Code Orange

Re: Code Orange

Actually, considering that it turned out to be an electronic bagpipe chanter and closely matched the things that they are looking for during security checks, I think it was reasonable. On looking at it, they found that it was "a cylinder with a thin metal mouthpiece at one end and a battery compartment at the other with wires connecting the components." If I’d been flying on that plane, I’d have wanted them to take a look at it, wouldn’t you?

http://www.pressherald.com/news/local/040114jetport.shtml

I know someone who spent three nights in prison for talking about "Bonds" as in "Stocks & Bonds". Someone thought he said "bomb" & he was held for three days & fined $500, isn’t that something?

I was just joking around, Zina. Of course they did the right thing in looking into it further. It would be irresponsible if they didn’t.

Interesting story, baloney. Imagine how many folks have been detained for talking about those horrible Pauly Shore movies.

i’m always surprised that’s i’ve never been stopped while in transit thru airports carrying my copeland whistle. especially the C whistle, which has a bracket around the fipple opening, i imagine would look like a firearm thru an x-ray machine. oh well…

’,🙂 Ahem, WM — "considering it turned out to be an electronic bagpipe chanter"…that isn’t enough of a menace to *you*?

Brad — wow…how the heck…

Nobody’s ever stopped me carrying a fiddle. The sewing machine got a lot of giggles from the security guys, though.

I see your point, Zina. That thing could go off at any minute.

Returning late across the border from a session in Donegal, I and a few friends were stopped by British soldiers. A search of the car revealed two fiddles, a flute, two tin whistles and a bodhran — enough evidence of our probable political sympathies to arouse the suspicions of the squaddies who promptly arrested the lot of us and detained us for 6 hours at a barracks. I’ll say this for them though, after questioning us, they did let us drink our six-packs and even fetched a bottle opener. But they wouldn’t let us pass the time by playing a few tunes.

Well, yeah, LN — I mean, we all know alcohol makes a person easier to deal with, but music makes musos feisty, you know? LOL

"A search of the car revealed two fiddles, a flute, two tin whistles and a bodhran — enough evidence of our probable political sympathies to arouse the suspicions of the squaddies."

Yes. It’s a damned shame that, in the midst of all the other suffering caused by zero-sum political conflict in the North, trad music has *also* been politicized, and consigned only to one side. There was a lot of great music and dancing preserved in Orange Lodges, but too many people now forget or ignore that.

Like I said, a damned shame.

chris smith

Code Orange? Orange Lodge?

Posted by .

Chris
I agree - attended a workshop given by Gary Hastings, Minister, who taught us some wonderful Orange marches etc.. Great music and it shouldn’t be lost.

Watch out, you may get 3 days interviewing if you are heard talking about borans - they might mishear it as bombs.

Like Chris, I agree that it’s a shame for the music to be politicised. I submitted a discussion here about this subject just before Christmas after a conversation with an acquaintance from Northern Ireland who had described it as "the music of the enemy". I was quite taken aback at the time. So sad.

John

I love seeing my fiddle in the x-ray machine. I wish they could print me out a picture.

One security guys asked me "what’s in the violin case?" I said "a fiddle" he replied loudly "ONE FIDDLE COMING THROUGH!" and sent it through the machine. They still made me take my shoes off though……..

They always study my fiddles real hard through those machines, same with the crutches too - I must look like a terrorist or something. They have not allowed/confiscated beeswax polish, a set of allen keys and two cigarette lighters.

they looked very hard at my tuning fork once… "to see that it wasn’t sharpened"!

Posted by .

I was reprimanded for having my tuning fork in my mandolin case -It showed up in the X ray. Apparently, it shouldn’t have been in my hand luggage but they still let me through.

i can’t see why: it’s not any sharper than your average pen… i’ve never had a problem, other than that one time, and i’ve (post 9/11) travelled with it around europe and to the states several times no problem.

Posted by .

John, I heard that tuning forks can be machined into some sort of nuclear device. I’m not sure if thats true though 😉

Ah - a story from the chequerboard of my past.

Working as a gardener on the south west coast of scotland during one of the worse times in the Troubles. We used to get some illegal, clandestine comings and goings from the little bay below my caravan, it being a close point to cross to Ireland. Sitting in the caravan one dark night, dragged out the pipes and spent a happy hour or so playing some good old "Republican" tunes, only because they were good tunes, not out of any political motivation.

Heard a noise outside, and found that there were several dozen heavily armed police hiding in all the bushes round about, staking out the bay on suspicion of something or other.

Eventually, nothing happened, and then after a while nothing else happened, and they all vanished away like midnight smoke. But it gave me to look outside before playing for a while after that.

"You gotta be able to sing Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic with equal enthusiasm"

Dave (not my real name)