Week in East Durham - How young is too young?

Week in East Durham - How young is too young?

I’m wondering at what age it’s okay for an older child to take classes at CIAW. I don’t mean for the children’s program, but for the regular music classes.
I scanned a couple of the videos from 2009, & I saw young adults, but not older children. Looking at the levels, the 2 youngsters I have in mind are beyond "basic" level — I’d say they’re comfortably in the "intermediate" level. They’ve had lessons more than 4 years, they play at various sessions (often the only children there), they know at least 50 tunes….
So, it’s not so much them being able to handle the classes I’m wondering about, it’s everything else!

Re: Week in East Durham - How young is too young?

1. What is CIAW? (I hate stupid abbreviations!)
2. ‘an older child’- what does that actually mean- e.g. use a number in reference to years since birth.
3. ‘young adults, but not older children’- eh!?
4. Remember children should be seen and not heard. They are generally a horrible plague in most situations- leave them at home!
4. I’d say , in answer to your query, 30 years old is about right.

CIAW I imagine a fantastic festival held in the Catskills every year and is an amazing experience where musicians get to hear and hang out with the musicians that they would most love to play and hang out with.

I assumed this was simply the eastern part of the town just off the A1 north of Darlington.
Sorry to be so London-centric…but, when one is born, brought up and living in the centre of the known cultural universe, all else is just so provincial!

Try get out some time.

‘Try get out some time’
Eh?!
Do you mean’ try and get out some time’?

No.

some

It might work better if you write what you mean and I’ll do my very best to write what I mean.

The one time I went, i took beginner accordion classes with kids that were 10 or 12. They were nice kids, and already better than me. A lot depends on the maturity of the kid, and how seriously they take their music.

Any child that is interested in the music is generally considered equal to their elders in workshops and gigs at these kind of festivals.

Children are dreadful and best kept away.

Traditional Irish Music does not recognise age.

big_tab: maybe - same for any other music or creative artistic or scientific endeavor- but kids (when they are not doing the primary subject here) are a pain in the arse and I don’t want to have to be in the proximity of the nasty little buggers!

A re-write of my previous post leaving out the unnecc and misleading bit in brackets

big_tab: maybe - same for any other music or creative artistic or scientific endeavor- but kids are a pain in the arse and I don’t want to have to be in the proximity of the nasty little buggers!

Catskills Irish Arts Week, East Durham, NY, USA. :o)

These two will be 12-ish, so that seems okay then?
(Take their music quite seriously, they do, but you know, they’re not quite 30 yet.)

No bother.. sure you can stay in London with your adult friends. Me I want to hang with musicians..of all ages.

There are many children younger than 12 there, some of them very good musicians. A good percentage of the instructors are from Ireland, where taking up the music as an adult isn’t as readily accepted as it is in the U.S., and classes are separated by ability and not by age.

They’ll be fine.

Don’t let them out of your sight. The minute your back is turned they will be taking drugs and having sex, or being kidnapped by aliens. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted by .

I agree, they’ll be fine. What instruments do they play?

Yes you do see children of that age there, taking classes and participating in the sessions, of which there are tame ones as well as wilder ones. I’d be more than happy to take my kids there, and they are younger than yours.

I’ve had mixed experiences taking classes at the Catskills with kids in the class. It all depends on the kid. They are usually better than the adults musically, but behavior can be an issue. The most common and annoying problem (often among adults, as well) is playing while the instructor is trying to talk. It’s a hard urge to control, and worse when there’s a half dozen talented, hyperactive, forgetful kids getting bored waiting for the big, slow, dim-witted adults to get their questions answered. Kids who are calm, patient, and good listeners are always welcome.

In my limited experience in such situations:
A very gentle time-honored technique (SHHHH!) seems to work on most kids worthy of the title "kids" (as opposed to "brats", "imps", "curtain-climbers" "rug rats", "ill-mannered little bastids", etc).

It seems to me that the kids I see hanging around any traditional acoustic music scene are a little lesss likely to go postal in public than the ones into Death Metal.

FWIW.

Posted by .

"Planning is well underway for another sensational week in the historic Irish American hamlet of East Durham for the 16th Annual Catskills Irish Arts Week hosted by the M. J. Quill Irish Cultural and Sports Centre. We have assembled another terrific faculty of teachers and entertainers who will continue to make the CIAW the place to be for serious fans of Irish traditional music and dance. You’ll see many familiar names on the faculty page and some first-time visitors to the Catskills as well as the legend continues to grow."

I’ve had exactly the same experience as Gary regarding younger kids in beginner classes at CIAW. As an adult taking a beginner whistle class a couple of years back I noticed that the instructor was needing to spend almost as much time reining in the "exuberance" of the five sub-12 year olds as he did teaching the class. He also didn’t get to discuss a fraction of the theory that he seemed to have planned. After the class was over I felt that it was still worth attending, but could have been much better.

On the other hand, last year I attended a beginner flute class at CIAW that had a single 11 year old who was attentive, well behaved, and just as welcome in the class as any other attendee.

