“The National Jukebox” - U.S.

“The National Jukebox” - U.S.

I ran into this today on TheViolinist.com website:
The Library of Congress and Sony Music Entertainment today unveiled a new website of over 10,000 rare historic sound recordings available to the public for the first time digitally. The site is called the “National Jukebox” (www.loc.gov/jukebox/).

Developed by the Library of Congress, with assets provided by Sony Music Entertainment, the National Jukebox offers free online access to a vast selection of music and spoken-word recordings produced in the U.S. between the years 1901 and 1925.

I’ve just sampled a few of the audio recordings and they are wonderful bits of the past.

Re: “The National Jukebox” - U.S.

Thanks Mary Margaret. Looks like a treasure trove.

I had better luck with Firefox than Safari. I’m now listening to Patrick Touhey’s Drowsy Maggie, take 2.

This looks like a good Bookmark, Thanks Mary I must return to it -
jim,,,

I know there’s not much - if anything - for Irish Traditional Music - but I sure enjoyed listening to a recording of Thomas Dooley speaking to a group of Suffragettes in 1910.

On browsing through the database the only example of Irish Traditional Music I noticed was a 1924 Victrola recording of Frank Quinn playing "The Young Teetotaler". There may be others, of course, but my browsing was rather limited.

Just heard Patrick Touhey’s "Drowsy Maggie/Scotch Mary/Flogging Reel recording (1919). Wow, he was an incredible piper.

Along the same lines as the Canadian Virtual Gramophone. Excellent resources.