Choosing your name for the Session.

Choosing your name for the Session.

I just wondered how you all chose your name for posting here in the Session.

Some seem a little off beat, some normal, some just bizzare! (Not naming any you understand).

Mine is my maiden name ‘Lee’ and from Susan, my first name, Susie as my family call me occasionally. Normal I suppose. But what about some of you others? What’s the story behind yours? Anything to do with the music, band name, tune?

Just very curious.

Re: Choosing your name for the Session.

My name is just the name I’ve used on the net for years. I picked it ages ago and it’s stuck to the point at which many people who I met on the net, still call me it in real life! lol

The name, incidentally, comes from a series of fantasy novels, called DragonLance. Crysania was in love with my favourite character (Raistlin), and so I picked her name when I went on the net.

I play the harp i.e Harper_Lad. Haha simple enough eh?

Johnathan

I took the hardest way.
I picked my first name.
Ingenious and innovative I call it.

I play the whistle, and yes, I like to play bare, when alone of course. I had to adopt a camp name at buckskinners rendezvous once while doing night-time gate watch, for the benefit of communicating with HQ. So since it sounded like BEAR, which sort of fits my physical profile I made a little pun that nobody minded or even knew.

You could call yourself Bridgit, if you like. There is a chinese lady on an album with her husband playing Irish music in grand style. Album names are Michael and Bridgit, and they play live with many friends at Eddie’s, in Feakle on Wed. nights when they are in town.

take a wild guess….

Well, we know now Whistle Bare. I knew there had to be some ‘interesting’ reasons. Can’t imagine playing here in Britain ‘bare’, at least not at the moment.

Whatever happened to fiddler on vermouth by the way? She (I think she) hasn’t been here for a while. Great pun!

I took the first letters of my last name splitting the umlaut of course. I’ve been using it as my author’s name tag since I started writing for the local paper 15 years ago. My first name Almut is rather useless on the net because it always gets mistaken for a man’s name.

Posted by .

I don’t remember the reason that led me to choose this bizarre name.

No?

It’s a very unusual name…especially here in East Anglia England!

Tell us more Gian.

I had a student with a very southern accent , who couldn’t say Jennifer - it came out Jenthur , which stuck at that school because Jenny and Jen are off limits (my rule).

But why that came out when I was doing the choosing?

My grandfather hated the name Jenny. He said a Jenny was a mule, an old lady or a bad girl and used to rehearse me how to politely correct those who used it. Of course, that was back when I had to spell the name Jennifer to everyone, believe it or not.

Jennifer

outdoor temperature. -21 C now, -27 C tomorrow. Present windchill -31 C.
mairtin

I was given the nickname clunk a long time age and it stuck - he is the inventor in the cartoon wacky races, the one with Dick Dasterdly and Mutly. Clunk was already taken so I put 999 on the end cos I now work for the ambulance service.

My name is Andrea. But everyone calls me Andee, and eventually even those who knew me as Andrea to begin with. My parents spelled it with the "ee" when I was a baby, so that’s how I spell it as opposed to the more common "i" or "ie" (like Andie Mac
Dowel).

One thing that bugs me is when after I tell some people my name, they insist on pronouncing it Ondrea with a fake English accent sort of thing. Or On-dray-uh. That *really* bugs me. ‘Specially when I told them to call me Andee.

Posted by .

My parents chose my online name, many years ago, way before the net even existed. Very prescient of them, eh?

Posted .

LOL

my name luska (pronounced looshka- short oo) made up my boyfriend from the choices given to him. my original name is pavlina, but because of riches of czech language everybody has a few options to their names. so i can be also pavlina, pavlinka, pavlinecka, paja, pavlusa and pavluska (it depends on in what mood or relation ship the person, talking to me is). mark liked the most the and of pavluska (pavlooshka) so i’m luska. howgh ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

There’s two parts of my name and I resemble both. My real name is Steve.

Have a FUZZY face and play the concerTINA

Everybody called me Brian the Flute when I started playing, I even got mail addressed to Brian the Flute! So, when I got my first hotmail address, and it was going free, I claimed it.
Makes sense to use it here, since the flute is permanently attached to my body.
Bx

When I got my first internet access account I was frustrated that all my choices for user name had already been taken, so I typed in these random letters. I pronounce it "jooz-gax", and it has stuck ever since. I like the combination of those rare Scrabble consonants.

jaysus, mairtin! and i be gripin’ about the weather here in chicago? i guess i’ll just shut my trap now….

Funnily enough, I didn’t take my name from the MI6 quartermaster, nor from Jean Luc’s morally ambiguous buddy.

When I first went online at varsity, about 10 years ago now, I chose the nickname ‘Quasi’ for some reason. Over the next year or two the other letters dropped off, leaving me fully consonant and unvowelled.

Posted by .

Mi mammy chose mine

Posted .

