B minor Jigs

B minor Jigs

I’ve a friend looking for Bm jigs. Now, if we can avoid the whole issue of B dorian and B minor for the moment and accept either have you any favorites you can share with her? I must admit I came up with only a couple really dull ones…

Thanks.

Re: B minor Jigs

Kevin Burke’s “Up in the Air”

Posted .

Thanks Will. Still early there isn’t it?!

Banks of Lough Gowna.

oops, I am sorry. You said jigs, not reels.

Early? Yes, like 1957.

Joe Derrane’s is a great jig, in Bm.

Posted .

1957…that explains a great deal about Montana politics 🙂

I should have thought of Joe Derraine’s even though I don’t play it.

Use the search function of this site. Don’t type a name, just select ‘jigs’ and ‘B minor’ and there you are.

The Soup Dragon.

Morgan Rattler and The Cordal Jig.

(These are really variations of the same tune.)

One I like to play in that key of B minor is this one - jim,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neSuSKKxl1w

X:22
T:ARONS QUEY
C:MAURICE LENNON ?
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:Bm
|FBB Bcd |cAA ABc |dBB Bcd |edc dcB |FBB Bcd|cAA ABc|dcd ede|fBB B2z:|
|^cdA Ade|^feA Aa2|g^fg^fB^c|d^cB ^cAB|cBA B^cB|cdc de2|zfe dAB|^cdB BB2:|

Any tune in a minor key???

I’ll second Aaron’s Key. Just learned it off youtube from our very own Fiddle4,,, Jim,,,,

Muireann’s jig by Niall Vallely

Posted .

Me too. Thanks Jim. Your ABC version above had me a bit baffled till I moved the second part left one note, putting the ^c where the z is. I hope that’s right.

Posted by .

gam -
Yeah sorry I done it myself - lol…
At first I thought this tune was about a Quay on the Aaron Islands, but the I was told its about - Aaron Quay, Dublin, on the North Side of the River (Liffey)
So I now a now sure which way its spelled.. I Reckon you guys got it right !
jim,,,

jim,,,

Isn’t Muireann’s Jig more Em-ish? I’ve always thought so.

If you enjoy pain and suffering, try Last Tango in Harris. It’s actually fine until the last part. Then it’s not fine, unless you play the Highland pipes. I’m sure it’s perfectly reasonable on them.

https://thesession.org/tunes/6124

I have a question: of all those B minor jigs that come up when you do a search, how many are old traditional Irish tunes? That is, not modern composed tunes, or Scottish or Cape Breton etc tunes?

In traditional Scottish Highland piping 100% of the true minor jigs are in B minor, because that’s the only place on the bagpipe you get a full minor scale. (Yes you can get a Dorian scale on E. Yes nowadays pipers are using alternate fingerings and playing tunes in A minor and D minor, but I’m talking about traditional Highland piping.)