A whinge on whinging

A whinge on whinging

I feel as if I can say this here, and maybe someone will agree with me, maybe I will get a lecture from someone too.

But I’ve had enough of these ten commandments, and whinging on about noodlers, and jumping on someone’s case because they said "song" instead of "tune" etc.

I think all these corrections are ok to make sometimes, but it really gets old. 90% of us already know the stupid ettiquette, and really, what’s more annoying to me is hearing what I consider marginal musicians prattle on, about this crap.

To me it’s like hey, I don’t care if someone is new, because they are really interested and are having fun, and so am I, I don’t give a fast f*&K if they make few mistakes, infact I find them much less a kill joy, than some bloated self important half-talent going on about ettiquette.

This doesn’t mean it’s not ok to clue in the clueless, I just would like to encourage perhaps some more creative, and polite, and possibly fun inducing, rather than killing.

Ha…. got that off my chest.

Re: A whinge on whinging

Amen. And I would suggest that relentless ridicule of people new to the site is not in anyone’s interest. The regulars are fair game, since they’ve proven that they can take it, but getting all high-and-mighty to someone who asks an innocent question is really in poor taste.

Maybe it’s just cabin fever.

Yup - its supposed to be fun. But we need the ettiqutte so that it can remain fun for all of us and is not made the preserve of a selfish few.

At the end of the day, ettiquette is no more than good manners. So it should’nt be too difficult or too much to ask. Its just about respecting others.

And yes, we get heavily involved in long, protracted and sometimes heated discussions on here. But there is also a lot of good humour and banter as well. The simple answer as to why we get heated sometimes is because we care - but thats a strong point, not a weakness.

I’ve met some musicians in my time that, should they be any further up themselves, would find that they were inside out. But they only make up a tiny and usually isolated minority.

I don’t think I’ve met anyone on here I would’nt like to have a few tunes and a pint with. In fact thats what gets to me more than anything. I "talk" to you lot on a regular basis and will probably never get to meet any of you. There is a certain sadness in that don’t you think ?

Your post is fraught with derogatory comments that as are insulting as they are inaccurate. The fact that your opinion is not that of someone else does not make that person a bloated self important half-talent going on about ‘ettiquette’. Etiquette is not stupid, it is very important, as is the use of the right word. If you say you play the guitar, I would not expect the guitar to be a banjo, just as I would not expect a song to be a tune.
Who are these ‘clueless’? Do you mean morons, idiots, fools, perhaps? The very novices whom you purport to defend? Or those whose opinions differ from your own? If you really would ‘just would like to encourage perhaps some more creative, and polite, and possibly fun inducing,’ perhaps you yourself might be a little more creative, and polite, and possibly fun-inducing.

Like me.

Posted by .

You forgot "modest" gam

< There is a certain sadness in that don’t you think ? > — Yep !

Why don’t we all get SKYPE an go there at Certain time’s.. etc,

And when we work out and know the set times - say,,

A, USA one / Europe one / and Aussie one / -

If you cant sleep then you can always go on one of those others above and slag them off - lol..

jim,,,

One day……………Virtual sessions - with music rooms instead of chat rooms - thats the way forward.

Btw -

I meant to ask is the a ” thesession.org ” Group page on

Facebook ????

jim,,,

Would this be a metawhinge?

I wish the guy who showed up at our session last night and proceeded to blow totally random notes on a Boehm flute while we were playing tunes had signed onto The Mustard Board and written, "I want to play along on the songs at a session. Wouldn’t it be great if I accompanied things on my flute. I love Celtic music." And then he undoubtedly would have suffered the mother of all slaggings and then MAYBE NOT shown up at my session and been an annoying tw*t.

So if people’s hang-ups on session etiquette keep even one person from coming to a session and doing that, then job well done.

Cheer up TSS,

If I ever meet you, I’ll buy you a pint of heavy !

Sorry to hear about the flailing fluter, Emily. And I’m not downplaying the good advice often given on this forum. However, having said that, for my session & myself the Mustard Board is no substitute for direct communication. Whenever we have an issue with someone’s playing they need to hear it in person.
YMMV

Posted by .

Jim, look for The Session Dot Org Appreciation Society. Right now it has lots of posts that offer to introduce you to portly ladies.

TSS, those annoying tw*ts will never be discouraged from turning up and destroying your session. There is a hatchery out there somewhere, and just when you swat a few down, more appear on the horizon. It is natural selection: things that are loud, aggressive and oblivious to non-fatal hazards just plunge blithely on, replicating and plundering.

Michele,

Jim is not in need of portly ladies, he helps 22 year old Danish girls on the internet don’t cha know !

OK Jim, so I’m still jealous !!

