Fisherstreet: Where are they now?

Fisherstreet: Where are they now?

Have just been listening to the album. It really was very very good. Why oh why oh why couldn’t they have released another one?

Re: Fisherstreet: Where are they now?

They did a reunion concert a few years ago.

Posted .

Nothing to stop them.. They are all playing great music. There was a lovely "hall like" echo to the sound that was produced on that album.

John and Seamus Mac Mahon, Dermot Lernihan , Frank Cullen, Noreen O’ Donoghue and Maurice Coyle. Now am I leaving anybody out?

Even though it hasn’t seen a physical re-release the album’s available for $9.99 download direct from the latest company to acquire the rights to the Mulligan label - http://compassrecords.com/store.php?catID=57.

Unfortunately, I never saw the entire band, but was in Cruises a couple of times when most of them were participating in a session.

Thats right MacCruiskeen. Dermot Lernihan and Seamus Mac Mahon (box and fiddle) held a Tuesday night residency there for years. Pity it stopped.

First sessions I ever attended as a youngster were with the lads in Jimmy Morgan’s (now Daly’s) in Corofin. Sunday nights, if I recall correctly. That would have been before Cruises was built. Great bunch of lads to be around, and mentors in every sense.

They’re still knocking around, playing tunes. Just doing their own things.

Does Cruises still have any sessions, big_tab?

I think it does but I dont really know the lads playing there now and its a far cry from the glorious Sunday lunchtime sessions with Tommy and Siobhán and Alf Duggan.

wonderful album

were they a West Clare band?
Fisherstreet,like.

i like dermot lernihan’s box playing a lot….he is sometimes about with denis liddy….

Ah yes, happy memories Dr Dow.

I attended John MacMahon’s Concertina class in Miltown that Summer & an excellent teacher he is too.

Just when I thought I was getting to know lots of Irish tunes, those guys came out with that wonderful CD, full of all those new tunes to me.

Cheers
Dick

@ Skull.. Even though they took the name Fisherstreet after the road in Doolin they were actually mainly a mixture of Ennis and Dublin friends.

MacCruiskeen - I have seen CD copies of the "Fisherstreet" recording on sale at the Willie Clancy week shop, and also once on eBay. I don’t know who did it, or where you might find one, or even whether or not it’s a legal - ie not bootleg - release, but it definitely does exist in CD format. I still have it in cassette form - really should have bought the CD in Miltown. A classic recording.

Posted by .

thanks, tab. I knew you would be the man to know that.
they must know what they’re doing if they give themselves a name like that. I like how names of albums can give a lot of meaning to what the music is going to be like. Sometimes, anywa.

Kenny,

I very carefully wrote ‘re-released’ in my posting above.

The original album was released by Mulligan in CD format. It has not been reissued by Compass Records, the current owners of the Mulligan back catalogue, as a CD.

The Mulligan story is a troubled one. It’s more than likely that the copies of the album you saw in Miltown Malbay were issued by Dave Bulmer’s Celtic Music label which acquired the rights to the Mulligan catalogue (supposedly for the UK only) in the late 1970s. I know that Bulmer has been distributing some of these albums to Irish outlets for some considerable time.

Compass Records initiated a legal action against Bulmer some time ago, but I’ve never been able to find the outcome.

Thanks for that correction, MacC. Bit confused though - you say "Bulmer etc…..in the late 1970s". "Fisherstreet" cassette was released in 1991. Should that have read "late 1990s" instead of "1970s" ?

Posted by .

Nope, Kenny, the dodgy deal was done in the late 1970s. That was when Celtic Music acquired the rights to the Mulligan label (and it was also the deal that guaranteed that none of The Bothy Band would ever see a penny of royalties from UK sales of their albums).

Mulligan continued issuing CDs in Ireland up until around 1993, but the UK sales of these were handled by Celtic Music.

So, any Mulligan CDs you’ve seen in Ireland over the last few years are either official reissues (courtesy of Compass Records) or questionably legitimate (Celtic Music releases).

Bulmer…. criminal.

Thanks MacCruiskeen. Of course what I meant is that he was treated criminally after his amazing kindness and generousity to musicians.

Thanks for that clarification, MacC. As always, I bow to your superior knowledge in these matters.

Posted by .

Frank Cullen ( Mandolin) launched his own album And All Points West at Ennis Fest a couple of years ago, great playlng of his own compositions with a little help from Noreen O’Donoghue and others such as Maire Breathnach and Mick O’Brien.

Posted by .

This is a great Album of Music played with feel. It was not recorded very well but the sound was Doctored and Tailored by none other than Vinnie Kilduff who was called on to save the recording and re-mix. I know he spent a week or so at the job.