Anyone in Clare seen a herd of goats?

Re: Anyone in Clare seen a herd of goats?

Excellent! I do hope the drum makers (if it is them!) also know how to make a decent curry goat, rice & peas! Mmmmm!

It must be Dana’s lot.

Only one thing left to do - arm the goats.

Not sure why you make a Clare connection.

Loads of feral goats in the Burren, I have come across very large herds on the mountains there, hundreds of them in some cases.

There were rumours of illegal culls and round up of animals and taking them away in lorries.

Posted .

poor goats

"Not sure why you make a Clare connection."

Because, Peter, the original story specifically mentioned Clare. It’s been amended since I posted the link.

Posted by .

I suspected as much. The past few winters have been hard on the goats but a few years ago farmers were playing up a bit. Thee were also rumours goats were being caught and transported to England to meet demand toward the end of Ramadan.

Posted .

This can lead only to one thing: packs of feral bodhrans loitering in pubs.

Clearly a campaign is needed to Save the Goats: Cull Bodhran Players.

😉

Posted .

I guess a bunch of angry Clare people emailed the editor.

Mmmmm…..curry.

Any chance that an annual migration to avoid the Great Tourist Influx has started?

Has anybody checked the Waterford Crystal Souvenir Shop? Are they now selling homemade stews and broths?

Presumably someone at the borders at least has a look inside vanloads of beasts leaving the country?

If so, there is surely a case for the problem youth of Ireland and, who knows, Britain and wherever else, to be armed with paintball guns and spend happy summers chasing feral goats through the whins of Ireland until every last goat is an intriguing fluorescent uniquely recognisable work of art. They’d love it. The youth, I mean. Probably not the goats.

But if not, not.

@ss: "I guess a bunch of angry Clare people emailed the editor"

Once they’re not busy playin’ the music, and bothered gettin’ angry, they might probably come straight here, not the editor, I suspect.

Poulaphuca and the wind and rain to yez!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owS-yzRDK6k

Altan…lovely…but a little one-sided. Probably.

Beware of bodhran players who suggest you go clubbing.

Should bodhrans now be marked as being from a ‘sustainable source’?
plant two goats for every goat taken?

Just beware of bodhran players in general, if their need to join a session with real players in it is fulfilled by battering a bit of dead goat skin stretched over some wood, occasionally in time with everyone else….
Shame for the poor goats. What did they do to deserve that?

Another possibility is that they have been written up in a lifestyle magazine as the new must-have pet for urbanites with a mild yearning for soothing contact with the natural world.

The article will have waxed lyrical about their unfussiness regarding food, going on to say that they will dutifully mow the lawn, trim the shrubs and leave ready-wrapped cheeses in the fridge. Their suitability for close companionship with the very young, the very old and the vulnerable, not to mention other pets, will have been hymned. To share a hearth-rug with them will have been made out to be the pinnacle of holistic life-affirming cosmic bliss, as one basks in the radiance of their gaze and their reassuring earthy fragrance.

This is not entirely inconceivable, especially if the writer of the article is not in reality the domestic goddess whose name appears with it, but the chap staking out the feral goats with a view to creating a market.

Those who took the goats left behind one puck and seven kids.
‘Exchange is no robbery’

Possibly gone to a Middle East theatre of war… for a blue movie…

Deep Goat

All the best

Brian x

Musically…

The Strayaway Kid,

The Kid on The Mountain

I’m sure I heard Shay Black sing a song, some many years ago now, called

The Peeler and The Goat

Brian x

brian you do realise ppl will start saying things if you put an ‘x’ after your name. I mean its alright for a girl but for a man/boy…

D’you think it’s a real story? I bet they’re just kidding!

I was wondering that myself Mark. Is somebody acting the goat?

It could just be a concerted effort to remedy Ireland’s reputation as a nanny state.

I thought it was a nunny state 🙂

But Raff2011, Brian is putting only one "x" after his name instead of three.
Maybe the goats were mistakenly abducted by aliens who thought the goats were the dominant life form on this planet.

