Mac darra has a cd out there at last!

Re: Mac darra has a cd out there at last!

And very good it is too.

Posted by .

Yeah they’ve been playing it on ClareFm in recent days, McDarra’s playing has a lovely style and character to it.

Fabulous stuff. Love it.

great. does he play sessions around meath anywhere?

Love it. I’ve bought it and it’s ideal with which to practice bodhran accompaniment.

Bodhran, perhaps, with solo fiddle.

Washboard is the thing, really.

Posted by .

"Love it. I’ve bought it and it’s ideal with which to practice bodhran accompaniment"

Man, you’re harsh. If you can’t say something nice…

I was never a big fan of solo fiddle but this is probably the nicest solo fiddle I have heard. The addition of any other instrument would be an interference; his style and the sound of the foot tap is all that is needed.
But I totally appreciate why Gran Cassa would like to join in on his bodhran, assuming that he keeps it really simple.

Yeah. Absolutely. The fiddle doesn’t NEED anything else at all but It was the sound of the foot tapping in the video that in itself suggests that sensitive percussive accompaniment would’nt do it any harm.

I think it’s fair to say that he will know many experienced Bodhran players & if he’d felt the need for that, or any other form of accompaniment, I’m sure he would have added it.

However, I reckon he’s simply saying, here are some tunes on the Fiddle ….. that’s all you need. 😉

Cheers
Dick

Dick, mate.
He added his accomp by the good old / bad old tapping foot. It’s his gig, no arguing. I’m not saying it needs anything else. Please just read what I wrote: I can listen to his wonderful playing unadorned or in the privacy of my own home, I can play along with the recording. No harm done.They can’t touch you for it!

Gran Cassa is right, IMO. the third time I listened to the CD I actually played the bodhrán along with it. Every track except the slow air. His rhythm is particularly ‘square’ with hardly any swing in the timing, and as such is easy to drum to. Whether this makes it ‘good for practice’ is a moot point, but it is certainly very enjoyable.

Posted by .