Movies, Documentaries?

Movies, Documentaries?

Do you all know of any good films(that are on DVD)about ITM?

While i was looking for some recordings of the tunes i heard at a session last night, i came across a clip from the movie "The Boys and Girls of County Clare". Does anyone know of this movie, and if so, is it any good("any good" meaning, is it reliable source for studying this music)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17Jd319fVI

They played "The Humours of Trim" which is now another favored tune of mine 🙂

Re: Movies, Documentaries?

Instead of studying this music, just enjoy the movies. Yes, "Boys and Girl of County Clare" (note there is only one girl—that’s important to the plot) is worth watching. Very funny.

Also good, less about the music, would be "Waking Ned Devine."

"Secret of Roan Innish" has some nice playing in the sound track.

I’m sure there are others, but my mind has gone blank.

You can also buy the DVDs for the series on Irish traditional music, "Come West Along the Road." Excellent range of music and eras covered.

Posted .

"Just enjoy the movies" I like your idea better 🙂

And i guess i should elaborate, i’m a huge fan of movies with good soundtracks 🙂

And i do like a good documentary.

I’ll check out these movies.

They had a few good actors in that film. I know that Colm Meaney and Andrea Corr are musicians but I felt it was a shame that the musicans who did the actual playing were not credited. Probably the Kilfenora was in there somewhere?

Lesley Bingham was in it as well..

Didn’t Mustardville’s own Ptarmigan make a brief appearance in that movie?

Ptarmigan is indeed in the openning sequence.

Is it a national law that Colm Meaney must play the part of the boorish father in every Irish comedy made in the last 20 years?

Just watched The Snapper again a few nights ago. No tunes, but very funny. Colm’s a riot.

Our little group has adopted the "f##king jazz" line

-with an ‘n’

Posted by .

"From Shore to Shore" is a good one about the development of traditional Irish music over the years in New York. Has been a few years since I’ve seen it, but I think that was basically the idea of the documentary. Has some great history and great music footage. Here’s a link to it: http://www.cherrylaneproductions.com/s2s/s2s.html. Is available through the online store link.

Come West…like Will said…great footage…several eras covered…I like very much The Boys and Girl…and Waking Ned as well as Roan Inish…

I just recently watched The Wind that Shakes the Barley…sometime difficult to digest…a very good movie though about the Black and Tans and English rule (dominance or wannabe) over Ireland in the 1920’s…it is a ones sided statement of the political nature of the time..not really a lot of music except at a brief wake scene…., but it is Ireland

…not trying to be fractious….

The Sting will always be my favorite movie soundtrack. Even though the movie takes place 30 years after the ragtime era….and not a damn thing to do with Irish music. Sherlock Holmes has a great soundtrack-Irish and Kelzmer-fantastic stuff…movie wasn’t too bad either.

Waking Ned has an awsome soundtrack:
The Tullymore Polka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xeneq5TeU8

The story is pretty funnny though, Ned wins loads of money on the lottery then dies. His friends decide to claim the reward in his name, because it is what he would have wanted. The movie then goes on to chronicle his two friends trying to convince the village to take part in this.

My fiddle teacher was off ill around christmas time and stumbled accross this film whilst curled up on her sofa. Last week she sent me home and my homework was to watch it.

Anyone remember I think it was called " the Scarlet Buccaneer"
Patrick McGoohan starred and music by one of the Clancy’s

I’m with you on The Snapper, Jusa - a great Irish movie but the wit might be lost on the sensibilities of other nationalities. Did you ever read Roddy Doyle’s, The Van - you’d break your heart laughing at the carry on.

Posted .

Stephen Frears did a movie of ‘the Van’, with Colm Meaney again.

As to the original; question: watch Nuala O Connor and Breandan Begley’s Sé Mo Laoch series, going back a long way ‘Bringing it all back home’ and all that sort of thing. Ken Lynam’s ‘Handing down the Tunes’ , the Traveller Music series, the regional styles one, the Raw Bar. Plenty to choose from.

Posted .

Another one I find worth a viewing is : "Local Hero". Scotland, not Ireland I know, but the story is universal and the music worth a listen (OK, I admit I am a Mark Knoffler fan as well…).

There’s also "The field" 1990 - with Liam O’Flynn on pipes

"-with an ‘n’ " wrote gam - What do you mean?

Darby O Gill and the little people..

The other day I watched "Dancing at Lughnasa" starring Meryl Streep on our free movie TV channel. I enjoyed Bill Whelan’s score (head down, ready for the flak).

And how could we forget that traditional music favorite, The Commitments? (There IS a fiddle tune (2 seconds?) in there. 😀

Bit of pipes, too.

The Van was very entertaining (anything written by Doyle gets me laughing).

Colm Meaney was the dad in The Commitments too (clearly an Irish cinematic bylaw)

The Field however was depressing as hell.

I seem to remember a few tunes in My Left Foot and In the Name of The Father - both with Daniel Day Lewis…

Also, check out Cal and Some Mother’s Son - decent soundtracks in those as I recall.

Titanic - Those mad jigs down in steerage, and that horrible gurgling sound at the end.

Not traditional, but very definitely Irish, check out "Once" A shoestring budget, feelgood film about a busker in Dublin. I hesitate to call it a musical, because I despise musicals, but there are a lot of songs in it. The lead actor has an absolutely amazing voice.

Also, the opening couple of minutes are hilarious.

‘Once’ is also nearly as good as a visit home for anybody who’s ever lived in Dublin.

vonnie - I liked dancing at lunasa as well. I don’t care what the begrudgers may think. An enjoyable if not very profound or "authentic" (whatever that is) film.

thanks folks, i really appreciate it. because of my families culture, i’m sure the closest thing to an Irish movie i got was "Titanic", which i’m sure, isn’t really Irish at all right? I’ve missed out on a lot, but i’m young and have time to watch great movies from other countries. Anyway, i’m sure i’ll find a couple of gems here and there. I get paid tomorrow so i’ll be ordering my first one 🙂 I’ll let you all know which one i decided to watch an how much i enjoyed it(which i’m sure i will) thanks everyone 🙂