Its Dynamite!

Its Dynamite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdFJNgGR9es

Many of the other videos i’ve posted here have gotten a good response, so here’s another one…

Several people in the past on this website have complained that I was "up to my old tricks" when I sought to promote my band’s music. That is why I am openly stating that this is a video of myself and my friends playing a few tunes and enjoying ourselves at a recent gig. After all, isnt promoting stuff like that what this website is all about?

Hope ye enjoy it. I’d love feedback, good or bad. We just decided we’d mess about with these two tunes. The first is "Skidoo", a reel recorded by stocktons wing all those years ago. The second is an interesting tune called "Song for a found harmonium." It featured in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" and was also recorded by several well known musicians, most recently Sharon Shannon.

Musicians are: Myself on banjo, Mairtin Quigley on Bouzouki, and Jordan Denning on Bodhran. My cameraman is the great francis cunningham, concertinist extraordinaire! πŸ™‚ Video quality isnt great, but the sound is there. Shur isnt sound all you need when it comes to music πŸ™‚

Thanks a mill, I’d Love to see some more views for us, if anyone’s interested in passing any of my videos on πŸ™‚
Josh.

Re: Its Dynamite!

I’m sorry, but that was awful.

And I’m sorry that self delusion is rife

Posted .

It’s ok. I know self delusion is rife. perhaps verying opinions and consrtructive criticism will break us affected out of our delusion. We can always strive to do better. Thanks llig.

The quality of the recording is bad enough that I’m willing to assume it might be better than it sounds, but I’m afraid that I don’t see how it could get less bad by hearing more of any of it.

The sound quality of the recording is terrible. And visually everything is too dark I can’t make out the humans from the instruments! You’re doing yourselves and your music a disservice by posting substandard quality videos online. Perhaps next time you might consider videoing yourselves in a quieter environment, there’s far too much background noise.

I think the "background noise" is the bouzouki, actually.

The background noise I was referring to is all the chatter and clinking of glasses. It’s so dark I could’nt make out whether there was a bouzouki or a guitar or two banjos.

Honestly lads? No rhyme nor reason to the playing…Parts missing etc…Not quite as explosive as we were led to believe. Read what Tony said above.

Tony’s first response is right on. I can’t imagine anybody enjoying it.

The sound quality is so poor I can’t make out a thing other than the banjo and the camera is giving me motion sickness.

And no, this website is not about attempts to pretend you’re not promoting your band.

Sorry ,but I did’nt like it much either…
I agree with Tony O’Rourke….if you’re going to plug yerself (and I don’t know if this was your intention) get something of good quality sound/vision wise …
Good ,constructive criticism from all here too ….

I think we are all lessened as humans for having watched that video. May God have mercy on your soul.

It needs Dynarod!

I’m sorry but the sound quality is rubbish. I can’t believe you honestly think it OK (unless this is some sort of wind up). It sounds like it was recorded via the horrid little mic on the ‘camcorder’ or your box player’s ‘phone.
The video quality is undesirable. Did you not watch it yourself and apply a degree of quality control before posting?
Are you sure this is a gig? Looks like an ad hoc session or reheasal to me!
It’s difficult to pass a critique on the music as the sound quality is so so sub-standard but, honestly, it doesn’t sound that special. I can hear a banjo trying to play some tunes (including- alledgedly- the universally UNPOPULAR Found Harmonium!) and a bunch a backers thrashing away. You wrote: ‘isnt promoting stuff like that what this website is all about? No! Not ‘stuff like this’.

I admire your enthusiasm and naivety but this is tempered by a concern about, as I said, your quality control (unless, of course, this is actually a joke!).

Last thought: Perhaps if ‘the great francis cunningham, concertinist extraordinaire!’ had played his instrument it would have turned out better for EVERYONE in two ways: You may have had a better tune and there would never have been a recording. Everyone (including us posters) would have been winners!

"… their rendition of the tune "Song for a found harmonium" …"
You can’t even get the words right, never mind the notes. You are deluded. This is not worth watching or listening to.

Posted by .

Anybody got some dynamite ?

wow. massacre it seems. back to the drawing board. This was recorded on a mobile phone, yes. Obviously, Georgi, I did not intend to promote my music anymore after that first instance. It was no intention of mine in this post to have strange overly-interested people pick out every detail of my online history. Thank you all for the comments. Seems to me sessions are enjoyable, social settings. This site has become something else………..

"…strange overly-interested people…" = anyone who doesn’t think the sun shines out of your banjo.

Posted by .

jlocky, Georgi makes some rather constructive points and cuts you some real slack personally tempered with some good advice.

