The Barack Obama Reel

Re: The Barack Obama Reel

it’s not a reel

Posted .

i care

especially as it’s some rip off of a decent song and not a tune that you would try and learn

Posted .

Rip-off? I believe tongue in cheek musical parody is the term you’re looking for. Although the song borrows heavily from Muirsheen Durkin, the musical hook during the breaks and at the end is the Obama reel - just to clarify things a bit.

I thought it was pretty clever, and look like a helluva lot of fun to make.

Good for you djf, care away. It’s your right to care.

Actually, there is a reel in between the singing.

Its the song Muirsheen Durkin with different word’s. and if you wait or fast forward it to the end you’ll here the same song Muirsheen Durkin, Jazzed up to sound like a reel .. jim,,,

This is a Reel -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7NxJDp4zQ

A ripoff of a a decent song? Muirsheen Durkin? Since when?

I think there are a few folk who just need to lighten up a little.

They certainly do need to, Alastair. Actually, I quite like the song Muisheen Durkin. I think it is a good classic Irish song. All the more reason to send it up 🙂

So goodbye Muirsheen Durkin, we’re sick and tired of working,
And since Barack’s been president, he’s made sure that we won’t …

Pretty sure that’s nursery-school economics there, NEW. It’s what they teach you before you can say words like ‘Federal Reserve’ or ‘Alan Greenspan’ or ‘fractional reserve lending’ or ‘total capitalist system failure’.

The song is based on this reel, according to wikki
https://thesession.org/tunes/1954

but wasn’t the song written as an American stage Irish thing in the early 1900’s or 1920’s? I’m not saying it was but if you listen to the earliest recordings of it it would make sense….

Yes your right it was a very interesting Era in Irish-American Music. One I have not looked into much Maybe another thread ?
On the good side, I think it was a good thing…
And on the bad side, There is no bad side if your only making music and having fun !
jim,,,

Well, I’ve heard of Farrel O’Bama.

…and Barack Hill … then again, that’s a slide, not a reel.

SWFL—

My bad.

It’s just that some mean, unenlightened people relayed me this nugget: “unemployment, which averaged 5.2 percent during the Bush administration, has averaged 9.4 percent under Obama,” and this tidbit, too: “black unemployment, at 12.6% in January 2009 is at 16.3%, or up 30% under Obama,” leading me to believe those numbers meant something!

I reckon I have lived and learned!

Of course there are more forces at play than just the President in determining employment levels. If you were cynical you might point out that it is the job of the Legislature to sort these things rather than the Executive.

On the other hand I am not American and so it is not my concern. This is also a music site and so commentary on the effectiveness of a national government is slightly outwith it’s purvue.

Something to reflect on though. Whatever you think about Obama the alternative does not inspire any confidence whatsoever:

http://www.someecards.com/2011/01/31/fox-news-doesnt-know-where-egypt-is

Oh and for the sake of your sanity, I wouldn’t spend too much time reading the comments.

It’s all bad NEW, elephants, donkeys, they both let rich gamblers torch the world economy. They’re all guilty. We all should have pulled an Iceland and let those central bank gamblers eat their own losses. "Waah! We’re too big to fail!" "Well you shouldn’t have been gambling then."

I mean, what were they going to do if we didn’t bail them out? Mess up the economy? 😉

Rudall the time - Liked that..
We should do that Game on here call it say, ” Face the Music ” -lol…
What about the Salamanca Reel to Start with, Hee Hee.
jim,,,

I was thinking something like that Jim. Try doing that with the Contradiction Reel 🙂

The economy collapsed under Mr Bush due to lax
regulation combined with PhD mathematicians on Wall Street
and their bosses who did not understand what they were doing.
Mr Obama is stuck with the job of patching things up, but it
will take years. In Mr Bush’s defence, he was unlucky to have
9/11 dumped on him, just as Mr Obama is unlucky too. Pretend
he’s not a Democrat and his father is a white man from Utah,
"NEW". Does that change anything for you?

Hi Danny!

Thanks for this. Like you said, it sure looks likethey had a lot of fun making this. Irrespective of what song or reel, surely this shows that having fun is a big part of music.

I loved the space shuttle; that is so clever!

