Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings Time

I just went to tune in to the West Wind on Clare FM, while thinking, "oh, for once I’ve got the right time of day."

ha ha - wrong-o! Seems the entire planet is not on the same Daylight Savings plan. : - ) (Most of the US went ahead an hour yesterday)

Re: Daylight Savings Time

Don’t get me started on the US and daylight saving. It’s time they got with the same sports plan as the rest of the world. Really I think they take individualism too far sometimes.

(apropos of nothing, that is)

spring ‘forward’, ‘fall’ back…that’s the way to remember it…
and that daylight savings fades your curtains! 😉

Does Ireland have daylight savings?

"Does Ireland have daylight savings?" sara505sings

Yes

When does it begin?

(my apologies. I’m home sick with a terrible cold and not enough energy to do anything meaningful)

I kill the cold with sodium bicard on an empty stomach. brill. banish the lurgie!

Okay - so we’ve got WW happening here. 🙂

Just to confuse everybody, myself included, shouldn’t it be spring "back", "fall" forward? (Easier to remember).

We’re not changing times tonight, are we???

It may be easier to remember, but if you do it that way you’ll be in a real mess 🙂

Part of the confusion is, last year the US began switching over a good month earlier. We used to change the clocks somewhere around Easter.

Same in the fall, I think we started turning the clocks back later in the fall.

Trevor - I think the "fall forward" part is more of a Paddy’s Day thing than a calendar thing.

you actually ‘spring’ foward if you think about, and ‘fall’ back…if you think about it. Just to confuse the issue. sorry, saraspring.

The US used to be the same as the UK until George Bush decided to change it (that really is what happened.) I can’t remember why something to do with something or other. Daylight savings time in Ireland happens two weeks from yesterday.

Posted by .

jk - you don’t go to Ireland often (if at all) do you.

I grew up learning spring forward and fall back, so that doesn’t confuse me at all.

Though I can see how it might get twisted up. Some folks go their whole lives having to ask 2x/yr - ‘what are we doing this time?’

Mites grow up and tights come down.
The Irish solar probe is going at night. I hope they allowed for the extra hour.
Confucius he say man with watch always know time. Man with two watches never quite sure.
Mind you he also said Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day. Man with two hole don’t feel too cocky.

Posted by .

Sara that Cold !

Here an old Antrim Recipe. always works for me.

Boil to good fair sized onion’s till you can stick a fork in them easily.

Take them out put on a plate, Salt and Pepper, to you taste.

And just simply eat them. lol.. but true.

We folk’s know our onions over here Hey !
jim,,,

and thk xst you are not one of them, eh, sara. ?

Thanks, Jim. I’ve got a chicken soup a-boiling as we speak, with a couple of extra onions 🙂

Thai lemongrass soups are great for the purpose, if you get tired of the chicken variety. There are some great seafood ones, and some vegetable ones as well.

Skull - yeah a few drops of Tabasco might help!

Jon - too bad, I’m on the island today, far from Thai Lemongrass (restaurant around the corner from me on Harvard St.). I’ll be sure to get some tomorrow night when I get home.

I have visited small parts of the US, so I appreciate the problem, which is that, because the place is so big to start with, no-one in the country ever manages to think that the rest of the world might be at all different.
Consequently the question posted here at the beginning; it never occurred to our poster that anyone else in the world, any other country, would change their daylight saving scheme at a different weekend than the US.
Doh !
As my partner ( a New Yorker ) was told before she embarked on the six-month study visit to London, UK, that culminated in her meeting me, "You will discover that things you think of as universal are purely local."
There are, in fact, a multitude of things where it is actually the US that is out of step, synch, or agreement with the rest of the world. That the US is in fact a minority.
That’s a hard fact for many in the US to grasp, they make much of their multi-ethnic or old ethnic routes, but most citizens have never left the country to investigate them.
That’s a shame. We’d be happy to welcome them over here and take some of their money in return for a good time, as they always seem so hospitable when I visit them ( my out-laws and others ).

…ROOTS.., NOT routes….!
Spellchecker was missing his coffee.

Just what I needed during the March Madness season of plentiful musical gigs—earlier wakeup calls… 🙁

The US used to be on the same DST as everyone else, then when the whole political vote grabbing green thing started a few years ago, they decided that they would try and save the planet by not having people turn their lights on in the morning during march, so now the planet is a much better and cleaner place, and as millions of Americans drive to work in their 4x4s they must be very proud in the knowledge that they didn’t turn on that 60 watt light bulb in the bathroom this morning.