Your a young fellow so your unlikely to take Georgi advice in the spirit it was given and I wouldn’t expect anything else, biting the hand that feeds you is symptomatic of the condition after all. But do read Georgi’s post again, there are many lessons contained therein and I felt it the only post thus far that puts a positive gloss that others haven’t credited you with.

When you can accept you’ve made a mistake, instead of blaming others or in the case of:

"Seems to me sessions are enjoyable, social settings. This site has become something else……….."

then you’ll know that you are no longer a kid. Taking responsibility for your actions is the mark of a functional adult. Your in the cusp between the kiddy world and the doomed horrid real adult version, not asking you to grow up and I would recommend holding onto it for as long as you can, but you have to learn to accept responsibility for your actions.

I know I made a mistake with previous posts. I respect that. I accept that. What i’m trying to say is that I’d appreciate if past mistakes were not purposely sought out and pointed out to people. I tried to correct those past mistakes by openly stating it in this post. Doesn’t seem to be enough.
There arent many ways for a young musician to get his music heard…..I thought this sight was a way to let yourself be heard by a more widespread audience, hear other people’s opinions, while also conversing and aiding people with all aspects of ITM.
Perhaps I was wrong.
sorry about that. Can safely say it wont happen again. I accept criticism, and I take it into account. I’l make certain my recordings from now on are of better quality, but I wont be posting them here…..
This site is a valuable resource, but only when people are helpful. Be it criticism or praise, there is no need for slander or rudeness.
I apologise,
Josh.

I’ll take a different view. No need to apologise for youthful exuberance, it’s the bedrock of your future and long may you continue to develop by doing what seems right at the time. Faultless performance and adhering to suspect convention are monotonous themes that permeate all aspects of society. By all means learn from mistakes but do it on your own terms. We’ll all be the better for it if you do.

the train is going o
f
f
t
h
e
c
l
i
ffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets hope it’s got a few carriages of perfect specimens on board

"but you have to learn to accept responsibility for your actions. "

Actually, to his credit, there is nothing in jlocky’s replies to suggest that he is not taking reponsibility for his actions; he has accepted all criticism very graciously. He is, understandably, a little shocked by the untempered vitriol in some of the comments - which, presumably, was the intention of the people that posted them. No doubt, a few lessons have been learned, like:
1. Promoting your band is *not* what this site is all about
2. If you put yourself on the butcher’s block, expect to be cut to pieces (if you’ll excuse the analogy)
3. Mobile phone recordings sound cr@p, however good the music actually is.

"I apologise, Josh."

Nice one jlocky.

"Actually, to his credit, there is nothing in jlocky’s replies to suggest that he is not taking reponsibility for his actions; he has accepted all criticism very graciously. He is, understandably, a little shocked by the untempered vitriol in some of the comments - which, presumably, was the intention of the people that posted them. No doubt, a few lessons have been learned, like:
1. Promoting your band is *not* what this site is all about
2. If you put yourself on the butcher’s block, expect to be cut to pieces (if you’ll excuse the analogy)
3. Mobile phone recordings sound cr@p, however good the music actually is." CreadurMawnOrganig

Actually a very good synopses there Creadur. I know I was coming across all grandpa jones like in my post above. My point was really not to shift the blame for the uncomfortable bits back onto the board, the board isn’t perfect but neither is it all bad, introspective analysis rather than firing from the hip.

Hopefully Josh will learn to do as I do with the vitriol and just ignore it. It’s just back ground distortion and sorting the wheat from the chaff is a key life skill and so this board is actually good practice in that department. That and the fact that the "4 string bodhran creed" come in for enough prejudice so we have to stick together and learn to engage with our detractors. Shutting them out lulls them into thinking that their right.

Keep the faith.

"I know I made a mistake with previous posts. I respect that. I accept that."

Ah, the legacy of the 1990s: the defensive apology. "Now that I’ve been caught, I’ll own up to it hoping and expecting that that’ll make it go away". Kid, that’s never convinced anyone and it’s a despicable dishonest sort of a politician’s habit. Get out of that habit now and make your life a lot better.

"What i’m trying to say is that I’d appreciate if past mistakes were not purposely sought out and pointed out to people."

If you don’t pull that sort of crap, there won’t be anything to seek out and point out. Georgi took a few minutes to point out to you how pathetically easy it is to see through your lying ass, and he did you a real favor. Say thank you, then go home and do some studying. It’ll take you a few years to learn to play the banjo, and with any luck you’ll spend some of that time in the real world learning how to interact with people in a way that doesn’t involve trying to lie to them.
Or, god forbid, you’ll go into marketing and learn how to lie to them a little more effectively.

