Dance Tunes for Piano

Dance Tunes for Piano

I have to present some ideas of what I will be doing as a soloist for my performance class next monday (first time on stage alone scary stuff!)

I’ve spent ages trying to find some nice dance tunes but everything I’ve tried out so far has sounded awful on the piano- i don’t want to play anything that sounds gimmicky!

The only trad pianist I know is Michael O’Suilleabhain and sometimes he’s playing is a bit too "flowery" for my taste!

If you have any suggestions (e.g. youtube clips) that would be appreciated! Tunes don’t have to be played on piano! Nothing ridiculously fast please as I’m relatively new to playing ITM!

Cheers

Re: Dance Tunes for Piano

Try searching for O’Carolan : they aren’t all dance tunes, but he wrote some waltzes and slow jigs. The clips are mostly of the harp on Youtube, but also quite a bit on guitar. The notation is also easily available.

Posted by .

After playing Irish music on piano for many years, I think gam’s suggestion about Carolan tunes is a good idea and you should check into it.

Laurence

Cape Breton piano *accompaniment* sounds great. But they don’t try using it as a solo instrument. Are you good enough to do a sort of Liztian arrangement where an accompaniment that complicated and the melody line all get played by one pair of hands?

Probably the nearest thing you’ll find pre-arranged for you is the further-out arrangements of Percy Grainger. A lot more gutsy than Carolan (or O’ Suilleabhain), and he understood what a piano could do.

When I play Carolan tunes, I try to work out my own arrangements and keep it as simple as possible. I use whatever I think will work including Cape Breton style if necessary.

Laurence

What is Cape Breton style?

Try Mhairi Hall…

Yes~~~ to Andy Thorburn! And Dave Milligan as well….