Gam,

I do not apologize for the hypocracy of my post, as did not intend to vail my wind up, but I do apolgize for the poor craftsmanship that offended you, I do.

To be sure rules make a game more fun. Tennis is much more fun than "hit ball", just as a session with no social controls is a drag. I think I’ve read thoughtful posts from you, in the past that were certainly not cut and paste arguments, which would lend me to not clump yours in with the type of speech about which I am complaining.

Anycase, I am just mentioning there is an annoyance factor that really is a kill joy, when people use cliche’ fall back, cut and paste complaints.

You’re right about the first bit of your title: it really is a whinge, right enough, but not about whingers - at least not all of them are whingers. Some of the regular people don’t really enjoy seeing inappropriate terms like "song" used so sometimes they correct the nubes. Nor, like TSS, do they enjoy a numptie noodling in their ear…or a too loud set of spoons or guitar drowning them out or speeding up their pace.That kind of thing is bad etiquette, spoils good sessions and should be aired here. Continuously, so that nubes might pick up on it and not do these things. It’s not a whinge. You’re the whinger.

A whinge about whingers whinging on about whingers who wihnge…

This a whinge by me who is a whinger for now, during this whinging posting anyway (not necc a ginger whinger though) whinging about whingers whinging on about whingers who whinge on this forum.
By answer would be use less wig glue and look out at night because, like that ginger binger minger ninja & whinger Krick Stahlschwanz, Larry Adler may come and whinge to you every night in Klingon.

This thread needs to be Jeremied - it’s a waste of space

Each of you has your unique way with the whinge. One of my all time favourites’ is currently incarcerated. To paraphrase one of his brilliant sayings ~ if this is a valuable resource to you you’re terribly under resourced.

Posted by .

Yeahbut Yhaal, like your beard, have you got a ginger minge? Would you get it swingingly singed if you went on a binge, and would you whinge about that, because that would make me cringe.

He’s no whinger, Ben. And this:

" I wish the guy who showed up at our session last night and proceeded to blow totally random notes on a Boehm flute while we were playing tunes had signed onto The Mustard Board and written, "I want to play along on the songs at a session. Wouldn’t it be great if I accompanied things on my flute. I love Celtic music." And then he undoubtedly would have suffered the mother of all slaggings and then MAYBE NOT shown up at my session and been an annoying tw*t.

So if people’s hang-ups on session etiquette keep even one person from coming to a session and doing that, then job well done."

…is spot on. Actually, SS (I like calling you that cos I’m SS too innit πŸ˜€)) I think I know that bloke … Maybe we all know "that bloke."

Yeah, he sat next to me on the bus the other day. When he very loudly started explaining to me that he was God all I could think was "why me?"

If people know all about Irish music, they don’t have to log into a web site to ask questions about it. So of course there will be ignorant questions asked on this website, by folks who don’t understand The Music. Of course this parade of interested newcomers ask the same questions over and over, they are all at the same stage of development (or lack of it). We have a choice—we can answer their questions, give them good advice and point them in the right direction, or we can mock them. Far too often, I see the latter, and it is a sorry thing to behold.
I think SandyBottoms makes some good points, but many people just seem to want to prove SB’s points by whinging about how the person whinges about whinging. Sad, sad, sad…

So, Al, give us a tutorial on how we can identify the windup merchants among the genuine newbies.

Would it hurt to err on the side of helpfulness? Is there such a finite amount of useful advice that we have to dole it out like the gruel in Oliver Twist?

Yes.

<sigh>

My bad, Steve. Michael Gill is not a whinger. You are not a whinger. Most of the regulars rarely if ever whinge. It’s that under resourced lot, they are whinging.

Posted by .

I’m inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt, at least until someone’s had a chance to talk to them, in case they just don’t know any better. If I had a pound for every time I’ve made an effing idiot of myself in my life… let’s just say I would appreciate it if people gave me the same courtesy.

It’s important to fail on ocassion & make a fool of yourself. You really never learn how to be around people without a few prat falls.

Posted by .

I’ve learnt plenty from the discussions, not so much from being slagged off. Imho that’s just the fluff. The good stuff comes from those of you who want to share their love of the tunes. Rant away, just don’t try to convince me you’re not.

Cheers!

Posted by .

Al, this is me sideling out on to your tree branch to sit with you; maybe our combined weight will cause it to snap and give way. That’d be a hoot. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your sentiments do you credit. Is this a long way up here or what? Well I’ll be; I can see the lights at the drive-in! You know, it’s really cold up here….

I think this site is mild by comparison to the school of hard knocks that is the real world of sessions. Try noodling in the ear of certain fiddle players/pipers/box players in North London in the nineteen-eighties and that’s what you’d have received for your trouble. Several hard knocks. After working on building sites or on the roads for 50-60 hours of the week, those lads would not tolerate their valuable leisure time being compromised by eegits. Not that I, as a relative learner, was ever foolish enough to behave in such a crass fashion.
As for calling the meta-whinger a whinger, it’s not sad. I think it’s funny to whinge about whinging….or is this me whinging about whinging aboiut whinging….?

