kid dont like trad!

kid dont like trad!

So we had our first child 8 weeks ago. A wee boy. Today I played some Tommy Peoples to him and he started to cry. I gasped in horror but put it down to him not liking the fiddle. So I put on some Davy Spillane and the same result. I tried de dannan, lunasa, the bothy band everything but all with the same result. So obviously my kid don’t like trad. So I’ve an 8 week old boy for sale 🙂

Nah, ill keep him, he may come round yet.

Re: kid dont like trad!

Ha! Try something mellow like some Hayes & Cahill?

Fairport Conventio, not really trad but if you start him off on that he should come round! 🙂

* Convention

How about Yvonne Casey?

Posted by .

Drawing on deep wells of primal instinctive wisdom, he may have assumed something was coming to eat him.

His cries were to bring his mother bounding to his side with a deep roar, ready to charge the threat.

I don’t have children. But, aren’t they always changing. Sometimes they want to sleep, sometimes they want to play, sometimes they want to vomit, sometimes they want to be the center of attention … I see why you considered selling your boy. But, only for a nanosecond. We’re here for you session savage. You’re in for the long haul. ;)

Posted by .

Was he hungry? Tends to override music appreciation. 😀

At any rate, don;t fret. I once bet my father a hundred grand that I’d never listen to "country music." Hum.

Congrats savage! Patience is a virtue. If he starts off with Ba-ba black sheep, then the only way is up!

Congratulations Savage,

Try some lovely Scottish Airs from a Johnny Cumingham recording. He will love them.

Mary

Thanks folks. I think some Martin Hayes or some Kevin burke may be the ticket. Suppose its a bit much to expect an 8 week old to appreciate tommy peoples triplets 🙂

Ah I won’t give up on him.

I think a few full grown fiddlers’ have been brought to tears trying to get those triplets.

Posted by .

i expect he has many other fine qualities, and more will become evident.

if the music is around, how can he resist going for it at some point?

i’d say keep him.

If you sell him now, then you forgo the option of renting him out as he grows older. I don’t know what you should do for the present problem of getting him to go to sleep. A few years from now — and as he becomes more and more individuated — you might forbid him to take any interest in Trad. This could drive him to playing Trad as an act of defiance.

Yeah, right. 😉

Posted by .

Maybe a Celtic Woman disk would do the trick?

He might be a Motorhead or AC/DC man. Try some Metallica too,
or 9 Inch Nails. What about the classics - Led Zep, Black Sabbath …

Or he might be Mahler man, or Debussy …

Try giving him a shot of whiskey, then play the music again.

Try a bodhran.

Posted by .

My youngest when a toddler saw me playing all the time and heard many ITM tunes I listened to, but no great interest.
One day I put on the start on Beethoven’s 5th, His eyes lighted up as if the musical side of his brain had just been turned on - lol.
Now he plays Lead Guitar and loves Shostakovitch,, An only lately ask to try the fiddle,,,
jim,,,

I’ve heard some parents rub a little alcohol (whiskey) on their baby’s gums when their teething.

That is when you might want to try it again with the recordings. 😉

I think gravelwalks is on the right track, if feeding time also means bothy or Dannan time it he could turn around.

Check his diaper!! It is the first time you expose him to ITM? I am kind of crazy but I do have a little bun in the oven and I have been playing for baby everyday. I also did put headphones on my dear lady’s belly and been playing all kind of music. I can’t tell if he is responding to music, but his mum seems to think so. Start early…

Yon Can’t start to early ,

< Check his diaper!! >
You can alway get him/her back by making them learn this tune — lol.

” The Stool of Repentance ”

jim,,,

haha

Posted by .

maybe you should try soar patrol on him, my mates 3 month old girls loves it! big drums, bagpipes and electric guitars, and she headbangs. really funny. cant vote for taste though.

Ever since Leopold & Anna Maria had that little genius brat it’s kept parent’s expectations too high. Babies rarely have good taste. But it might be better than what happens later ~ pre-teen, adolescence. Becoming human is a long learning process. Lots of music, lots of different types of music. Just as long as it is feels like music to you. By that I mean there is alot (sorry Mac) of mixing/sampling/combining sounds as the modern substitute for music. Les Paul pioneered dubbing, & he was brilliant, but now even good musicians are letting sound engineers decide what the music sounds like.

Sorry, I just found this soapbox & couldn’t stop myself.

Posted by .

Stop me before I post again!

The important bit. Be sure he hears music & a variety of styles & genres. He’ll thank you. Many years from now.

Posted by .

Kids hear v high frequencies that others cant. Possibly some really irritating sounds that you cant hear. Or maybe he just dont like trad.

Wait!

I hated trad growing up (and that’s not an understatement), I once fell asleep in a Dubliner’s concert and when on a family holiday my dad bumped into Ronnie Drew, all I could exclaim was "Who is that fella? He looks like Fidel Castro!" on account of his gold rings and big fat cigar.

But I came round! Do like my dad did - infuriate your child all through their life and into their late teens by blasting trad out of a sound system (or your fiddle) as often and as loud as you can. Then once they reach adulthood they’ll get it and be a convert!