All the best

Brian x

SWFL—
You’re right, the critters we elevate in the U.S. are almost always snakes shaped like the donkeys and the elephants they’ve swallowed. But New Yo-wahk bankers weren’t the only ones doing the insane driving that slammed us into the ditch in 2008. (See below, please …)

Hup—
Lady Gaga gets major, desperate media play, as does the particular instant-revisionist litany you cite. (One gets major media play to prop up the remnants of the recording industry, the other gets major media play to prop up the remnants of, er …)

The 1999 (the Clinton era!) New York Times article linked below foresaw it all, the crappy subprime mortgage sand foundation that ultimately gave way in 2008. Yikes, I wish I’d read and grasped this back then and had gotten in on that whole Big Short thing:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9c0de7db153ef933a0575ac0a96f958260

Funny how the Times doesn’t now resurrect or otherwise cite this, their own cautionary story from 1999, when yanking readers’ nose rings toward an understanding of the big crash. That’s just so puzzling! Not.

i was winding you up rudall

Posted .

There is something hopeful about it, yet nothing really happens.

I don’t understand the song. Good musicians though. As far as government goes, I am a student of Native American history. Guess how I feel about it? The government took care of the Indians, now they want to take care of us. I think I’ll worry about my fiddle now.

Should it be called the O’Bama reel…

Posted by .

Wind away djf. My spring got broke years ago.

I use my spring now for a Plectrum. Oh! thats another thread -
lol.. jim,,,

Pfizer has a little blue pill for that, Danny.

Posted by .

I might need one of those little blue pills. Are they giving away free samples?

Laurence

Laurence - If you go to your doctor and say you are having problems rolling out of bed at night then (s)he may be able to help you out.

Ben, the news here is that Pfizer are closing down their site in Kent. Bad news.

SWFL—

And I hear you (and back in the days of the S&L fiasco, a certain Senator McCain was absolutely one of the infamous Keating Five).

But as a senator, Obama did worse: he and Chris Dodd, in the years leading up to 2008, were handed more campaign $$$ by Fannie Mae than any other politicians in America. Why ? Obama and Dodd blocked the 2005 bill that would have forbidden Fannie Mae from holding mortgage-backed securities. We all know what happened as a result, three years later. Sorry, world. (Side note: Obama’s VP search committee was led by … wait for it … Fannie Mae’s C.E.O., Jim Johnson. Chummy.)

So FDR, he ain’t. Senator Obama played a huge part in causing the economic mess President Obama “inherited.”

OMG. You’ve been watching too much Fox news!

Posted by .

LOL! What about the other 98 members of the Senate? Were
they on holiday?

Jusa—

Hmmm. I wrote “Obama’s VP search committee was led by … wait for it … Fannie Mae’s C.E.O., Jim Johnson.”

And now my comeuppance—in link form—is this?: yes, Fannie Mae C.E.O. Jim Johnson did indeed lead Obama’s VP search committee—but only until he was forced to resign because he’d received $2 million in illegal loans from major Democrat fundraiser Angelo Mozilo. (He’s the guy who—to avoid prison—just paid the largest financial penalty against a public company’s senior executive in U.S. history). "Countrywide is on your siiiiide … " Remember? Mortgage fraud? Crash of 2008? No?

I think I know why the biggest mid-term electoral rebuke of a sitting president since 1938 … just … doesn’t … register with the faithful. (And I’m also beginning to think I know how Lenny Bruce felt, doing those last, newsrag-waving routines.)

Don’t avoid the question New pure Drops - do you have the dots for this reel or no?

And as a side note, no politician forced banks to sell and bundle knowingly bad loans, chop them up and sell them willy-nilly to buyers around the globe. De-regulation anyone?

Jusa—

See "M. Durkin" for the dots! Great melody, who doesn’t like that one?

On the bankers thing: Touché. My longwinded point was that the continuing “evil, greedy, hyper-capitalist New York banker” media explanation for the 2008 plunge tells a bare half of the story.

The, er, important other half is the reason WHY the banks’ mortgage-based derivatives were, at their root, worthless: agenda-driven politics had forced retail banks to give out bad loans, so-called “liar loans,” by the millions. (And the 2005 GOP Senate bill aimed at reining in Fannie and Freddie was voted down by every single Dem in the Senate.)

Now can we all sing Kumbayah?

Kumbayah is terribly cliche’ - let’s sing Muirsheen Durkin over a few pints instead - and then we can further discuss the many fingers in the honeypot that caused the crash. And really, who could ever trust two characters named Freddie & Fannie anyway - sounds like a 50’s sitcom

Sure, sláinte!

I guarantee you that anyone from the other side of the Atlantic who’s been crazy enough to read these U.S. econ/political posts has been getting big laughs out of the term "Fannie," which sho don’t mean there what it do here.

Amuhrica

This went political real quick. Let’s do President Garfield’s Hornpipe next:

- Charles Guiteau was a dick. Discuss .