Cape Breton

Cape Breton

If you are thinking of moving there because you "love" the music… in my *humble* opinion…. DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Posted by .

Re: Cape Breton

Oh dear. Bad night?

Posted by .

Depends what "music" you’re moving there for. How did you come to that conclusion, "CC" ?

Posted by .

Well, I wouldn’t move there for the weather.

Or any other trad place.

But come on, what did they *do* to you?

Answers on no more than three sides of the paper, please.

It might have something to do with the fact that most good Cape Breton fiddlers move out to Toronto or somewhere as soon as possible. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

It could be either a cause or an effect, who knows?

no room for strummers in Cape Breton?

a tad harsh, eh? great music all around, if you know where to look…..

My understanding is that not much happens concert-wise/dance-wise on Cape Breton Island until July 1, at which point things get VERY musically interesting through August, with Celtic Colors being the last-bash before the following July.

That said, I have no idea who CC is, or what story inspired this venting, but he/she probably would be treated much better in general if he/she were a fiddle player rather that a guitar/mando/bouzouki.

It’

Gah… stray keystroke.

I was going to say that it’s also worth noting that the local "session" culture (at least as I saw it in Inverness county), seems much more oriented towards solo-fiddle/piano pairs than Irish-style group sessions.

I remember being in a small living room filled with fantastic local musicians after a dance one year; the woman of the house went and brought out her amplifier, and handed the plug to the first fiddler on her right. That fiddler played 4 sets of tunes with the pianist, then handed the plug to the next fiddler, who played his 4 sets and handed the plug over to the next one, and so on…

They stomp their feet too much when fiddling. There used to be a bumper sticker down there: "Buddy MacMaster for President".

Salt

nah, it was Rodney MacDonald for Premier ;)