R.I.P. David Kettlewell

R.I.P. David Kettlewell

David Kettelwell, harper, hammered dulcimer player, poet, and author of the first phd on hammered dulcimers passed away monday 4th april. We “mete” trhrough the internet, he was a great guy.

Re: R.I.P. David Kettlewell

A very talented and intelligent individual. Sad.

A sad day for Dulcimer players everywhere!

For those of you who aren’t aware of David’s work, by way of an introduction, here’s a link to his extensive & impressive website:

http://dulcimer.new-renaissance.com/

Cheers
Dick

A sad day for all who appreciate scholarly efforts in the trad music world.

He will be missed.

I’d not met him for many years, but I was aware of his work with his band “Trotto”, and other projects.
Also check out the Hammer film “Countess Dracula”, where there is a tall bearded hammer dulcimer player, working with a fiddler and a dancing girl. The dancing girl ends up drained of her blood to rejuvenate the Countess, but unfortunately her blood doesn’t work, as she turns out not to have been a virgin !
The bearded dulcimer player does look familiar, though.

David Kettlewell had probably the greatest influence on my involvement in traditional music.
We first met in about 1967 when he had the job of South of England Representative for the English Folk Dance and Song Socirty. He was based near Andover and I lived in Bournemouth.
I had formed a small band with two fiddlers and a spoons player and he was the first caller to use us.
He then moved on to study at Guildford University and I moved to Aldershot to take up a teaching post. He drew me into playing at the University for informal dance and music sessions on the campass.
I formed a band with a very good fiddler and banjo player and when these members moved out of the area he got me to join another band in the area as their lead musician and through this I met my wife. We now have a fairly successful Ceilidh band in Gloucestershire.
Dave was in the right places at the right times and has probably been the catalyst to my further development.
He moved on to Sweden. I moved on to Gloucestershire. We did write to each other a few times. His letters were always addressed to Ynothna Snobbig but we have not been in contact with each other for over thirty years.
No doubt he has had an influence on many but certainly I have benefitted greatly by having been in his company.

Thank you David, may you never be forgotten.

TG

Posted by .