pick up for yamaha 180 nippon gakki

pick up for yamaha 180 nippon gakki

what sort of pick up would you go for in one of these?? thanks

Posted by .

Re: pick up for yamaha 180 nippon gakki

thats a dreadnaught guitar if anyone is wondering…..i dont like piezo or magnetic picups so was wondering if there is anything better out there…

Posted by .

There are a number of soundboard pickups offered today. The one I’m famliar with is K&K, which I find to be excellent. There are other makers as well, notably "Pick Up The World", which are well reputed, so check them out as well. If you don’t like piezo or magnetics (and I agree with you on that) then this is a good way to go.

If you don’t like magnetic or piezo, that doesn’t leave a lot of other options. The only other possibility is an internal mic, but they also have isadvantages. A lot of people these days are going for combination setups - a piezo either on the soundboard or undersaddle, combined with an internal mic. The ‘boominess’ of the mic offsets the ‘tinniness’ of the piezo.

Fishman’s Matrix Blend is a very good example, and the most natural sounding setup I’ve come across.

I use LR Bagg M-1 Active pickups for my guitars. They are soundhole mounted and have an onboard volume control.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/LRBM1A.htm

I also use a Baggs Para EQ to mix and blend:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PADI.htm

On a smaller guitar I use a Baggs Double Barrel - saddle and mic mixing pickup, but they’ve been discontinued.

The Baggs sound honestly/naturally sounds like a guitar with very few of the issues related to mics or transducer pickups. They’re easy to install and the button battery lasts for at least a year gigging every week.

thanks, im looking into the fishman matrix blend,

Posted by .

"If you don’t like magnetic or piezo, that doesn’t leave a lot of other options. The only other possibility is an internal mic, but they also have disadvantages"

I think when he says "piezo" he means undersaddle, not AST. There are plenty of AST options, many of them good.
miss: the Baggs undersaddle in my Epiphone is one of the worst mistakes I’ve ever made in guitar equipment. It sounds terrible. Unless they’ve completely revamped the technology, I couldn’t steer you towards any Baggs product including an undersaddle pickup.