ruffian’s rant

ruffian’s rant

i’m not sure how to ask this question in the tunes section, sorry, but i’ve been unable to find this tune, which i heard on an old elke baker recording, either here or on nigel gatherer’s website. does anyone know it, play it? i know it’s scottish, but only from its sound (must be a strathspey). and i’m not really asking for it to be included, just want to know more about it.
yes, i see the injunction against requesting tunes in this section, but it’s not strictly a request for the tune.

Re: ruffian’s rant

Some time ago I entered a tune here called Blackhall Rocks, a reworking of The Ruffian’s Rant as a medium-slow 3/4 air by Ged Foley when he was in the Battlefield Band. Here is the link:

https://thesession.org/tunes/6423

You might know enough about the long notes and short notes and snaps and things to turn it back into a strathspey or a schottische or whatever it originally was; I’m not sure I do! The original Ruffian’s Rant tune, incidentally, is to be found in the Charlton Memorial Tune Book, a collection geared really towards Northumbrian pipers but of course containing tunes playable on a variety of instruments.

Its earliest known form is as "Cog na Scalan" in the Macfarlan Manuscript, 1740.

thanks all!