Playing with people

Playing with people

I am amazed how much you learn from playing with other people. And they do not need to be more advance than you for you to learn something. My favorite is to play with older people. They sometimes don’t have the physical capacity to play fast and complex, but their bow expression is amazing. Those folks who have been playing for long time and are not concentrating on getting speed but on putting expression in their music. Some of my favorite fiddlers to hear. At one of the circle I go, two guys especially are great at playing slower airs but with such a delightful accent.

I am bringing my bowing machine at the UofA today, if anyone is interested to jam. i’ll be playing in the HUB, SUB and RATT. Please, join in.

Re: Playing with people

No worries, I am not going to play only slow airs…

Hey Carabus I know what you mean. I learn enough in a session to keep me going for ages.

Playing with people is what it’s all about; that bit that just doesn’t come over on the dots or the digiplayer here, the twiddle or the twinkle or the accent, it’s what you get from other people.
Not that the dots aren’t handy at times……

I agree with Guernsey Pete - it’s not satisfying for very long unless
you can play with other people, or at least play *for* them

Turned out I was on my own today at the UofA. Made few people from cape Breton stop by but they did not have instruments…

There’s got to be playing with people involved at some point. The more you exchange, the more you learn, I think it is a give and take. Isn’t it the essence of sessions? Sometimes in sessions it is hard to exchange, it is even better when you get to play with just a few people. Then you can hear what is going on.

Oh, you’re supposed to hear what’s going on at a session?

Who knew?

Depends what you call session. If session include out of pub, you can hear most of the time.

At least on the violin anyways, it is good to hear and see players so you can learn new things.

fnaaar fnaaar whoooooo to quote Finbar Saunders.

And if they are good players, you can learn more by watching and listening than playing along.
It never ceases to amaze me, the number of people who play in sessions, with their heads down, oblivious to all that is going on around them.