Told this elsewhere - can’t remember why.

It goes back to being stopped at a road junction beside a poster advertising the comeback of a 70s pseudo rocknroll band.

I sang the song, and my daughter - then about 14 - renamed me Showaddydaddy

When my daughter was in Ecuador for a year I needed a hotmail account so I could be in touch with her from anywhere in the world, there are already a squillion people called David registered on there, and would you believe it? there’s already someone registered as showaddydaddy. The spanish influence of Ecuador led to showaddydadito.

I hope it means "beloved, occasionally rocknroll singing, little father", but it probably means "go stick your head in a donkey".

I thought of calling myself Will Harmon, but someone had already chosen that.

Dave

When I got my first web account back in the 80s, there weren’t a lot of females on the net, so I took a male name to avoid being hassled. As thinking up names was not a strong point, I simply took the name of my cat ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
Morgana (a.k.a. Ptollemy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Right. That’s it. I’m going to change mine. As from next post. Hrmphhhh! If everyone else is doing it, so will I!!!!!

Jim

There. I did it. Told you I would. Just like I said. See?

Jim

Ha Ha Jim! That’s cute, but no one will know you are a man….The idea occurred to me to change mine to a similarly cute name as well—Raggedy Andee. What do you guys think? ;o)

Posted by .

I got my name from the milkman but everyone else calls me Listen Stupid.

I actually was going to use Q here- I started using QSM many years ago, then vowels were added and it became Quisim, and then i just dropped them all and have been just Q for a couple of years.. but it was all taken like so i decided to use Cri’ - because Crisanta Anna is just too long >

Posted by .

Since I am an opinionated person and since I squawk my opinions loud and long for all to hear, and because this is a very small community worldwide, I consider that I should use my real name online, because one of the many things I can’t stand (I know it *so* surprises everyone to find out there’s things I can’t stand) is someone who climbs on online forums, says opinionated/controversial/mean/offensive/argumentative/whatever things, and hides behind a pseudonym. I consider it cowardly and tend to discount those opinions somewhat automatically. *grin*

I use my real name too but I am a little reluctant to give my surname as it isn’t the most common. Although I’ve nothing to hide and there are probably many people who know who I am anyway, I am a little apprehensive about giving out full details on these sites—I’m sure most of the people here are very nice, though. The letter "J" is simply the first letter of my surname which I use to distinguish myself from the millions of other "Johns" out there.

John

Zina - Well said Lass! - the other cowardly thing they do is to put nothing in their profiles, so you’re left with absolutely nothing to help you put together a helpful or coherent answer.

Dave

In my opinion, I’m not opinionated. However I am susceptible to guilt and so I’ll say may name is based on my surname - O’Neill.

Greg

Posted by .

I called myself after my hero, Mr. Beckham. My real name’s Ethelbert.

Thanks for the laughs everyone. I feel we might all know each other a little better for all this!!

I’ve learnt something about Czech names too (I think) luska.

Maybe we need a thread on profiles Dave. How about
‘What would you like to be in your profile?’ Well maybe not.

Really, though, Zina, if you don’t know the person, any name they choose might as well be a pseudonym. Puts me in mind of the old joke: "The Illiad and the Odyssey weren’t written by Homer, but by another man of the same name".

I guess, though, that analogy doesn’t entirely hold water if you’ve got references to other places on the web where you can cross reference and build up some kind of a better picture of the individual, but that’s not true of most people here. Just using the name you use in real life doesn’t really help in that respect. Even in real life, people can build up a veil of falsehood around themselves (think about the controversy surrounding Patrick O’Brian’s life, http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Musee/3740/Idler/vIIn5.html )

Having said that, I don’t use a pseudonym either, and have identified myself enough on this website that someone could find my home address if they tried…

Posted by .

Oh, Rog, I think largely that I could find out what I needed to know about just about anyone who posts and who plays out, one way or another, if I really wanted to.

Three things I’ve noted after being here so long, people pretending to know more than they do tend to give themselves away in certain key ways, players using pseudonyms can usually be tracked down once you’ve seen enough of their posts (don’t ask me how I know this, please) if they’ve given any kind of personal info at all, and you can generally find someone who knows any given poster here well enough to find out if they’re talking through their hat.

Besides, I’m not talking about various nicknames or first names or initials or names having to do with particular interests. There’s a certain kind of poster (and this is true across most e-forums of all sorts) who purposefully uses a pseudonym and goes out of their way to be unpleasant, thinking that they can do that unpleasant winding up thing or baiting of other people, and hide behind that anonymous name without any consequence to their reputations out in the meatspace community. (For instance, why do you think the person who was doing the Tanya Lee windup doesn’t want anyone to know who s/he is? Obviously they know we’re not going to exactly admire them for it.)

