Delete

Delete

I think it’s time that this site had a delete button for those people who constantly submit original tunes most of which are crapp and especially when the first tune they post is an "original." It’s getting stupid.

Or maybe a qualification box in the submission process like "Did you compose this tune? Yes or No." "Is this a trad. tune? and/or "Name of the Composer." Yes people can lie but maybe it would help in weeding out the abusers and self promoters who have no interest in what this site is all about.

Or perhaps a gladitorial thumbs up/down voting method?! To kill the original tunes that aren’t liked.

Re: Delete

I think the best way to deal with this would be to allow for users to filter out tunes from searches based on how many recordings they’ve appeared in. I’m not a fan of having to sift through large numbers of, well, unwanted tunes either.

Just out of curiosity, do you really do a lot of browsing through tunes so that you’re running into all the chaff? 99% of the tunes that I’m looking at on this site I either searched for, found through looking up a recording, or followed a link from either a discussion or one of the tune search engines. So it’s pretty rare that I end up running into all the "original" tunes that people post…

I do exactly what Reverend does with the tunes. And I woulnd’t dare judge if a tune is crap or not… there are tunes I like, and tunes I don’t like. And sometimes I get to like tunes I started by not liking, and get fed up with tunes I used to love, but I do believe not one tune is crap. It’s never the tune, always the player, and the same goes with instruments.
Having said that, it’s up to the honesty of the people who submit tunes to respect this site’s etiquette : if you submit one of your own tunes, then you have to submit five trad tunes. And the elementary politeness and honesty is to write the origin one knows of the tune : which source it comes from (recording, session, teaching…)

Crap tunes don’t do any harm. They just vegetate in the database.
It’s not like they somehow degrade the good tunes by their
proximity.

All tunes were original once. How about a separate section - with voting?

How about we just ignore this alleged crisis?

I do not recall having any major problems looking up a tune here.

I type in a tune title i have, and find not only the dots and some alternate titles, but frequently a bit of information and history I did not have before. Also, right theere next to it, I get a list of recording artists who also thought it was good enough of a tune, and recorded it.

Fix it?
What the blue blazes is broken?

Grumble grumble….

Posted by .

As long as there is enough space on the server I don’t mind. I only use the database when I’m after a specific tune. Voting? There’s enough of that around elsewhere. It makes people believe that the result tells the truth about the quality which of course it can’t. Think of the ESC. 🙂
I might not like a tune when I read it but if it is played well it might be different.
Good players usually just record the good tunes which is a helpful kind of voting.

Posted by .

Jeremy’s already got it covered in the FAQ:-
"Can I submit my own compositions?
Well… The Session isn’t really intended for that. If you do post one of your own compositions, then you must do your "penance", so to speak, by balancing each original composition with about five trad tunes."

Posted by .

I think the reason that people don’t follow that rule anymore is that it is really difficult to come up with 5 trad tunes that aren’t already in there. I have transcribed and submitted the ONE tune I wasn’t ever able to find. (And there is one of my original tunes in there, but I didn’t submit it… Someone with more than their fair share of submissions did… 😉)

I know I don’t post on here frequently, but I’ve been around the site for a while. In reference ro Reverend’s comment about it being tough to find tunes that aren’t in the database, it’s been nice to see the site get to this point over the years. When I first started coming to the site, the tune selection was a bit sparse, so I would often end up going to other sites to find tunes. That’s definitely not the case anymore, and thesession tends to be my one-stop shop for tunes/tune parts. Even when people post duplications, occasionally their duplications come from decent sources and will end up in the comments section of the originally posted tune. All of that stuff helps this site become a pretty solid reference tool for tunes. As for weeding through the other stuff, yeah, can’t say I’ve ever had a problem as long as I know what tune I’m looking for.

How original - 5 threads in a row poted by people with "fiddle" in their usernames:
fiddlecraver
fiddleruairi
fiddlelearner
fiddlydee
FiddleTramp

Posted by .

- "posted", of course.

Posted by .

Glad I am not on that wee list, Navigator… : )

jim,,,

And then there are those who don’t write ABC - like me. (blush) I know this splendid little waltz called Buds in Winter that I’d like someone to post. Can we have a section for un-posted tunes as well?

Posted by .

can you read sheet music?
what is the range of all notes in the tune? as currently written of course.

"I know this splendid little waltz called Buds in Winter that I’d like someone to post." - best to send a recording of it then to someone who posts tunes up regularly. I’m sure they’ll be happy to figure it out.

Posted .

The beauty of computer data bases is that useless data usually fades off, lost in the volume of electronic ether (until the IT Nazi complains about the cost of server storage space)

If the orignals are sh*te as you say, they get one look by the unexpected and are closed never to be seen again.

I have not had the experience you describe.

My greater issue, is that lack of a correction mechanism for tunes that have been entered. Oft the tunes are written by well-intentioned, wonder ful people with marginal experience in ABC or spots or both. Ergo, transcription errors. I am quite guilty of this. Then the tunes don’t always notate up as intended. Or the spotsare correctly noted, but are an individuals arrangement/take on a tune which may be far from the accepted ‘bones’ the rest of the world starts from.

Oh well.

Delete (or not)

The database is set up in a very specific way. The tune submission is only a small bit about the tune. The juicy stuff, well that’s not on a server, but the stuff worth *looking* for is almost always in the comments.

I think the comments over there are not edited as much in the General Opinion Pages. Some things should remain in their less than perfect state. imho.

Posted by .

kuec, I don’t frequent the Tunes Section. I would enjoy hearing a recording if you care to prepare one & provide a link.

Ben

Posted by .

What the blue blazes is broken?

~ Sheet music which does not match the abcs.

~ Links to recordings which do not have the tune. Often due to how the name of a tune is indexed. (Another example is Dervish’s "Live in Palma" Trip to Sligo set (of reels))

~ R: information field allows for very specific tune types (may or may not be considered a problem, though it has been the topic of discussions).

~ rare, but occasionally people have downloaded sheet music with obvious errors, passed it around in session, learnt it, & I swear this is true … tell someone who is trying to learn from said sheet, "Don’t really follow the notes the way their written." But that could happen with any representation of any tune off paper.

Posted by .

their ~ they’re

Posted by .

I don’t think I’m being negative about this, and have nothing against original tunes or the value of modern tunes.

I did list some very entertaining solutions to those who simply ignore the "rules" about tune submission. Like a little thumbs up/down button!? ;)

Oooohh. Hockey Themed Music.

😉

Compost!

The self-obsessed

There’s been a curious few who after their first half dozen self-composed tunes in a row got a response from Jeremy and others. Some had tunes axed, most took the hint and stopped, and some went off in a huff, their genius unappreciated…

Yes, Jeremy has deleted tunes in the past…