sessions.

The cassettes/CDs for the book "Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland" had Aisling Casey playing some of the tunes on oboe; other tracks have Niall Vallely, Matt Cranitch, etc. Also a guy with a soprano sax. Like the song says, Anything Goes. Maybe Aisling could fit the bill, fnarr.

Bombardes are aptly named; they duet with the biniou, the shriekiest bagpipe ever. The "flat" Irish pipes with smaller holes and bores that were standard before the loud wider bore concert pipes were developed are similar in ways to the early oboes, and some wonder if there weren’t some cross-pollination going on.

The bombard and piston (same but in concert pitch) are practically the same as the oboe, have a double wet reed. The piston is more of a subtle sound and suited to playing with other trad musicians in a band or session setting. Check out good Breton groups like Gwerz and Skolvan for great examples of traditional tunes (Breton) played on what is essentially a baroque oboe.

I had a ceili band record many years ago which had someone playing a clarinet on it. Can’t remember which getup it was now. Don’t want to either. Oi, I just detected a whiff of anti-harmonica player up there. All I can say is that you should wait until you hear one that isn’t obsessed with the harmonica being the point of the thing. Some of us try hard to be in the right spirit.

I know a flute/piston (pastoral oboe)/bombarde/pipe player. The oboe fits in nicely to the odd session tune. He makes his own instruments.
www.myspace.com/jonathanshorland
He is based in Devon however, not Ireland.

Oh yeah, and my other bombarde player friend plays classical oboe. Also based in Devon however.