What would you LIKE to put in your profile?

What would you LIKE to put in your profile?

Thought about this and decided that I’d like to put that I’m a kind of ITM playing Paganini?
Then I thought no? A Kevin Burke alike?
NO.
A Martin Hayes aholic?
That I’ve played fiddle since I was 5 months old and know 7000 tunes and that I learn 50 a week…oops sorry a day!
I absorb tunes through the ether and never have to practise.

Actually, I’m very happy being me and just loving listening to all those ‘virtuosos’ and dreaming of being able to play that or this tune! (Especially last night when I played a tune I’ve just learnt and everyone enjoyed themselves listening of joining in!)

Without the dreams, where’d we be?

What kind of dreams do you have?

Re: What would you LIKE to put in your profile?

dirty ones.

…..of course by which i mean to attain the unattainable, reach the unreachable and play like john doherty on speed.

Oh Nick, please—Be serious will ya?

Posted by .

Hey Nick sorry about that—don’t know what I was thinking, I think I confused you with someone else—don’t be serious—be your fun loving self…. 🙂

Posted by .

Actually Susie-Lee my dreams have been really powerful lately. For me I find when I treat them as a reality (as opposed to "just a dream") I actually am finding I get there eventually.

Posted by .

I don’t think I could ever top what Will wrote for my profile, so that’s why I put that there. I wouldn’t *mind* being able to put in my profile that I’m actually somebody like Liz Carroll or Verena Commins or such winding everyone up by making me up, but I’m stuck with just being me, so I guess I’d better like that…

Andee, just looked at your profile. It’s really good to put a face to a name.

Be great to see other faces too.

Andee, are you the one with the beard or without? That is an amazing beard if so. Can you keep your harp in there?

Nick, I’m the female one—and no beard thank God

Posted by .

Susie-Lee we recently had a discussion on just that—lots of people put in links to band websites, etc. so we could all have a look at each other. Max (Fiddlemax) has got loads of links to pictures on his profile, too.

Posted by .

You know I must be having serious brain trouble today. I think I was confusing fiddlemax with someone else. I’ll just get off-line right now and come back when I can utilize my brain. :o(

Posted by .

Max is fiddleCRAZY, and Massimo is fiddlemax…! 🙂

Right—got it now—I *meant* to say fiddlecrazy who is also Max.

Posted by .

Oh hi Zina—we posted at the same time…

Posted by .

Heh. Yup — confusing, yes. But not limited to e-life. My first married name was Zina Lee Armstrong, and guess what! There’s another Zina Lee Armstrong in Denver, and naturally she owed everyone money. 🙂 Poor thing. I hope her life is better now, she had quite the run of trouble there for a while.

A devastatingly handsome rogue with a scintillating wit, I won senior Fleadh titles in Fiddle, Flute, Box, and Pipes, at age 15. I know all the tunes in O’Niell’s and all the other major collections. Despite this I am widely recognised as a cultured, refined and noble gentleman. Have always played and recorded as a solo artiste, but have always remained well within the tradition, believing being in a group or straying outside as compromising. My compositions are many and widely played and recorded. My concerts are always sell-outs. Been known to partake in many a session but never seen to be inebriated. My advice and counsel are widely sought, my admirers are many but I shun the limelight…….

….the reality is, of course, sadly, very very different!

Still, maybe in a future life…

:~}

danny

Well, as I said to Jack, what about the truth?
The TRUTH? You can’t stand the TRUTH, he bellowed.
And, truth to tell, I’ve been lying ever since.
Slan go foill.
mairtin

My name is Gian Marco I’m a flute teacher.
Among my students there are a lot of famous flute player, as Matt Molloy, Kevin Crawford, Conal O’Grada, Michael McGoldrick and many others.
I’d like have more time to devote to teaching, but I too busy in concerts all around the world.

Sorry Andee!!!!!!! However, i do think a fine beard would suit you.

