This is what I like about this site.

This is what I like about this site.

Prompted by another discussion with a similar title, what specifically do you value about this site, and why?

I’ve deliberately asked about positive reactions. I’m intrigued to see what people get out of visiting here, and how that compares with my own experience.

To kick off with my “likes”: I found a great musician through a picking up on a remark on this site, and we ended up collaborating and eventually, performing in a festival together.

Yours?

Re: This is what I like about this site.

I like learning about a genre of music that was completely unknown to me when I joined six years ago. I have learned a lot since. I enjoy reading the posts of old friends, as well as the supportive advice given to newcomers.

1. It ties me into a community of people who play the music. For too long I’ve been in the wilderness! I’ve learned a lot from them; not sure they’ve got so much from me - except perhaps high blood-pressure 🙂

2. The fact that it helped me to find a session near here.

3. The fact that I can be about 90% certain of finding a tune in the archive.

it gives me a variety of tune formats to try and work with. i can just hop on to find a tune. i learn a lot about the way the whole scene works. but mostly (and i am always extremely gratefull) most of the people here have helped me get started with learning the fiddle and saved me from a few pitfalls, and you guys have helped with alot of other stuff too. even if my wording is sometimes a little awry. long live thesession and thanks again to everyone.

Well I learned a good few years ago never ask a serious question on this site.
Apart from the usual suspects just extracting the urine and trying unsuccessfuly to be funny the answers one gets can be totally confusing. One person will answer saying one thing then someone else will tell you the oposite, this then degenerates into a slagging match between opposing views and no clear answer is ever given.
On the positive side the tune database is useful and that’s the only reason I come on here occasionally.

Good people with likes for similar music types as I do.
Good slagging matches which you have to learn to Give +Take.
Good Advice for new comer’s and older for that matter.
Good tune finder and getting even better as time goes on.
Good fun at times - without that just pack it in.

When you look at the start of every line above you’ll see what I
am trying to say about this site,,, is its — ‘’ GOOD ‘’ - Very.
jim,,,

I like that it’s a great place to meet other people who share a common interest (obsession?). Through the discussions that I have been involved in here, I have gained a few close friends that I probably wouldn’t have even met otherwise. And I’ve gained friends all over the world, which gives me the chance to find people to play with when I travel, and usually a couch to crash on when I’m there…

I have developed a lot of the ways that I think about the music through the discussions (and arguments) on this site. And what’s funny is I have probably learned the most from the “usual suspects”, whom people seem to immediately dislike because of their online mannerisms. (But if you stop knee-jerk reactions to how they say something, and try to actually listen to what they’re saying, there’s often a lot of wisdom there). But honestly, you can learn as much, or more, from disagreeing with someone as you might from agreeing with them… So it has really helped me formulate my own thoughts in a more defined way.

In the beginning, I came to learn. I still learn a lot, and occasionally can pay that debt forward by giving some information to others.
I used to find sessions when I traveled, but due to job change, don’t get around much any more.
But these days I mostly just drop in to chat with people who love the same music I love.

What’s not to like about musicians? I like the irony.
On the surface the discussions seem like continuous battles. There is actually a sense of community on the forum. People are troubled, people are happy, some know things, some hope to learn, there are prats, there is generosity, erudition, pontification, wit, sophistry, popcorn recipes, fishing tips, hiking tips … & every now & then something to do with music.

I strongly disagree with Pete about some of the statements you just posted, Reverend. 😉

Posted by .

There’s a lot to like about this site.
I’ve had very good advice from knowledgeable people here esp. on banjo’s which was totaly new to me two years ago.

I like the graphics and adds here.

I like the amount of info on celebrity gossip and pop culture.

Every now and then I pick up a good tune from the discussion board.

Every now and then someone posts a good clip. Here’s one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7Pd4Qwumc&feature=related

Being a Yank who came to ITM as an adult and has had only minimal time in Ireland, I appreciate learning about the music from people who grew up in it and around it.

Despite issues with the way some tunes are notated and titled, the library of tunes housed here is the best resource for getting the framework of a tune that I’ve heard and want to remember.

I like reading and learning from all the diverse perspectives.

Have met many people and become good friends. Then you have an “in” when you visit an unfamiliar session.

Posted .

It’s nice to be pointed in different directions, such as videos, radio programmes, recordings, instrument makers, books, types of strings – the list is long – that otherwise I would have missed. It’s a bit like looking up a word in a dictionary: I usually finish up an hour later on a completely different page saying, ‘Well I didn’t know that.’ It is also good to hear other people’s opinions on things, musical or otherwise. By coincidence, Mr Harmer, I spent several hours yesterday going through your videos while working on an O’ Carolan tune (Your fee is in the post).

Posted by .

It’s also fun to listen to people complain(in regards to the tune data base on this site) about the way a tune is notated in this oh so ‘aural’ tradition.

The huge repository of music contained here. I’ll never need a tune book again!

i like how helpful people are on here. definitely more of them than there are unhelpful ones.

Posted .

“One person will answer saying one thing then someone else will tell you the oposite, this then degenerates into a slagging match between opposing views and no clear answer is ever given.”