Well, maybe that’s made the planet an *ever so slightly* better and cleaner place…

the effect of setting the clock later is that it’s now gone back to being dark in the morning when i get up. so i did it, i turned the light on. but i didn’t have to turn it on quite so early in the evening.

correct it’s the other end of the day… so as American comes home from work in their 4x4 ……., on a personal level I would be all for Europe putting their clocks forward in early march..

Nicholas, agreed, but unfortunately the political approach is just one of cosmetic camouflage to hide the tough issues that really need to be tackled…

This is not an attack on US politics, every country is trying to con its’ population in some way or another..

Sara, for congestion, slice a bit of fresh ginger root into a mug, fill with hot water, steep. Inhale and sip.

I mean, inhale the VAPORS, sip the LIQUID.

If that doesn’t work, dissolve some honey in hot water, squeeze in a half a lemon, add a generous tot of whiskey, and inhale. I don’t mean inhale the vapors, I mean drink the liquid before it gets cold. 🙂

Why Bother? is correct. The two-week shift in the U.S.’ Daylight Saving Time (leave off the *’s’* from "Saving", sara505sings) was instituted by the George W. Bush regime to get extra energy benefit from the concept of Daylight Saving Time (the return to Standard Time in the fall was pushed out by two weeks, as well).

This year, folks in Wisconsin (USA), have the added confusion of having to set *their* clocks *back* 50 years.

No wonder it’s so hard to keep it straight. ;-P

I know nothing about the dynamics of US states, but Wisconsin just has that ring about it, that suggests it has always had its’ clocks 50 years behind 🙂

cmon guys, only joking……..

Actually, Wisconsin was a pretty hot progressive state for a good while. Fighting Bob LaFollette is a name to look into - I note that he’s credited in Wikipedia with being "one of the key figures pointed to in Wisconsin’s long history of political liberalism."

One of the fiercest radicals I’ve ever loved working with and butting heads with - terrible singer, but louder than hell - was from Madison and last I heard he was living back there.

Thanks, Ann - you’ve reminded me of another remedy I used to rely on: steep the ginger root with a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes; like Chinese food you don’t have to chew.

Chile, onions, ginger, garlic, honey, whiskey - all good stuff.

Got it, no s in Daylight - don’t know how that one got past this accuracy freak.

I knew an older gentleman, back in 60s here in Massachusetts, who never changed his watch. If you asked him for the time he’d say, "Democrat or Republican?"

Sara

"Democrat or Republican?" lol.

jim,,

Everything you wanted to know about DST, but were afraid to ask:

(Okay, not everything you wanted to know, or maybe far more than you wanted to know)

"In 2007, the United States, Canada, and some additional countries extended the DST period. Previously, the DST period began on the first Sunday in April and ended the last Sunday in October. Now, DST begins for these areas the second Sunday in March and ends the first Sunday in November.

DST was first suggested by Benjamin Franklin in 1784. However, modern DST was proposed by George Vernon Hudson in 1895. Hudson, an entomologist from New Zealand, suggested a two-hour daylight saving shift to the Wellington Philosophical Society. But, DST is credited to William Willett, an English builder. In 1905, Willett proposed that the clock be moved forward during the summer. The proposal went before the House of Commons in February 1908, but was not actually put into practice until 1916, during World War I, when several European countries implemented DST. Thus, “spring forward, fall back” was born. At different periods in history, the amount of the adjustment has been tweaked, but the standard time change is one hour. Also, there have been periods when DST has been used throughout the year, such as in the United States during World War II, from Feb. 3, 1942 until Sept. 30, 1945, when it was deemed “War Time.” "

Most of the U.S. and Canada sprang forward last Sunday at 2:00am. Newfoundland & Labrador, bless their iconoclastic hearts, changed at midnight on the half hour. (I defy anyone to explain that more clearly).

DST is totally redundant nowadays.
Nonetheless, Ireland changes on the last weekend of March.

I strongly advise against putting chile in a cold remedy by the way. It’s a country you know

Well, the West Coast of Chile is already in the water……

I can’t believe people think there are functional cold remedies. The only one that’s ever been proven to do anything is vitamin c, in mass doses, injected intravenously. Since most of us can’t do that, ColdFx (a massive dose of something much like vitamin c) is the next best thing, but it only works during onset of a cold.

Re: Dst— a Brit proposed it be changed 20 min a week, over 3 weeks, isntead of in one big swoop, but he was ignored. Now sleep researchers all support the idea.

Something that has been puzzling me for a while is that if I post something on TheSession.org (a British website) after 10 or 11 pm it gets the next day’s date, whereas if I post on violinist.com (a website firmly established in the USA) my post gets the date and time I posted it from the UK.
Any suggestions?

TheSession has a British admin but it’s hosted in Australia.