Recommended French waltzes for B/C Accordion

Recommended French waltzes for B/C Accordion

When first I bought the B/C accordion it was with an intention of playing Irish tunes, but now I find myself falling in love with French tunes too (Waltzes mostly).

It seems most of the French tunes can only be freely played on a G/C (and when I say freely I mean with no special cross-fingering and with constant bass accompaniment).

Does anyone know French tunes that can be played on a B/C?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Recommended French waltzes for B/C Accordion

I’m not a box player, but I do know quite a lot of French tunes:

A few that you might care to try:

L’Inconnu de Limoise
Les Voyageurs
Petite Fleur des Champs

Not sure about "les voyageurs", but the other two are mazurkas, not waltzes.

Many players of French music on button boxes play mostly on the pull, and cross rowed on the G/C box. Obviously, and unfortunately, B/C boxes don’t seem to be intended for the same purpose.

On the otherhand, some of the more "traditional" players emphasize the importance of both push/pull and cross-rowed playing, so there must be something out there…

Posted by .

Bourrasque - Key D/G/D
Reine de Musette - Key A/D/E/A
L’ Entrainante - Key D/A/G

Three lovely waltzes. On a B/C two row you may have to take a short cut here and there but all the keys are available.

Thank everyone, B/C tends to make the French waltzes "Hiccup" :) Free Reed - I’ll give these a go and hope for the best.

Put those hiccups to good use…

Thanks ceolachan.. St. Patrick’s day is near.. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of them soon enough.. :))

@Tirno - I known they’re mazurkas - but thesheep said "Waltzes *mostly*

Sharon Shannon has a recording of "Retour des hirondelles" which jumps into "Music for a Found Harmonium", n’est pas?

Star of Brittany - my favorite
https://thesession.org/tunes/8586

Chanson d’Automne - another favorite
this waltz has got the 6/8 argeggii in (which Retour contains, but aren’t included here (yet))
https://thesession.org/tunes/7940

Again, these ‘notey’ waltzes aren’t really suited to B/C, unless you only play the basic tune.

La Partida works brilliantly…..okay, it’s venezuelan, but it’s in the ballpark. i’ve heard josephine marsh playing it gorgeously on b/c in ennis….

having said that…..this is the stuff that has prompted my switch to cba…..