HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY to thesession.org!

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY to thesession.org!

The very first discussion posted on this website in its current incarnation was dated 3rd June, 2001 https://thesession.org/discussions/1. 10 years later, here we are! Thanks to Jeremy for persevering with it and putting up with us. Thanks to everyone I’ve met or got to know through this website. Here’s to the next 10 years…

Re: HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY to thesession.org!

yay! happy 10th bday! 🙂

Hope it get’s another 0 on the end..

’ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ’

jim,,,

We should have a party. Who’s bringing the cyber-booze?

Has Tanya Lee Terohoshi sent an e-card?

More seriously,

Cheers to Jeremy for sticking with it and for keeping it what it is – cool and retro-internet and not pasting it with adverts and for all his efforts to keep discussion free and open while not letting things get too out of hand – a hard line to walk if there ever was one. And to all the old members who put up with all this BS year after year and haven’t yet given up. And the new ones who bring a fresh perspective and fresh rows. ;) To everyone who makes this little online “community” (can I use that word?) work in all its ups and downs.

There is even a Jig on the tune base called Happy Birthday. Now’s the time to dust it off and give it a blast.
Come in No58, your time’s up………….

Well done to Jeremy - this is a hugely valuable site and one of very few of its kind that is not commercial. It not only provides a much needed safety valve for the cranky ranting of some of the planet’s grumpiest occupants but much more importantly provides a fantastic resource for tunes, information and sharing views. As a newcomer to music over the last few years i’ve found it a terrific reference point. As for the retro look - it just wouldn’t be the same any other way. Míle buíochas as sár suíomh

Yes, a case of less is more or should that be more is less - God I don’t know but the place works well anyway - otherwise people wouldn’t bother coming here..

Posted .

Thanks to Jeremy, and thanks to all who have contributed a lot of good stuff over the years!

A day to feel good. There is a party on tonight anyway. And cheers to all who have helped.

Posted by .

Wow! I hadn’t even noticed. I’m really quite touched by this.

Thank you very much everyone.

I also know this site could be so much better—I really do plan to update it’s functionality properly soon.

Thank you all for bearing with me. I appreciate your patience.

> I really do plan to update it’s functionality properly soon.

As an irish traddie and a web designer, you have no idea how excited this is making me feel right now.

It’s know it can only be oarsum.

Well done Jeremy

It’s part of the daily ritual. And Herself says it keeps me off the street and out of trouble 😉

Sto Lat!

Amazing! Happy birthday dear session.org … the time has flown. Thank you Jeremy. Here’s to another 10 years … yay!

Happy birthday - and thank you Jeremy!

Thank you Jeremy!

Don’t change it too much. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Thanks also to all those who have taken the time to
comment, explain and hash out issues. It has only made us better!

Mary

it certainly is a valuable resource, but more
than the nuts and bolts of tunes and raw information that you could probably not ever find outside of the internet, in your own local area, unless you were very fortunate, there is a developmental aspect to this site which comes from simple immersion in what can probably be termed the collectivity of conscious (or unconscious, or both) contributions, unfettered by differences between culture, language, etc, etc, things which might otherwise influence or hinder the transference of meaning and understanding. This sort of experiential opportunity by its nature will offer the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of contributions and clashes, but no matter what the nature of exchanges here…there is absolutely one thing that always happens…one learns, and one develops. It is just a brilliant site, and it is directly reflective of what people are like in the real world. It is just that here…they aren’t reticent or reserved. That’s the strength of the learning experience on the net.
Thanks, Jeremy, for your personal investment of your own time of your life and for the concerns and happiness that it has brought, you and all of us. No one else probably could have, or would have.

Just as well it’s based in Ireland. If it was based in the UK, the horrific range of educational and social assessments would even now be homing in on this ten-year-old youngling.

Early indications are that it is bilingual with a smattering of other languages, which would be advantageous to their economies if they actually had any economies left. (Australia is still rumoured to have one…) But its temperament is monomaniacal, which is not so good. It is just the sort of entity which might end up holding the balance of power in a coalition, and preventative measures will have to be taken now to sabotage this, like encouraging it to learn lots and lots of new tunes and drink lots and lots of alcohol. This may give rise to tremendous local problems but may also lessen its capacity or indeed desire to take over the world. Sometimes one just has to avert a major disaster by imposing the lesser one of a fire-break.

Signs of incipient or inherent psychopathy are arguably present, but they are in everyone, so what the hell.

Viewing choices incline towards the bizarre, and are a cause for concern.

The case study continues…

“Just as well it’s based in Ireland. If it was based in the UK, the horrific range of educational and social assessments would even now be homing in on this ten-year-old youngling.”

Er … but it *is* based in the UK. Or am i missing some joke or other? 😏

Well, it runs on a server in Oz so all’s relative.

Posted .

alcohol evolved…
so australians might not take over the world…why didn’t you know that?
see, you can even learn stuff from nicholas and prof; provided the letters aren’t moving around too much on the screen while you’re playing tunes. Where would we be without session.org?!

Cheers Jeremy! And thanks to all who contribute here!

Jeremy - what sorts of upgrades? Interested in input from us users? Like, oh, suggestions for alternatives to mustard? ;) You’ve got to keep that color scheme - makes identifying the site among a row of tabs easy, for one thing.

Thanks for all the effort put into the place over the years, too.

Alternatives to mustard??…

You can’t get rid of the mustard…

Jeremy,

Many thanks. I learned tunes using dots found here, talked to kindred spirits across the globe, met some nice folks, had many a laugh AND learned stuff.