Hey Nick, it’s cool. A natural mistake to make. 🙂

Posted by .

Hi! It’s 6.30am Tasie time, 27th Jan and I’ve just read all this! Great fun way to start the day! Thanks! Bx
Might consider a profile of myself….

Hi. My name is Grego. I am the recipient of a life-long ITM scholarship that allows me to live in relative luxury and practice tunes for eight hours a day. This is in preparation for my nightly trad session which has been visited by a string of guest performers, including Mick Moloney, Paul Brady, Donal Lunny, Tommy Peoples, Kevin Burke, Kieran Hanrahan, Liam Og O’Floinn, and a group of excellent musicians called "Na Connerys" whose names I’ve forgotten, but who all complimented me on my masterful playing ability. I am flown to Ireland six times a year at government expense to review the state of the Irish music scene, and to sample and comment on the state of ales and stouts which are provided on a complimentary basis. My winter home is in the Bahamas, and I divide my summer between beach properties in Florida, California, and the French Riviera.

Posted by .

Nick …

Totally off-thread, and purely in a spirit of mischief…

It has previously been established that the only adjective which may be used to qualify a beard here in thesession is "magnificent". (And, incidentally, the only thing which one may do to the manginificent beard is "stroke" (and then only when singing).)

See https://thesession.org/discussions/2735

In addition to be being the greatest exponent of the uilleann pipes since Seamus Ennis, I am also the mostly benevolent dictator of a central american country with a bustling tourist economy and huge swathes of unspoiled rain forest that keep my pipe reeds in happy playing condition. In my country Bodhran smuggling and playing is punishable by firing squad unless you can obtain a visa. All of the best players in the world are only too happy to vacation at the presidential hacienda, where they are treated like royalty, although there was the regrettable incident when some of my hired thugs accidentally roughed up Frankie Gavin. Francisco, mi amigo, say the word and I’ll have their heads on spikes!

‘tis quite right. the beard in question is maginficent. i may even go so far as to say "sultry"….

I’d *like* to be able to put, "has managed to prevent The Joys Of Being A Grown-Up steam-rollering the musical dreams of childhood completely flat."

Some days it’s a near thing. *sigh*

Posted by .

Hey Im Johnathan and I have mastered the Uilleann pipes, fiddle, harp,timpian,flute,tin whistle, banjo, and the bodhran when I was a wee lad of 7 and a half months. I came from a strong Irish family who also played 70 insturments a peice. My Grandfather was a composer and wrote an average of 40 tunes per day. I have him to look up to. I am great friends with The Chieftains, Planxty, Cherish The Ladies, Altan, and Danu. We hold sessions at my house in County Wicklow every Saturday where the Gunniess pours like rain. Lots of people look at me and get very discoureged because they say, "Johnathan, I know I can never be as great as you are." And I look them dead in the eye and say "No, no you sure can’t." I am quite possibly the most influential player ever to come out of Ireland. *even though I was born in America, the general public doesn’t have to know that!* I also make harps, uilleann pipes, and fiddles in my spair time and I have a wait list of a decade. In my lesiure time I enjoying giving extemperanous concerts to school childern who are in awe of my playing abilities. I am currently working on playing two sets of Uilleann pipes at once. Oh well, I suppose I’ll learn how do to that over the weekend. Cheers!

The most flattering profile I can dream of is when, though you have sent no profile at all to the list, your name is mentioned in all the rest of the profiles. For example:

Will Harmon
…I have a deep knowledge of all the techniques and tricks a good fiddler must know, because I was taught by this bald, fat, eyeglassed Italian guy…

NickPhelan
… I wish I could attain the unattainable, reach the unreachable and play like Luigi on speed…

Marco
…wehn I meat ihm in Lisbon we had a lot full of entertaining seshion, he is a great fiddler but I am still sad, you know, NO GRIL…

Nick (or Mick, or Michael)
.. and I told him "Do you think I am a cynical git?…"

A roman nose

Posted .