Further to the IPs opening comment:

" …and jumping on someone’s case because they said "song" instead of "tune"

It’s a complete mystery to me why anyone would refer to a melody (a tune with no lyrics) as a "song",

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/song

The folks that call tunes "songs" seem to be:

(a) Newcomers to the site, and
(b) American.

Q. Is it an American thing?

… And what about the greengrocer’s apostrophe, as in:

"Can anyone recommend song’s suitable for beginners?"

Q. Where does that come from?

Michele Sims -
Thanks I bookmarked that page,,, Not for the profiles for Naughty women you understand - lol…

ormepipes -
The Danish Girl is just a pet of a wee thing - and I am just a Dinosaur - lol…

SandyBottoms -
But back to the subject ,,, Even Tennis has some Rules !
jim,,,

Al is right.

I was being cranky and a bit wise-arse last night. Seriously, Al and whoever, what inspires me and undoubtedly others to answer beginners in a surly manner is not that they are beginners and clueless or whatever; it’s the sheer LAZINESS exemplified by a lot of the beginners who post questions on this site, who clearly, from the nature of their questions, can’t be bothered to do ANY research or work themselves and hope that by posting on the discussion boards, the answer will be handed to them on a silver platter with hollendaise sauce. It’s easier than ever to do some of your own research. If you’re on the internet, posting on the Mustard Board, you have access to the wonders of YouTube, Google, and Wikipedia. Use it, for f*ck’s sake.

P.S. Plenty of regulars here are helpful towards newbies. But you don’t remember the threads where someone asked a question, someone answered it, and life moved on. You remember the ones where people got surly and the thread turned into a big row. Memory is just kind of like that. With anything.

I feel as if I can say this here,
(WRITE this here)

and maybe someone will agree with me, maybe I will get a lecture from someone too.
(OR maybe I will get)

But I’ve had enough of these ten commandments, and whinging on about noodlers, and jumping on someone’s case because they said "song" instead of "tune" etc.
(and THE whinging)
(and THE jumping on)
(WROTE song, not SAID song)

I think all these corrections are ok to make sometimes, but it really gets old. 90% of us already know the stupid ettiquette, and really, what’s more annoying to me is hearing what I consider marginal musicians prattle on, about this crap.
(Actually, more like 95%)
(READING, not HEARING)
(CONSIDER TO BE, not CONSIDER)
(MARGINAL? please clarify usage)

To me it’s like hey, I don’t care if someone is new, because they are really interested and are having fun, and so am I, I don’t give a fast f*&K if they make few mistakes, infact I find them much less a kill joy, than some bloated self important half-talent going on about ettiquette.
(because IF they are really interested)
(various typos, gramatically weak)
(BLOATEDLY self important, or
bloated AND self important)

This doesn’t mean it’s not ok to clue in the clueless, I just would like to encourage perhaps some more creative, and polite, and possibly fun inducing, rather than killing.
(incomplete sentance)
(ecoruage COMMA perhaps COMMA)

(probably HAH, not HA would be better)

Not to be picky, Sandy
πŸ˜‰

Cheers.

Posted by .

There was probably a time you were not au fait with the terminology used here and didn’t know as much as you know now because you obviously Know loads nowπŸ™‚ ! They are innocent questions posed by newcomers to the music and deserve civility. If you dont feel like being civil maybe it is best to ignore and move on and reserve your wrath for the gobsh*tes who are not new and unfailingly annoy.

Cross post with Pieces mighty rant!!

Fully with Silver Spear. If they can’t be arsed to do their own work, let them stew.

I once had an e-mail from an American woman who planned coming to the Willie week. She wanted me to outline the weather so she could bring the proper clothing.

I should have told her to contact Met Eirreann or use her common sense. But I didn’t. That sort of utter laziness really gets on my tits though.

Posted .

"If you dont feel like being civil maybe it is best to ignore and move on and reserve your wrath for the gobsh*tes who are not new and unfailingly annoy. "

You know yourself that I can and do. πŸ™‚

Prof -
I hope you said ’ A Frogman Suite ” { Wet Suite ) for the intellectuals …. lol

jim,,,

I was tempted to say it never rained and was 26 Celsius all summer. I really should have.

Posted .

Aye, you should have. πŸ™‚ Live and learn.

No, you should have said it rains all the time, even in the pubs, so don’t bother getting your instrument out or it will get ruined….or am I just evil……

There are palm trees around there so you should have sent her a picture of one and talked about the Fiji-like climate.

