What’s the most haunting air/lament you know?

What’s the most haunting air/lament you know?

I’m looking for a haunting traditional fiddle air/tune/lament (NOT a song), to record with a song, and would welcome any ideas (preferably with a link to a rendition of it).

A bonus would be if mermaid/seal/selchie/sea is in the title! but not essential…

Many thanks
Sue

Re: What’s the most haunting air/lament you know?

Leaving Lerwick Harbour isn’t a tradional tune, it was written by Willie Hunter - which is not to say that it’s not a good tune.

Suigan. I believe it’s a Welsh air. We played it in my pipe band a few years ago. Very nice. We are currently playing one named the Unknown Air.

Suo Gân. It just means lullaby.

Posted by .

What’s the song?

Posted by .

I vote for "Cape Clear"

Sliabh Geal gCua.

It’s not a complicated tune. I play it slow and with only a little ornamentation and it just yearns out of the fiddle. It’s supposedly a lament of an exile from Decies in Co Wexford for the mountain gCua that he loves. When my fiddle plays it, you really miss that mountain.

Without words….hmmm… that makes it more difficult, as many of my favorite tunes have had words affixed at some time or another. Mrs. Jameson’s Favorite is one I like, but more pretty than haunting.
Inisheer is a wonderful tune, written about an island, but is unfortunately recently composed.

Thanks so much everyone, for all suggestions so far - keep them coming! I plan to make some time over the weekend to listen to them…

Ben - it’s a song I wrote, with sad lyrics/feel, but its melody works best a little upbeat. Hoping to have a fiddler play on it, and I think it’ll work well for the fiddle to then slow into a separate air/lament…

The Coulin

Hands down the most beautiful air I’ve ever heard.

Played it tonight at a session, and the whole place fell silent, its magical.

One of my own favourites is ‘Marbhna Luiminigh’/’The Lament for Limerick’ which I believe is to be found in the Tunes section. It’s a very sad air with great historical resonance.

Nathanial Gow’s Lament to the Death of his Brother is very haunting and very beautiful!!

Gloomy Winter’s Noo Awa………..played slowly

Beautiful!

Mary

Fill the Glass

Pulls my heartstrings right out of their sockets.

"Bessie The Beauty Of Rossinare Hill" - O’Connor makes his
fiddle sound like a chanter in this recording. It looks like you
can a sample of it here:

http://www.gerryoconnor.net/journeyman.html

This list merely skims the surface of a very deep pool of culture about which I know little; only I adore these tunes and I think you will too. "By The River Of Gems," or "I Am Asleep, Do Not Wake Me" or the one that is the Irish for "Lord Mayo," or "Were You At The Rock?," or "The Beloved Hired Man," are this piper’s favorites. Sorry, but I don’t know their Irish names.

Well, if you want a connection to the sea, Kenny’s suggestion of Port na bPúcaí is pretty good - get a hold of ‘The Poet & The Piper’ recording - Seamus Heaney and Liam O’Flynn to learn why. Otherwise maybe Amhrán na Leabhar, supposedly composed about books (heritage) lost in a ship wreck. You could also play the jig, Out on the Ocean, real nice and slow ala Martin Hayes. That should do.

Posted .

Haunting ailment? well now let’s see there’s…………………

Ailimentary, my dear mcknowall! 😉

@Wounded, isn’t "The Fairy Wind" connected with the Blasket Island, and particularly with a fiddler from there? Come in, Springfield MA. Do you read me? Blasket descendents, am I on the right track?

Looked up the commentary — which I should have done in the first place — and got most of the answer. The fiddler has a name though.

Lamentably, this is not an elementary air/llament…
(r e a d s l o w e r, mcknowall, and preferably after coming home from the Kyogle pub.)

What is "haunting"? …and what is haunting to one might be fairly cursory to the next. The op sounds like she would be fairly haunted by port na bucai (get the spelling correct), it should be you tubed by now somewhere.

Skull, would something like "Anach Cuain" be more to your taste? Too tame? There are a bunch of airs that can almost make the listener’s hair stand up straight on the head. And it’s only music…

OP, "The Sea Maid" is a lovely air, though not exactly a spine tingler.

Caoineadh Bean Ui Chiarrai (The Kerry Woman’s Lament) would tick several boxes : spine tingling( in more than one way), nautical theme and all that..

Posted .

"Get the spelling correct……"?

"Port na bPuchai" - Tommy Peoples : Comhaltas CL13
"Port na bPucai" - Sean Potts & Paddy Moloney - "Tin Whistles" : Claddagh CC15
"Port na bPucai" - Seamus Tansey -"Sligo Ceili" : Outlet SOLP 1022
"Port na bPucai" - Tony McMahon - "I gCnoc na Grai" : Gael Linn CEFCD 114
"Port na bPucai" - Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill - "Live In Seattle" : Green Linnet GLCD 1195

Posted by .

the way Cillian Vallely is playing Port na bPucai there
requires, if I may be so bold as to say…a feeling, if not a knowledge of Irish language.
What a gem.

Try The Beauties of Autumn.

https://thesession.org/tunes/4553

If you understand some of the more classical musical terms, I’d say play it at about Andante, and piu espressivo.

Oh wait, my bad, not piu espressivo, but molto espressivo.

I love Bovaglie’s Plaid. Grave and haunting. Just beautiful.

The old chestnut "Hector the Hero" always gets to me. Perhaps because a part of the tune sounds quite like "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" from Cabaret. That’s definitely chilling enough…..

For Ireland I’d not tell her name is a beautiful and moving air. The Boys of the Lough do a great setting of it.

fishermans song for atrtacting seals, or the great silkie of sule skerry

The Wild Hills o’Wannies (feel free to correct my spelling)

hard to beat caoineadh an spailpin from the album playboy of the western world by sean o riada and ceoltoiri chualann 1962. magnificent long bass accordion notes from eamon de buitlear make you think of the ebb and flow of the tide and wonerful tin whistle from sean potts, joined by paddy moloney, to be added to by fiddler martin fay, lay down the air from Kerry. Beautiful arrangement…so simple and moving.