Ha ha Michael! 😀

Nick, I will tell Joey that you think his beard is magnificent. I doubt he could put my harp in there however as you suggested. Not even my smaller one. By the word harp, you didn’t think I actually meant harmonica did you? Let’s get *serious* now! 😀

Posted by .

Ah Andee, but maybe you could hide your harp underneath your other friend’s hat? :>))

Ha Ha ! 😀

Posted by .

Profile: Six foot four in stockinged feet, 20:20 vision, built like a prize bull, mane of luxuriant shaggy hair, visage reminiscent of a young Gregory Peck. Can play the spoons.

Any takers?

Con

Sure, I’ll take you on Con

So the spoons bit didn’t put you off then? And you believed the rest? Actually, I made up the bit about the spoons too :

Nah, didn’t believe a word of it, but if you want to go w/ the black leather pants….. Dig away!

LOL — Con

Any sessions? I’m a Dubliner returned after 21 years abroad. I’ve played and recorded bodhran with a number bands over the years but longed to get back to Ireland for the oul’ pub sessions I played in in the 70’s. Horror! many pub "sessions" in Dublin are now paid "gigs" disguised as sessions to cater for our tourists and as often as not, new faces are not so welcome as they were in times of yore. The guitar has taken the place of the bodhran which is considered non grata. I like guitar too but ..
Help! Where can I find an OPEN session where bodhran is welcome? (smirk)

Having read some of your posts,I rather feel that I’ve not been ambitious enough especially on the fame and being a multi, no multi-multi instrumentalist!

I’d love to say I could play the uilean pipes, the harp, bouzouki, mando, cello, oboe, clarinet, alto sax, soprano sax and still find time to conduct the world folk orchestra on my days off from teaching awe struck youngsters about the Music tradition.

The ego is deflated again!

Thanks Andee for the photo info. (I knew who you were..don’t worry) It’s ok if you’re in a band and have a website…but some of us don’t. And I know it’s been mooted that Jeremy could think about a gallery side to members profiles. Would be an eye opener on those magnificent beards!!

I suppose I ought to add into my profile the fact that I have had a magnificent beard since I was 15.

In fact I’ll go and do it now.

Dave

I bet Con

Con

Well have a look at the subject of this thread and you’ll get the idea David :

Aidan

Posted by .

Nell … now you’ve started an interesting line of discussion there. The two-tone individual. Having been possessed in my youth of a head of dark hair, now as I approach full-blown adulthood (which begins about 40, so I’m told) greying and thinning, when I started to apply the razor with less vigour at some point in my late twenties, to my surpise the MB turned out to be a ginger yoke! Now itself possessed of a liberal amount of grey! Sadly the B is less M of late than it has been as I took the shears to it the other night … all manner of creatures, human as well as animal, were nesting, hiding from the law, on retreat, etc. in its warm and cosy abundant magnificence. The missus and myself gathered up the trimmings which make great, cheap loft insulation! We stuffed a few flour bags with the leftovers after we’d insulated the attic and now we have a couple of put-me-up mattresses for when we have guests to stay!

And, needless to say, there’s not one word of lie in the foregoing!

Why do so many folky and traddy men wear beards? Or is it a generational thing? Or a climate thing?

I sometimes do, but it’s a raggedy, scratchy-patch affair, and doesn’t work unless my hair is long, wild and woolly (shaven headed at the moment, btw), and it gets quite unbearable (an unbeardable) during our horrendous summers.

Posted by .

A Reason For The Mb …

Many folky and traddy types are heavy drinkers. Heavy drinkers often require a cure the next day to calm the nerves, sort the guts out, extinguish the fire in the head, etc. However one can’t always guarantee that the grog shop, shebeen, whatever will be open as you rise to greet the day. The advantage of the MB is that during the drinking of the night before a certain amount of seepage becomes trapped in the luxuriant growth. Upon waking, heavy-lidded, sandpaper-tongued, palpitating and sweating, the owner of the MB need simply provide an appropriate receptacle (glass, cup, mug, bucket, tin bath, what-have-you) and wring his MB out into said container. Forth will issue a copious quantity of liquor and - when drained - the symptoms of the hangover will disappear leaving the owner of the MB to sally onwards, light of heart and bushy of tail, while the MB-free shake, perspire and suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous rakishness until the pubs open!