Or perhaps, Jon, other people need to learn to interact with people respectively in the real world rather than spend time looking for bad points in their "Virtual" past. They need not be sought out at all, they’re done. Have you ever heard of a thing called a "learning curve" ? Perhaps some day you’ll learn to interact with people amicably, "In the real world" of virtual sessions.

Needless to say I’m going to receive some other witty reply to this message. From some other doubtlessly bored individual that has nothing better to do than delve further into my online history to find out "Yes, I was the one that had a pet fish named Goldie when I was nine". Scandalous stuff, isnt it?

I’m done. @Creadur and Solid, thank you. My apology actually was sincere. won’t happen again. Think I’ll try it your way, "Sort the wheat from the chaff" from now on.
J.

"My apology actually was sincere. won’t happen again. Think I’ll try it your way, "Sort the wheat from the chaff" from now on." jlocky

I wouldn’t worry yourself about it and you were good enough to apologise so AFAIC the line is drawn and we’ve crossed into a new day.

Some people on here could do with remembering what it’s like starting out on the rocky road to enlightenment and perhaps temper their attitudes accordingly, just saying like.

"Now, her’s how to do a proper demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/4BWiDOgAdHI"
—-Michael Eskin

Hmph. I’m not sure whether it’s ballsy, or foolish to inject an unqualified self-plug (for your iPad app) into the middle of a storm of vitriol over somebody who over-promoted himself on an internet forum.

Ain’t irony fun… It was meant as a joke. If someone is going to post a promo video, then it should be a promo video.

I really don’t think anyone on thesession.org really gives a rats behind about a 3-row accordion FBbEb app for the iPad anyway, it’s for the Tex-Mex players like Grupo Delirio featured in the video.

One thing for jlocky to remember:
Always take praise with a grain of salt and evaluate where it is coming from because sometimes people do not want to offend you when you are face-to-face. Ask yourself is this true praise or are they choosing their words very carefully.
Of course all gloves are off in an impersonal blind taste test.
My vote: I only listened for several seconds because it was too dark and there really was too much noise in the background. Sorry. Didn’t listen long enough to review your playing.
As Mr T. said about anyone posting themselves online - "I pity the fool."

Note to self:
1) Learn to play accordion like Mairtin O’Connor.
2) Post youtube video on thesession.org.
(And under no circumstances, reverse the order of steps 1 and 2.)

"Note to self:
1) Learn to play accordion like Mairtin O’Connor.
2) Post youtube video on thesession.org.
(And under no circumstances, reverse the order of steps 1 and 2.)"

If you manage to achieve step 1, somebody else will undoubtedly beat you to step 2.

You broke the Humility rule. You called yourself "dynamite". How did you brake this rule? By not being dynamite. This is the reason i refuse to brag about myself, because if i say that i’m amazing, and i’m not amazing, my audience will be terribly dissappointed. But if you humble yourself and claim the "I’m ok, still learning though…" You’re being honest with yourself and everyone else. Now when you do your "less than amazing" performance, noone’s disappointed.

Excuse me, the "Modesty" rule. That’s a more fitting term.

by the way, this rule only exist in my own little imagination. Some people say it’s good to brag about yourself. But IMHO, it’s not.

I really enjoyed that bit of self promotion Michael. thanks!

Posted by .

I did not call myself dynamite. I called the tune dynamite, as it was recorded in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". That was explained at the very top of this thread.

Josh, the video seems to be gone so I cannot comment on the recording.

Michael, I’ve never seen a band with anyone playing that particular Hohner accordion. Where can I get one?
"… I’ve never positioned any of my apps as replacements for the real instruments, just learning and practice tools that are designed to work as close to the real instruments as is possible given the limitations of what can be done on a touch screen device." May 18th 2010
Cheers!

Posted by .

"I did not call myself dynamite. I called the tune dynamite, as it was recorded in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". "

You didn’t actually expect *this* crowd to understand the reference, do you?

πŸ™‚ Lost cause I’d say. And btw love the other video you posted. You have a talent and while you may not get far on this site, I’m sure you’ll do fine. One advice I can give is don’t take what you read on the internet too seriously.

"One advice I can give is don’t take what you read on the internet too seriously."

Wow… that’s like… reflexive or recursive or something… deep, dude….

(sorry, reading Ben’s posts seems to have given me a contact buzz)

"(sorry, reading Ben’s posts seems to have given me a contact buzz)" Jon Kiparasky

Oh dear Jon, best avoid our sessions if your that delicate!

Personally jlocky I think sitting down and learning that tune was an achievement, and for a mobile recording in the back of a noisy bar you didnt play it half bad πŸ™‚
Don’t listen to these guys, they feed off the young in the hopes it’ll return them to better times ;) I’d love to see one of them attempt to play this tune effectively. You pulled it off. Well done!
F.C.