Troubadour Bouzouki/Octave Mandolin

Troubadour Bouzouki/Octave Mandolin

has anyone had the oppertunity to check them out if so how would u rate them?

Re: Troubadour Bouzouki/Octave Mandolin

A friend got one, and I had a brief opportunity to play it.
On the basis that you get what you pay for, I would say that the ‘zouk was reasonable value for money.
On the other hand, if your budget is bigger, keep looking.
I would say that, if you don’t need the one with the built-in bug, then get the other one and you can modify/improve the bridge and tailpiece ( always my advice on cheaper ‘zouks ).
Personally I felt that a larger soundbox on the ‘zouk would have been good. Don’t know how that would apply to the octave mandolin.

How much do they cost? Not sure but I don’t think they have a truss rod either - that might be cause for concern latter on.

I didn’t realise David K had started selling them again. He gave up for a while due to too much hassle with suppliers.

I had a Troubadour bouzouki for a while, one from before the gap in production.
As delivered it needed a bit of setup work, the nut was very high, the bridge needed adjustment, and the strings supplied were horrible, but at the price, who’s complaining.

It was very light, very resonant, fairly harpsichord like in sound.
Great for the money. I sold it to a friend because I was concentrating on fiddle. If I can remember who I sold it to, I’ll ask them if they’re still playing it.

troubadur bouzouki have a truss rod.
marin

I have one (bouzouki), its alright, havent got round to upgrading the bridge and tailpiece yet, and am still to find strings that I’m happy with, the ones I have on at the moment, D’addarios if I remember right, were so floppy in GDAD that I tuned up to AEBE it feels more alive now, but I think it would benifit from a new bridge and tailpiece, whats the best way to go in that regard?

For about $400 you can get one of those Luna bouzoukis. Has anyone played one? Are they worth it? I think that the Celtic knot soundhole is kinda crass.. But if it plays well..

What is with the odd fret spacing on that Hora Bouzouki? Does it have neutral thirds (extra frets between the major and minor) or is it missing some of the frets one would normally have?

I believe Lindley took those frets out to emulate a middle eastern instrument - a latva, perhaps.

It looks as though it has had frets added to give the Eastern 15 note scale. Which probably means it’s now a Baglama or Saz or something, not a Bouzouki.

The point is that — except for the refret job — it’s a stock Hora zouk. Lindley probably has a slew of them — some without conversion from standard temperament.

They don’t have the best acoustic tone, but they are functional … especially if you throw a pickup into it.

Posted by .

There’s a more recent thread mentioning the "Celtic" ‘zouks from Germany. I haven’t seen one, but some people seem to like them.

But some don’t, as well.
Maybe the answer is to select one in person, to be sure you have a viable instrument, rather than buying over the internet.