Need Help.. (Bodhran)

Need Help.. (Bodhran)

well, looking for a new bodhran have one but looking to upgrade to a deeper rim.. looking at seamu o kane but any other suggestions.. budget around 180 to 220 euro…

Re: Need Help.. (Bodhran)

PS also wondering whats the best sort of stick?

Eamon Maguire, Belfast.

As for a stick, whatever suits ye.

Ha Ha Ha! Great to see traditional humour alive and well!. But seriously…

I’ve been playing a Seamus O’Kane bodhrán for several years in sessions and paid gigs, his older style with eight tuning blocks rather than his newer single-tensioning system. Recently needed some after-sales service which was excellent and generous. His son Diarmaid was also helpful and also makes excellent bodhráns, maybe better “finished” than his da’s. Been helping his da make bodhrán’s for many years and now making his own.

Best sort of stick is personal taste and style as others have said. I use three - a longish thin ebony (heavy) straight stick is my main tipper. But also use a double-ended trad style tipper with chamois leather covering the ends (adapted by me) for some tunes, and a home-made brush-type tipper made of several lengths of very thin dowel bound together. Again, better suited to some tunes and good for a bit of variety in sound.

Traditionalist jokers may be amused to hear recent maintainance on bodhrán involved the use of a penknife.

\())

As said - S. O’Kane, Eamon Maguire, Brendan White are good bets, I have the two former, the Maguire one for 17 years so i can vouch for them. Have a Brendan White in the mail. : )
as for sticks you’re on your own.. Took me a couple of years to find “my” stick (type)

A deeper rim’s not necessarily an upgrade in itself, IMO.

Your choice? Maguire or O’Kane. Very different animals, though, in terms of character.

As for sticks, how long you bin playing? You should probably have settled on something you like by the time you’re thinking of getting a £200 drum. There’s no “best thing” - use whatever suits you. Either that, or have a bunch of different shapes n sizes; split ends, hot rods, brushes, etc.

Hey there raff2011!
I agree with the others though I myself play a deep rim bodhran from Paraic Mc Neela. If your interested go to:

www.IrishMusic.com or
his mobile is 087 256 9672 or
E-mail: info@irishmusic.com

He’s in Dublin though so if you want one (they are all hand made) maybe post would be best.

As for the beater/stick use one that you feel comfortable with. I have three that I use a lot; I have one with the slits at one end (up the ball part to halfway roughly) for jigs/reels that has a nice sort of clicky effect for if I don’t want to play the rim, one thin one with some kind of metal inside it for a deep bang when I do intro/outro and lastly I have one i made myself out of 10 or so cocktale sticks which I masked together in the middle for any barndances or similar ’cause it gives a nice light sort of noise- you can get professional ones though if that doesn’t appeal whgich look much nicer (don’t forget to trim the edges off the cocktale sticks though if making yourself as bodhran would be screwed.

Check out Robs stuff at Metloef.com

Really great bodhrans…

Agree with seaniemcg above but email him. His website is not updated with some of his newer bodhrans which are extraordinary. I can safely say that these are the best bodhrans on the Market and I’ve gone through a lot of bodhrans :D

Seanie, is Meatloaf making bodhráns now?

To the OP, or anyone else seeking opinions about good quality bodhrans/flutes/boxes/whatever is that a lot of people will be prepared to say X are the best available, and they can’t all be right.
With drums, whether it be Metloef, O‘Kane, Hedwitschak, whatever, the opinions as to “the best available” differ from person to person. What I like won’t be the same as Walnut Box or Bodhran Bliss likes. While you’ll almost certainly not be disappointed with any of the reputable makers’ stuff, you’ve really got to get out there and try them. Don’t take “the best available” at face value is all I’m saying. I’m not denigrating anyone’s opinion.
m.d.

I saw some wonderful drums in that famous music shop in Galway last year and helped pick one out for a visitor from the US of A.

So there are good drums all over the place, the price sometimes worries me.

I’m not wiling to comment on what might be a “best” stick, but I’m rather pleased with the sticks I’ve made from fiddle bows.

Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to try both; Can anyone explain the difference between Seamus or Diarmaid O’Kane’s and Eamon Maguire’s bodhrans? Any info is appreciated.

thanks lads 4 all the info. I hav decided to go with style b from diarmaid o kane.

I believe Seamus used a double skin, from skins which would be on a lambeg drum.

They always seemed a bit loose for me those I have played but I never actual;ly owned one.

Top class drums however.

Maguire will make you an excellent drum, cost about £140 with a tuner.

thanks lads 4 all the info. I hav decided to go with style b from diarmaid o kane.

# Posted on June 18th 2011 by raff2011

Looks nice, however *I need a cross bar to “rest” my hand on……

Seamus O’Kane

Nice choice, raff.

Just a couple of points to bb - Diarmaid will build in a crossbar at no extra charge, and Seamus’s drums aren’t double-skinned though you’re right about lambeg drum style skins.

\())