5-string banjo A/V tuition materials

5-string banjo A/V tuition materials

Can anyone recommend a good tuition DVD for the 5-string banjo?

My wife just bought one for herself and I have set it up for her but my two jobs and the winter are making it difficult to seek personal instruction - from myself or anyone else.

She already knows the dirt basics but wants to get started on playing tunes. Her interests are primarily in frailing and playing old-timey stuff, she isn’t interested in Scruggs, et al. just yet.

Thanks!

Re: 5-string banjo A/V tuition materials

Try homespun.com

They have plenty of bluegrass and old time DVD tutors. Including clawhammer

Posted by .

Try looking for Patrick Costello on You Tube and Google. He has good basic instructional videos and also
free down-loadable stuff, instructions and tune books. Be warned that some banjo players look on him as the Anti-Christ but if you don’t want to be too precious about the subject you can learn a lot.

Posted by .

Just out of curiousity - where the H**l are you ?
I HATE biogs that give absolutely no geographical data.
Why do I think you’re in the NW of the US of A ? Just a guess.
On the other hand, if you are in North London UK, Cecil Sharpe House is running banjo classes on a Saturday. "Er Indoors has progressed from sounding like the background music to "Life on the Old Plantation" to something more like "Deliverance" in a couple of years. All on my old banjo I bought from a bus-driver in 1965 for £4…..

You’re not far off the mark, Pete - London would be a hike (and a swim) 😀

We’ll look at homespun. Can anyone offer a specific recommendation for a beginner - from experience? Thanks.

I used Bob Carlin’s tutot (from Homespun) As complete novice to clawhammer it got me started nicely. Good video of both hands at the same time so you can see what is happening. Good explanations.

Posted by .

It’s not a DVD, but a book with a cd. Wayne Erbsen’s ‘Clawhammer Banjo for the Complete Ignoramous’. He also has a YouTube channel where he puts on some lessons.

I know I’m probably biased, but it is seriously the best book out there for beginners. I know from experience…not only did my husband learn from it in Italy (where there aren’t any other clawhammer players around), but I learned from it by proofreading the new edition to make sure that it works. It does. Best banjo investment you’ll ever make, aside from the banjo itself.

Thanks, the Erbsen route is a good idea. I’m surprised I didn’t think of it myself, I’ve been listening to him for years.

She is sporadically viewing some type of online lessons from YT right now so she’ll probably jump right into this. Thanks again.

Happy to spread the joy of my daddy’s banjo-teachin’ 🙂. There are both clawhammer and bluegrass banjo ‘for ignoramus’ books, so make sure to get the appropriate one. Available on amazon and on his website at www.nativeground.com

Another alternative, although I think it might be more intermediate than beginner. There’s a terrific banjo player on my side of the pond, Hunter Robertson, and he just put out an instructional DVD. I’ve seen him teach (he has some great instructional youtube clips, and he’s taught my hubby a private lesson), and he’s good. His website also really rich in banjo-learning resources http://hunterrobertson.com/

Tony Trischka has a book/CD collection: Master Collection of Fiddle Tunes for Banjo with lots of great Irish tunes in it. He also has the Tony Trischka School of Banjo, an on-line instruction website with a couple of hundred video lessons, and you can exchange videos with him of things you are working on and he responds with great suggestions, techniques, and tunes for you to learn. $20 a month—a bargain if you are serious about getting better on your instrument.