I must re-read Roald Dahl’s ‘The Twits’.

Posted by .

the REAL question about facial hair is "Why do shavers feel the need to cut off this natural feature"

Why don’t they also shave their heads? or their genitalia? whats wrong with having hair growing on your lower face, if its alright growing on your scalp?

What is wrong with these people?

Dave the Magnificently Bearded

Personally, I prefer my men (okay, so I’m only allowed one at a time) clean-shaven. Not that this has ever stopped my husband, who always sports some form of facial hair of some sort. Beards, frankly, are scratchy, especially when they’ve just been trimmed, and they take a lot of work to qualify as "kempt"..

Dave, I believe it has something to do with the same reason many men like to look at nubile young girls, even though they have 1) no experience at, um, most things, 2) are generally less mature than a woman of legal age and over, and 3) would mean pretty much a hefty legal penalty if a man actually touched them. It’s the same reason that women seem to have to be 20 pounds underweight and shave all the hair off their legs in order to be societally beautiful. (This being here in the States, anyway.)

Youth, in our culture, is somehow better than maturity. I know this is based off the "the younger, the more likely to be fertile" but isn’t that a tad ridiculous these days? *snort*

Trimmed?

How do you mean, trimmed?

Dave

Why do so many folky and traddy men wear beards?

Of course, while my lengthy answer above is correct in every detail, the *real* reason is so that they have something *magnificent* to *stroke* while singing!

And, of course, there’s the equally valid Q&A …

Why do so many magnificently bearded men sing? So that they have a wonderful excuse to stroke their MB!

marvellous, i’ve got you all talking about it…

So, all this talk about beards - it IS something you’d like to put in your profile, as Susie originally asked, then, is it?

I had a beard as a student - looked like Kenny Everett - all I can say as an excuse is that my testosterone receptors are in other parts of my body.

Dan the Man.

I have been hailed by Matt Molloy as "the bold new voice of Irish flute." Kevin Crawford has said: "I have seen the future of Irish music, and his name is Whistleman."

I was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize after persuading the Crips and the Bloods to lay down their weapons and pick up flutes, whistles, fiddles and accordions. Having forsaken lives of violence and crime, the former gang rivals now meet regularly for massive sessions in Central Park. Unfortunately, my elementary school anti-drug program called "Put Away the Crack and Enjoy the Craic" was not as successful and actually may have done more harm than good.

People Magazine has dubbed me "the pied-piper of love" and The National Inquirer has linked me romantically to Jennifer Connelly, Jean Butler, Krista Allen, Liz Phair, and Mary Rafferty, while the Weekly World News has linked me romantically to Sasquatch, George Clooney, Janet Reno and Satan. All reputable news sources have proven that the Paris Hilton/Whistleman video was a fraud, so quit e-mailing me about it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail. I promise I will get back with you as soon as I get back from my Israeli/Palestinian Ceilidh Summit.

*splorf*

Posted by .

… may be a second instrument? a button box gave me that twinkle eye lately.

… may be the good news that I finally made it, quit my daily job and am able to make my living from "playing music - writing a book - ride horses - go for set dancing with my wife twice a week".

… may be, I moved to the west of Ireland - or more trad music related irish people moved here to my neighbourhood and give the opportunitys/calendar a remarkable lift an lilt…

the more I think about it the more I see future holds many fine opportunities for me, so check my profile once in a while!

@ aidan (and your special MB bearer natural hangover treatment): now I understand why the shaved ones double their splash of after shave certain mornings (or use too much of it every morning)…