I don’t know exactly what you set out to accomplish with this site, but any one of the above would have been good enough on its own.

Well done lad - and sincere thanks.

Happy Tenth, and well done!

No way. So how many hours have we collectively whiled away here? The mind boggles. 🙂

Jeremy your sight is a classic. I always check out your site over breakfast after The Guardian and Newshound.

If it weren’t for this site, and all the wonderful, sweet, mean, snarky, wise, knowledgable, people here, i would still be learning tunes from dots and MIDI files… or even worse… have given up fiddle.

*cross post* So thanks Jeremy for thinking about the rest of us enough to design a website as wonderful as this. I’m sure it has changed many, many, many of our musical lives for the better. I know it has changed mine.

Not much to add but “me too!” An fine job of managing to walk the lines and a real useful tool for everyone from the learner to the cantankerous know it all (of course this does not mean you Jeremy, nor of course anyone else out here ;)

Well, there’s a milestone! And how touching to hear all the Curmudgeons of Oz come over all emotional!
(Not you, Clear Drops, you’re the wrong gender for curmudgeon.)

Hoping to see you all in another ten.
And thank you, Jeremy.

Let me joint the zippydw’s “sto lat!”. This site allowed me to meet in meatspace some really great people, find some great recordings, get some great recordings from people living far away, learn a lot, and get some good verbal trampling from more knowledgeable users in my earlier membership years, when I didn’t know better than to open my mouth unasked. It also became a part of my daily routine since… seven years at least…

Although the Mustard Board has changed much over the years, what/who hasn’t? Jeremy, speaking for myself, you have created some real value. Thank you for that. Sto lat to you, too - you deserve it.

Harrumph! Harrumph! ….. I didn’t get a “harrumph” out of that guy!

Did someone suggest Birthday Badges? ….. We don’t need no stinking badges.

I think you’ll find it’s spelt “steenkeeng”

[sniff]

X:1
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
DD|E2D2G2|F4DD|E2D2A2|G4DD|d2B2G2|F2E2cc|B2G2A2|G4|]

Thanks to everybody who’s given advice, got good and heated about some issue, transcribed the tunes that I really wanted to find, and generally given me tiny glimpses of their own real lives and sessions. Brilliant! Over the last four years very few days have passed that I didn’t read something on the site.

Huge appreciation for your excellent and unassuming work, Jeremy. It’s a real and important thing you’ve done, mate, so cheers!

-Martin

All of the above….yes!! +1

Wow, howza bout dat? I turned 39 earlier this year, my eldest son is turning 12 in Decmber, my daughter just posted prom pictures…so, any other exciting news to make a fiddler feel even older?

…but seriously folks, thanks to everyone past, present and future for helping along our beloved musical tradition in this here virtual e-space. Much love and cheers to all!

“…so, any other exciting news to make a fiddler feel even older?”
yes…in another ten years you’ll be 49.
Then even your kids will think you are old.
Cheers.

the only good thing
about birthdays is if you keep having them.
…or so my great great great great grandfather used to say. Apparently.

Yes, Thanks Jeremy.
I miss a lot of the earlier names who no longer post but I still like to check this site out.
Tanya Lee Teraoshi has sent a card, John J, but ’tis a mystery.

Definitely.
And congratulations for putting up with all of us for all this time.

PS SWFL is just a kid. Wet behind the years. Wait till you have to attend the kids’ graduation does ( University grad does ). I’m the only one in my family without a degree now.

Wow, 10 years? We’re getting old! Cheers to ya Jeremy. May the Mustardia rise up to meet you,. and curmudgeons be ever at your back…

10 Years Young

A fine community, too.

Posted by .

More tunes, less talk 🙂

What a long strange trip it’s been. Don’t visit much anymore but was told not to miss the collective decade mark - hope for tunes in the future.

Thanks Jeremy …. for allowing me to meet Zina

Posted .

I’m indebted to this site - well not to the site as such, but the
people on it.

Just remember, Michael…YOU reminded me to whack you one. I’d forgotten I’d threatened it, completely!

Oops, sorry, I’m on Pete’s computer. It’s me, Zina. 🙂

Wow! Happy birthday! I had no idea, but it makes me realize how many years I’ve lurked around here… 🙂

Posted by .

Ha ha

Posted .

Happy Birthday to The Mustard! I didn’t know you as a baby, but I’m loving getting to know you now. Don’t change much as you grow up, please! This is such a lively forum.

Cheers Jeremy and thanks for your perseverence. I’ve found the site really useful, not least of all for getting advice on hardware (fiddle strings etc), and pointers from those whose advice (on this music) I respect - advice on playing the music itself, and pointers to some great players, and great CDs.

In my time here, one of the big changes is the increase in links to YouTube - the good ones are far, far more useful than any dots or midi files

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday thesession.org. I wasn’t there at the start but I still enjoy the site. Well done Jeremy and all the members who contributed greatly to it.

I’d be smaller for not also wishing you Happy Birthday. A truly useful contribution to my life and to my knowledge. Very classy too. Best wishes for you continued success. You can count on me to help.
Phil

Jeremy

Well done and Happy Bday to the MB

Indeed, not the first here but as the token Pole- Again Sto Lat!

Add me to the list of belated birthday wishes. Whatever else this place is it is a gathering of folks passionate about their art. And, despite the lumps along the way that is all to the good.

Thank you Jeremy for being willing to set this up and for attempting to herd us cats all this time.