Name of Particular An Dro

Name of Particular An Dro

Hello all,

Hoping someone might be able to identify the name of this particular An Dro - hope I have the link correctly. It’s one of a few for this particular An Dro. I’m hoping to find the sheet music for it (or abc). I’ve worked out quite a it myself, but I’d like to see if I have it correctly (and the name would be nice as well).

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGQRqu_c-c

Posted by .

Re: Name of Particular An Dro

Easy,
ich bitte um Entschuldigung aber Andro ist nicht der name dieses Lied, Andro ist ein Tanz in der Bretagne und das heisst “die Tour”. Um das zu tanzen muss man den kleineren Finger des Nachbarn anfassen. In der bretonnischen Musik nennt man sehr oft die Lieder mit dem Tanzname, wenne man den Name des Lieds vergessenoder verloren hat….

There’s a link to sheet music in the comments section. Replace punkt with dot and it should work. Can’t guarantee there will be more of a title than An Dro, however. (my phone won’t copy the text and the link is too complicated to remember, or I could tell you. ). Good luck finding the title – drat those pesky nameless Breton tunes!

Thanks - yes, ich kann deutsch - but I already knew the “An Dro” is simply the name of a particular dance.

I must have missed the link t the sheet music in the comments!

Thanks!

Posted by .

I am by no means an authority on Breton music but, in all the Breton tune collections I have seen, I don’t remember seeing a tune with a specific name - only the names of the dances associated with them (an dro, hanter dro, gavotte, laridé etc.) . Do Breton tunes have names?

A remember this tune well, but never had a name to it.
But thank-you for this link I can re-learn it now !
jim,,,

PS -

Iput this on my Facebook page with your link. hope thats ok ?

Dose any of my Generation remember the name of this old Breton tune popular around the seventies -
jim,,,

I’ve seen some an dros with names, but usually not. Here are the dots for the one on the video:
http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/mirror/dinglehall.freeserve.co.uk/kyoy/abc/set55/0000
I couldn’t find it among all the other anonymous an dros on John Chambers’ site, but it should be, as the linked site got it from there (or possibly the other way around). I’m pretty sure that the harp arrangement in the video (or one very similar) has been published, since I’ve heard it before, but I don’t use other people’s arrangements so I don’t know whose arrangement it is.

@Kavik

I think that your tune *might* be an arrangement of “En dro de Kerfank”.

The ABCs of the above tune are posted below.

If not, send me an email via session.org (I have musician friends in Brittany who may be able to assist).

X: 1
T: En dro de Kerfank
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K:AMin
|:A2 e2 e2 de|f2 e2 dc Bc|d2 B2 e2 dc|Bc AB c2 B2|
A2 e2 e2 de|f2 e2 dc Bc|d2 B2 e2 dc|BA Bc A4:|
|:A2 A2 B2 cB|A2 A2 B2 Bc|d2 B2 e2 dc|Bc AB c2 B2|
A2 A2 B2 cB|A2 A2 B2 Bc|d2 B2 e2 dc|BA Bc A4:|

Names: An Dro / Hanter Dro

There can be lyrics to accompany the dance air and sometimes the melody can be associated by name with those lyrics.

Names: An Dro / Hanter Dro

Or with a place or source ~ 😉

I know what “An” means in Irish, but I’m struggling with “dro” ?

@ TomB-R

“An dro” = “The Turn”

Thanks all!

I think they are commonly named from the town or village they originate from and yes, the name means “the turn” - I believe it refers to the dance steps (?).

Posted by .

“I know what “An” means in Irish, but I’m struggling with “dro” ?”
Posted on February 16th 2011 by TomB-R

@ TomB-R

“An dro” = “The Turn”

Posted on February 16th 2011 by Mix O’Lydian

I think, Mix, TomB-R is trying to subtly point out that he doesnt think we should be discussing breton music on an “irish” music website. I could be wrong, but thats how i read the comment.

Andro sets are commonly played where I live (in the western Italian Alps), as it’s is a French region of Italy and is…well, Frenchy.

All of the Andros I play have names. Don’t know this particular one, though… sorry! It’s nice anyhow, I“ll have to learn it.

Apparently, this one is from the Vannes area.

Posted by .

Part joke, part very gentle dig, thorsdog. 🙂

Don’t waste your time with looking for names for breton tunes, Kavik is right. The only things you could find are : where it comes from, who played it and recorded it, and when.
And Ceolachan is also right about names when there are lyrics.
In breton spoken area, this dance is called “An Dro”, and in Gallo spoken area (east of brittany) the same dance is called “Tour”, french word for “turn”.

Got this back on Facebook –

“the tune is called An Dro, it translates as “the turn” its an old breton famous dance tune,used 2 back a breton piper who played it on the ninth pint or so!!”

jim,,,

@thorsdog

“I think, Mix, TomB-R is trying to subtly point out that he doesnt think we should be discussing breton music on an “irish” music website. I could be wrong, but thats how i read the comment”

@Tom-BR

“Part joke, part very gentle dig, thorsdog”

Well, if that’s the case, we’d better never talk about fiddles, as the violin was an Italian invention ….

(A gentle dig from an internationalist) …. 😉

nice tune - I heard it on bombard/piston somewhere, can’t remember!!

After additional research, it appears as if this particular An Dro is called “Mestr ti” - “Master of the House”, though it’s probably known more by the French “Mâitre de la maison.”

Posted by .

‘Tour’ is a different dance, predecessor to an dro. Danced to the same rhythm.