I happen to subscribe to the belief that, in real life, we’re all self-centered down underneath, and it’s only the pressure and expectations placed upon us by others that causes us to be able to be part of any society whatsoever by behaving in a manner consonant to that society. (I also believe that moderation in this is of course essential.) If we as a community (more or less) expect people to play nice, then they know that if they don’t, they’ll not be part of the community anymore. If we stop expecting people to play nice, then they won’t. That’s been shown to be true over and over again in situations simple and complicated.

Obviously, a pet peeve of mine, Rog! LOL Aw, ignore me, I do go on. *snort*

What’s funny is how easy it is to spot a regular here just by their language even if they change their screen name. When Jim became a boy named Sue, I didn’t miss a beat—it was so clearly Jim. Poor Danny could not disguise himself no matter how hard he tried. And Zina by any other name is still Zina.

Posted .

What’re you trying to say, Will? hehehe. Yes, all you’d have to do is check the number of posts, or count up how many words to a post…!

Actually, I think I ended up agreeing with you Zina… I guess on the net, a "pseudonym" is a name and an persona that you try to keep isolated from the rest of your real (or "e-") life, to stop people from being able to make a connection between the two. It’s an interesting area… I missed out on the Tanya Lee episode (apart from the one brief post recently).

Posted by .

It is interesting psychologically, isn’t it?

In another discussion I was just mistaken for a male. (It’s Ok Nick! ๐Ÿ™‚ )I think I’ll go specify in my profile that I am in fact female.

Posted by .

Mine is quite obviously a Gaelicised version of my real name - spelt wrongly, allegedly. However, a while back I felt the need to morph to shake off some hassle - so first I went underground and became Orpheus, but not quick enough for the likes of ZL and WH, who outed me after one post - hilarious!

Then I had a sex change and became Lisa Lane which in my native vernacular could be read as "leave me alone". After about a week or so of exploring my female side, I decided to take myself in hand (ahem) again, so now I’m back to old me again. I usually try & remember to sign off in my normal name to avoid (?) any confusion as I was once introduced to someone by a member here as Donal! - but nae worries,

Danny

As for mine, that’s "Mrs Addams" to you lot 8>)

(I do have long dark hair and the name is left over from a costume gig, first thing that came to mind when registering here. And it’s quick and easy to type, unlike showaddiddydiddydumdiddydadito or whatever the heck it is 8># … though it’s often mistaken for "Trish" which certainly isn’t my real name.)

Posted by .

In all countries not Scandinavian, Snorre looks like a nick, it being an old Norse name.

Erik Snorre Sch

Like Danny, I adopted a Gaelicised version of my real name (which is on my bio), but a few weeks ago, after that haiku competition I got rather taken by "fidicen", which is a Latin word meaning, broadly, a player of any stringed instrument. In Roman times this would have been a harpist or lyre player, and by extension, a fiddle player, guitarist etc. Btw, I don’t think "fiddle" is derived from "fidicen".

Trevor

Well observed Will, re Danny and I temporarily changing our session names. A bit like the undercover assassin who had his zip code embossed on every bullet………

Jim

Tenuously related to this name changing trend that some of us go through, from a thread way back - in my opinion one of the funniest - was when a young chap called Noah Treeman turned up and asked if it was ok to bring a sax into a session - that wasn’t the funny part - perfectly normal if somewhat naive question - but everyone suspected it was Will on a wind-up mission - to the extent that Conan worked out that Noah Treeman was in fact an anagram of antee-Harmon…well, anyway, I thought it was supremely hilarious:

https://thesession.org/discussions/1484/comments#comment24733

Danny.

Ha
Ha.
Ha.
:-|

That’s Martin O’Han to you, Mr. Mack-eye.
๐Ÿ™‚

Posted .

And that’s McCanny Die to you, Martin.

…well, not exactly an anagram, strictly speaking, but it is in spirit.

LOL — it *was* hilarious, especially since we told Noah that the first thing he should do was to take his sax right on over to Will’s session…*smirk* I still can’t get over that Con (if I may call him by his first syllable, since I’m embarassed to say that I still haven’t looked up the code for that a with the slanty thing) is so *much* smarter than the average, er, bull…

Funny, the only anagrams I can come up with that use all of Danny’s letters (from his real name) are "Neckie Malady" and "Icky, i.e., Anal Mad." Perhaps if we knew his middle name….
๐Ÿ™‚

Posted .

P.S. Dave - In Gaeilge, "Will Harmon" means "go stick your head in a donkey."

Posted .

Hey,

Is it my imagination or does Noah Treeman = Another Name?

Giggleewren.

My name becomes ever truer, temp today -39 C, windchill -55. Tomorrow’s forecast -42 and -60. Walked to the store today, bought ice cream, a lot harder by the time I got home. Slan.
mairtin

The middle name is Andrew - just to supply you with more fuel with which to burn my e-persona :~}