Yes, that’s one of the things I like, because what you’re describing can also be seen as “various people will present various views, and the learner is left to figure out what works best for them.”

If there were a “clear answer” (ie, if bodhrans [were/were not] [always/never] acceptable in sessions, if guitarists could reliably find good accompaniments, or could never find them, if alternate picking were always or never a good idea for plectrum instruments, name your favorite dispute) then there wouldn’t be much point in a discussion board. “thesession.org” would be a FAQ and a tune archive, not a community. Since the tune archive is abominable - as many have noted - and unnecessary - as many have noted - the whole business would wither and die without the disagreements that, admittedly, sometimes raise hackles and lead to disputes and name-callings.
Just keep in mind that people who call other people names are just big jerk-face poopyheads, so we can ignore them.

This question gets asked every few months - so I’ll give the same answer as last time – this site is like living in County
Sessionorg. It gave me a huge kick start and helped get
my head around the great wall of sound I walked into four
years ago in my local session.

The tune bank is great but you really have to supplement it
with sessions, recordings and concerts. Often the versions appearing in the comments are better than the posted version.

It’s a good reality check. You find out for example the types of
strings most people use, the common brands of
instruments that veteran players consider to be good. Who the
benchmark Irish trad musicians are so can you get your ears educated properly.

This site is a treasure trove. When I first stumbled upon it, I was just looking for the tune of the month or week or whatever Jeremy was doing back then. I had only been playing for a year or two, and thought that them Irish songs were pretty catchy.

When the discussion board came along, I lurked and learned all sorts of interesting bits: links to music that I really needed to listen to, references to musicians that I had never heard of but really needed to listen to, the floating definition of a daggy tune, that it was not weird to sit and play tunes for hours, and that there was this game called Mornington Crescent. What a journey.

In fact, I’m thinking that the mustard board kept me dragging out the fiddle in the dry times when I had no one to share a tune with. The mustard board assured me that there characters out there who played this music, and I was bound to run into them at some point. Good thing, too, because I was ready for them when they showed up.

And, aside from a few troll infestations, it is a pretty civil place. The folks who have been here for the long haul usually have some valid points of view, and the trolls have short attention spans. So it is still worth checking in a few times a week.

Awwww. Group hug! 😀

“….people who call other people names are just big jerk-face poopyheads….”

I resemble that remark!

Posted .

No, Will, not people who call other people BY their names. That’s okay, you’re fine.

Trollism…

What I like about this site is the trollism of an highly informed variety.
We are very good at it on this forum!

I love lurking and learning, learning about music and much much more! Where else can I go in the middle of the night (I work long night shifts) for a friendly chat, a fantastic link, and often a loud laugh? Thanks to all!

The comments section of the tunes database, some real little gems of information contained there in. Some sharp musical minds contributing with knowledgeable input. A long way from being a “master system” but none the less I think you’d be hard pressed to find greater collection of knowledge in narrative contained anywhere in one place, on the web, concerning ITM. Three cheers for the comments section.

There is much pap contained also, by way of dodgy transcriptions incorrect information etc but ain’t that just the intertweb ; ) You just have to sort it out for yourself and if unsure, you can always start a thread and ask, the sesh.org police will soon sort out the wheat from the chaff.

There are some real knowledgeable “anoraks” (sorry can’t think of a more appropriate term) keeping watchful eyes on the proceedings and keeping things accurate, or at least pointing out alternative ways of thinking about the subject matter and sharing their knowledge. Even if that sharing is an inadvertent by product of a non altruistic motive.

Also I value the serial tune posters, who must just sit at home transcribing their way through albums and adding abc’s as they go, when not contributing to the comments section or threads.

Giving me somewhere to lurk when stuck overseas with limited band width.

Lively spirited and not heavily moderated makes this a rather unique site, so well done Jeremy and well done everybody else for making it what it is.

I like being insulted by Bogman.

Wait! Session.org group hug without ME? Oh heck no, everybody get back in here and gather round!

Would you care to elaborate Richard?

I like this web site because I can discuss and talk about one of my favorite genres of music with other musicians from many other countries. I don’t always agree or disagree with these other musicians, but I still enjoy reading and participating in the discussions. Especially when the discussion is about a subject I am familiar with such as whether or the piano should be played at sessions or accompanying other musicians. I have even met a few other pianists on this web site who like to play this music.
As for the tunes, I find it useful on the rare occasions when I actually need to look at the “dots”.

Laurence

Ian, if you will put your fiddle down first, we will be glad to include you in the group hug.

Laurence

I enjoy the education of it all
I enjoy seeing grown men cry
I enjoy trying to visualise people faces
I enjoy the race to bottom that some threads get into
I enjoy even more the way some threads hit the bottom so fast that they rebound and everyone is friends again.
I enjoy the diplomacy of some and the complete absence in others.
I enjoy trying to work out whether some people are drunk, hung over or that’s the way they are..
I enjoy the way people just don’t know when to stop.
STOP

I like this site but am seriously confused by all the names people use, and why in so many instances they change them.

All the best

Brian x