Bottom line is, you know your kids. These are group lessons, not daycare. If your kid is genuinely interested and can sit still and listen respectfully to an instructor who is there to teach, not entertain, I’m sure they would be welcome. If not, CIAW has a wonderful children’s program that will keep the kids occupied, involved and they will even learn something about the music and culture.

To yhaalhouse: A week in East Durham…

…with no egress allowed from the area, would have you stripping down to your underwear in a November blizzard and plunging into the North Sea in a do-or-die bid to make it to Germany.

I refer to the part of County Durham East of the A1M motorway. I practically never go there, having no reason to. The sea offshore is the coldest bit of sea round Britain, so if you tried to escape by swimming you probably wouldn’t get far. They’ve cleaned up the former coal pollution on the beaches pretty well, but the freezing bleak dismal climate there still makes the place quite rebarbative to human well-being. The invading Danes shuddered and by-passed it, preferring to live in Yorkshire.

There is no part of Durham City named ‘East Durham’, though the Sherburn Road Estate, otherwise known as ‘Dodge City’, could be held to be the spiritual gateway to the county’s Eastern realms.

Famous people associated with East Durham and adjacent Hartlepool include Tony Blair, Peter Mandelson, Lord Byron who married a local coal heiress who soon threw him out, and Stuart Drummond, the Mayor of Hartlepool who also wears (or wore) a monkey suit as the football team mascot. Hartlepool, as everyone knows, is where they hung the monkey. There are also some saints and stuff.

Did they also spank the chicken in this town?

Nothing is beyond them.

Nicholas, An English friend of mine got into a row late at night and was severely berated by his vocal Irish opponent who finished the joust by calling my friend a "monkey hanger". Neither of us had ever heard the term before. Can you enlighten usas you seem to have this knowledge?

Thanks Jack.. Appreciate the effort. Some lunatic in Ennis obviously new this story.

Knew

They have indeed cleaned up the beaches. The sand used to be black, as did everything else in the area, and people often had to take in their washing and re-do it if the wind changed.
It is said that the coal mines were so far out under the north sea that the miners ended up eating fortnight-old bacon sandwiches, and at one point fourteen German shoppers appeared when a coalface collapsed. This last bit might be an exaggeration, though. It was probably only one or two.

Posted by .

So glad I asked the question in the first place, as this post has taken on a life of its own, what with monkeys & bacon sandwiches & all. Who cares what the real answer is (though I did find it buried in there, thank you) I just keep checking back for the grand amusement value!

I don’t think German shoppers would have been coming to shop in Easington, somehow.

They were more likely to have been Scandinavians, tunnelling through to get cheap drink.

Nothing is beyond them, either. They’re desperate for drink. Newcastle is the drinking capital of Norway.

Nicholas, I hate to explain a joke, but the shoppers were still in Germany. It was a German shop.
We were mining their coal, come to think of it; but don’t tell them. I heard that the ghosts of the shoppers have reportedly been seen manifesting themselves behind the crystallized fruits.

Posted by .

Feado - Just as some have said here. It depends. Of course all the "name" teachers are flooded with adults wanting to take the class even if it is beyond them. And there are the rude adults that think an Intermediate to Advanced class should be run like a Beginner class. Some of the teachers feel that the classes do run below the intended level because there is so much self-policing in terms of musical ability.
Yes - everyone is paying for the class but some people feel it is one-on-one with some people looking over their shoulder. It really is up to the teacher.
The classes run approximately 90 minutes with a 90 minute break for lunch. If you go - carpool with someone because the classes range over several miles. (And gas is going up.)
And yes, there are a lot of kids and they do have fun.

The seams being mined out under the sea off the East Durham coast were very deep, and were also following a downward slope.

Followed through to Germany, they’d have found the German shoppers sweltering in unsustainable heat., unless kinks in the geology occur between here and there.

They used to strip down to their keks, it was so hot.

Posted by .

Maybe Lidl or Aldi put a store three or four thousand feet underground because the ground rents were cheaper down there.

It’s time some enterprising people built inverted skyscrapers - groundscrapers - with this advantage in mind.

They’d need a lot of air-conditioning, though…

Re: East Durham, UK, welcomes tourists, OK!

A piquant piece of news or rumour in County Durham (England) has it that tourist information offices are to be closed in Durham City, Weardale and Barnard Castle, but one will stay open in Peterlee, East (County) Durham.

A local claims no-one ever goes into it. The Durham Riviera is not a tourist magnet. I have touched upon its charms in a previous post.

In USA terms, it’s as if tourist information ceased to exist in Colorado, California and the Rockies, and was concentrated in New Jersey. At least, this is going by the stereotypes I’m aware of…

The reason behind our Labour-dominated council’s thinking is likely to be that Peterlee is Labour heartland, while the three places that actually get visitors are rife with pesky ingrates who vote for Lib Dems, Independents and Conservatives respectively. So they get the rug pulled, natch…

No connection with trad but I couldn’t resist lobbing this one in.