BBC Documentaries on Irish Folk Revival

Re: BBC Documentaries on Irish Folk Revival

Yes, pretty good viewing. I watched them a few days ago.

Really interesting pair of programmes.
It would be considered white and elitist for the BBC to show a programme like that about English folk-music over the last 40 years.

Actually, the opposite is true. The BBC made the 3-part Folk Brittania (primarily focusing on English and Scottish folk) before making Folk Hibernia. The scope of the Folk Brittania documentary is a lot more comprehensive and impressive than the Folk Hibernia one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/features/folk-britannia.shtml

I’ve seen the first one - it’s marvellous. Wish they’d had full-on, extended coverage of early Planxty gigs where the audience went ape. Or Bothy Band, or De Dannan, or Altan, for that matter…

It’s hard to relate from an English perspective to a setting like De Valera’s Ireland where the countryside had such national heft, with a real stand-off between rural and urban ways and values. The percentage of farmers and land-based workers in England has long been too low for this to apply here, and the countryside has consequently been seen pervasively as a kind of Laura Ashley accessory by the zillions of urbanites.

Greece was more like Ireland in this respect, in the 40s/50s/60s, with a large rural population and a definite stand-off. The countryside supplied a lot of the army, and the army supplied the 60s/70s dictatorship. They didn’t like urban intellectual types, and went for them. In recent decades though the rural population has shrunk sharply.

is there ANY way to see this without the use of the iplayer
i live in japan and it is “not available in my area”
sadly…

Thank GOD we all live in one world.

I live apox 50 miles of the coast of England in Holland in it’s not available in my area…

Holland must have moved.

There are services out there that makes you connect to a server in fx. Britain,via vpn…

In Firefox, install the Stealth addon. In preferences, enter GB as the country code, hit OK, restart Firefox, enable Stealth, then try the BBC again. Stealth is experimental, but it worked well enough for me to view the video, but I couldn’t download it. I live in Oz.
The site allowed me to install iplayer with no problems.
VPN is another way but I don’t have the brain power to work that one out, being a muso…