Moving to Cornwall

Moving to Cornwall

Should be moving in a couple of weeks but as I shall be without interweb for a while when I move in, I thought I would do my research now. I have checked the Sessions section like the good boy I am but am wondering what else is on offer. Any ideas?

Posted by .

Re: Moving to Cornwall

Steve Shaw lives in Cornwall, he is very friendly.

I should also have mentioned that I am going to Hayle, down towards the wet end of Cornwall.

Posted by .

What else is on offer other than no sessions? Among other things, Kernow offers drab grey buildings, lonely boring rural countryside, a lack of decent public transport, stroppy by-laws about drinking/ walking/ talking, miles and miles to a decent shop, tedious white mono-culture, becoming over run with grockles during the season, a 6 or more hour drive to London and simmering xenophobia.

Don’t sit on the fence yhaal, declare yourself. Express your opinion.

Yeah, come on, there must be a down side.

Moving to Scunthorpe

Len, is it too late to change your mind and go to Seejithorpe. A new session has just started in that area.

y not move 2 Edinburgh.

I live very near Cornwall myself…. Cornwall, New York that is. Don’t suppose you are moving here?

You just really wanted to type that, didn’t you, yhaalhouse? 🙂

Why? What’s wrong with Seejithorpe? Good place for hotwiter bottles I’m told.

Posted by .

I just did a google search for Seejithorpe and every single one of the results takes you to thesession. Brilliant eh?

Posted .

Hi len. Ignore these morons! 😉 Cornwall is beautiful and very welcoming. You will be at the opposite end of the county to me (Bude) but there’s a lot more going on down there than there is up this end. My experience of sessions at your end is limited, though I have been to some, and I can recommend the Star Inn at St Just, the Tinners Arms at Zennor and the Gurnard’s Head, also near Zennor, all of which have good sessions (I can’t remember the days offhand but look ‘em up anyway in case they’ve changed). There will be others I’m sure that I don’t know about. Investigate the Union Inn in St Ives too. You’ll never move away again!

I give a thumbs up to the Gurnard’s Head and the Star, if I’ve got the names right. There was also a Cornish session in Redruth that was very cool. Not sure if that’s still going. Apparently there’s a session in Falmouth as well, but I never got out to that one. All in all there was too much driving to get to all the sessions in Cornwall and I didn’t make it out much when I was living there. Musicians at any one of those sessions will likely know about all the others. 🙂

Steve - the "county"? Isn’t Cornwall a Duchy? And the Duke of Cornwall is also the Prince of Wales, HRH Prince Charles. And doesn’t he own Cornwall, or at least a substantial part of it. And to manage the land he has very astutely set up environmental charities so he doesn’t have to pay for it himself. God, he is so smart with money. I can’t for him to become king…..hmmm… maybe Yhaalhouse is right after all…..

Don’t get me started on that! The Condems are trying to change constituency boundaries in such a way as to make one straddle the Cornwall/Devon border (more correctly known as the Kernow/England border), so watch out for Cornish Army activity any time soon! Yeah, the driving in Cornwall is a pain, especially if you’re a drinker. Our every-other-Friday session is over 30 miles from Bude, mostly down those charming country lanes in the pitch-dark, and three of us take it in turns to drive. With petrol at £1.30-plus per litre down yer it isn’t funny.

Hi Kerri by the way! 🙂

>The Condems are trying to change constituency boundaries in such a way as to make one straddle the Cornwall/Devon border
That’s outrageous, Steve. Nothing short of gerrymandering.

You are, of course, referring to the Ooh Ah A!

….so it’s a month this time, is it? I’m actually beginning to despair.

Ooh Ah A

Sorry I was a bit previous mentioning the Kernow National Liberation Front or wotteffah they are called…

You want to watch it yhaal, and don’t start giving out about bagpipes sounding like vaccuum cleaners, because they have pipes in Cornwall. The Kernow National Liberation Front will be sending you exploding pasties through the post if you don’t watch out.

We spent a week or two down there last summer and found lots of friendly people and fun sessions, quite eclectic ( the performance of "Plastic Jesus" at Cadgwith stands out in my memories still ), but of course some of these people are blow-ins and retirees (like yourself ?).
It is true about distances, monoculture, and grey granite buildings, but, hey, I’m from Guernsey, these things ( apart from distances ) seem very familiar and reassuring.

Blow-in or retiree? I’ve lived here for 25 years and my wife (who spent her childhood in Launceston) and I have had most of our careers here (as teachers). My kids went to school here and we’re involved in the local community. I even ran the bloody flower and produce show in our village for several years! I suppose you qualify as"no longer a blow-in" once you’ve been in the churchyard for 20 years, huh?

The ConDems have the relevant constituencies stitched up between them, anyway. Why do they want to *poke* these people? It’s a bad idea. They will begin to seethe and grow restive and give trouble on the South-West Frontier, possibly culminating in storming the Glastonbury Festival and putting its performers to flight with volleys of prickly pears or whatever they grow down there. I would be willing to offer them some paltry inducement to do this, now I come to think of it.

I suppose you qualify as"no longer a blow-in" once you’ve been in the churchyard for 20 years, huh?
ur den a blw out

Also, I’m sure its possible to live entirely on the many varieties of pastie they offer. Rick Steins stand out particularly in my memory, but of course he’s a blow-in too.

Barnecutt’s pasties. Or Anne’s at The Lizard. No contest.

I’ve good memories of my only trip to Cornwall, a week’s painting course near Port Isaac in 1990. I remember one night hearing over a bit of time *one* car horn in the distance - the silence was such a nice change from living (then) next to what amounted to Canterbury’s ring road, gridlocked and honking 24/7.

Definitely not bloody Rick Stein’s. Over-priced and rubbish. Even the seagulls won’t nick ‘em.

Posted by .

Is Gurnards Head session definitely going? last time I was there, I heard it had stopped when taken over by new owners some years back.

I’m afraid I’m not up to date. Wrong end of Cornwall for me. It takes almost two hours on a good day for me to get down that end! It was going two or three years ago for sure.