I can remember Milltown Malbay with many rainy days, and night’s, and when you even touched the roof of the tent’s in those days, you where hit with a Tsunami — lol..
jim,,,

Where I live, the weather reports from the scientists, and the weather written about by the local chamber of progaganda (er commerce/tourism), can be notoriously inaccurate, and we locals will even call around if we’re going 30-50 miles to see what it’s really like. We consider the tourists who are actually smart enough to call and talk to a local to be wiser than the rest.

What on earth is so wrong about simply being polite? Al and Big_Tab, thank you.

As my dad used to say, "If a dog bites you, you don’t bite him back." In other words, be bigger than a dog.

"What on earth is so wrong about simply being polite? "

It only encourages them, you know.

Where I live, everybody whinges about people whinging about the weather. Politeness is considered a sign of weakness. You wouldn’t dare bite a dog back because they are all rottweilers owned by Cockney skinhead geezers, so if the dog didn’t kill you the owners surely would. At least then you wouldn’t have to listen to whingers any more if you were dead.

I think that’s the interesting thing. These total strangers e-mail you for information, you reply to them, as yo uwould.

Two things happen : they ask for more or you never hear back from them again. A ‘thank you for the information’ is, nine out of ten, not on the cards. In my experience of course.

Politeness only stretches so far.

And I am not the fecking Miltown Malbay tourist office.

It’s laziness and using.

People you actually know, that’s a different thing altogether.

Posted .

And people not whinging about the weather, they probably don’t get our weather.

Mind you we’ve been getting actual summers and winters in recent years so you won’t hear me going on about it. The year it started raining in August and kept going until May, however…

Posted .

Ok . I am intrigued. How or why would a total stranger pick your e mail adress out of thin air? Could they be people that know you but you might not know them? Could they ,perhaps ,love your music and that is how they discovered you? Maybe they Love you to bits Prof and this is your way of keeping this love at arms length?

Some cases google the location and e-mail everybody they find. Total strangers.

Doesn’t happen much anymore, seven or eight years ago I got a whole rake of them. I keep my e-mail off the net since.

‘I live in West Virgina and am doing a school project. Can you tell me how many people live in Miltown Malbay?’ That sort of stuff. Pointed that one to CSO.ie

Posted .

I don’t mind an occasional whinge
Unless it devolves to a binge
with newbies then slagged
through the mud they are dragged
with a snobbery that makes us all cringe

Ok…There goes my diagnosis out the window..gone.πŸ™‚

Good Thread this, I’ve never heard so much whinging ..
When’s Lig back — lol…

jim,,,

Ha Ha Ha !

jim,,,

: )

Don’t stop him now Rudall: there are no mistakes in that last post. Another miracle πŸ™‚
(nearly)

Posted by .

— otherwise you’d be whinging about spelling, gam?

2 rite

Posted by .

How to not eat the n00bs and still avoid feeding the trolls at the same time? A question as old as the innerwebs itself…

Ah feck boLlix moan and whinge.

I hate when u go into ur session and the noodlers are already sat at the table. Instruments out, ready to noodle. A feckin hour before it starts. Ah well.

Okay, so over on this side of the pond, it’s "whine" — rhymes with "wine" (so we can ask unsympathetically, "Would you like a little cheese with that whine?"). What does "whinge" rhyme with?

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Feck. I should read posts before posting. Bollox. Reading comprehension fail. Maybe it’s time to leave the office before I do anything else daft.

TheSilverSpear, I knew you were being wise-arse last night. When I typed <sigh>, I was chuckling to myself. No worries…

@Tracie: "What does "whinge" rhyme with?"

Who’s gonna say it and risk getting into trouble πŸ™‚

Well, I wasn’t chuckling. I was so ticked off, I had to go outside and throw rocks at passing cars. "Chuckling to himself," he says…

Who’s gonna say it and risk getting into trouble - minge?

"Whinge"

Thot it rimed wit "binge".

Noo?

Posted by .

Now Atahualpa, let’s not resort to violence. πŸ˜‰

Couldn’t agree more Sandy Bottoms. This site has become a negative energy suck IMO. Most other groups I’m on have an overall feel of helpfulness. A newbie comes on and asks a question and gets all kinds of helpful responses. Not here. Every no-name in the world here gets their chance at practicing to be a self-inflated tune snob, and struts it proudly. Not to say everyone on this site is like that, but that’s the overall feel I get these days. I mostly lurk once a week because of it, but couldn’t pass this opportunity to add my $0.2. It would be nice if the players here kept in mind the feelings of the people they’re attacking/bashing/lecturing/whinging/whatever else while doing it. It would make this a pleasant site again.

Posted by .

"Every no-name …." Yaay.. Keep posting MR.

Would you be a ‘big name’, big_tab?