Laurence

I think someone was going to get them to perform in a play. It worked right up until the goats were about to go on stage. The curtains opened, the play started, but when the goats were supposed to come on, nothing happened, and no one could work out where they’d got to.

A case of scene but not herd.

Where’s me billy club? Gonna getcha Mark Harmer! Groannnnn.

Maybe Madonna has adopted them. She may have put a few dollars in the right hands and simply been given a free hand to go and scoop them up.

That seems to be the way she operates.

Actually, if she did that the real Madonna might turn up and beat her up with a statue.

She’s probably like that.

Has nobody noticed that the Craiceann festival starts *next week*, and their motto on their website (http://www.craiceann.com/) is "Lock up your goats"

Coincidence? I think not.

I think it is very sad, the goats have probably been culled inhumanely.

Mark Harmer is just trying to PUNish us. "Scene but not herd"? Have you ever heard of the bluegrass band from Washington, D.C. who called themselves the "Seldom Scene"? Yes I heard them perform…..once

Laurence

All bodhran players that are suspectible for unfair play should, before banging their goats, be prepared to provide an official certificate to prove that their bodhran is not part of this (p)lot.

I’d just thought that I’d mention that over here in North London there was a wanted ad on the local recycle forum, somebody in the Holloway Road area wanting a bodhran and promising to find a good use for it.
Ah, the happy days when you could get one in exchange for a couple of pints of the black stuff off the Hornsey Road !

no goat sightings, but my sister and brother-in-law got engaged in clare when he took advantage of a forced stop on a mist-covered road appropriated by sheep to pull my sister out of the car and get down on one knee……

Awww… He go(a)t his girl!

My own last remembered encounter with feral goats was in Galloway, SW Scotland.

Somehow, I’d been given the impression that these were true children of the wild, leading unsullied lives at a great distance from man. To approach them at all one had to embark on a four-day belly crawl into the mountains, punishing oneself into a wraith as one sniffed promising droppings and amassed carbuncular encrustations of ticks. The most one might normally be vouchsafed was to see one or two of them scamper up a distant crag to be lost in the eternal mists where they consort with Merlin and Robert the Bruce.

I thought, this is not for me, as I drove along tree-infested Galloway jungle roads like a bug trying to forge its way through shagpile. I duly arrived at a picnic place. It was commanded by a hulking brood of caprines that eyed me evilly. It was Them. They had evidently concluded that soft-hearted or intimidated picnickers provided better pickings than bog-myrtle. I think they charged for sandwiches.

They’re after the butter.

Posted by .

Oh deer - that’s baaaad.

A baby goat ate my anorak when I was a kid. I don’t mean I was another baby goat, btw. Both these statements are true.

It was owned by a neighbouring family. I told the mum. "Hurrah!", she crowed, "It’s weaned!"

The goat’s mum, looking out of their living-room window every now and then like some disturbing manifestation, was one of the sights of Western Hill.

Plenty feral goats in the north of scotland. The flocks I know of can be found in a rough line from the hills of Kintail through glengarry side and across the Monadhliath mountains. Not sure if their range extends into the western edge of the cairngorms as I’ve only ever laid eyes on them eastwards of newtonmore.

These are the ancestors of the goats once held by the people cleared of the same land the goats still occupy today. Cattle were sold, usually by the owner, but many goats and sheep were just left they were being harder to gather in. Also many of the people who kept goats kept them because they had no tenure to the land they used and so couldn’t collect winter feed for cows. Squatters to the landlord, sub tenants to those with leasehold in the pre clearance landscape.

Shame these irish goats have been whacked and whats even worse is the press speculation that they’ll continue to be whacked, even in death.

Scots wild/feral goats get "controlled" also, but thats done by individual estates rather than by poaching (plenty other 4 legged wild animals that fetch a more handsome price for people to worry themselves about poaching goats). Still, the national trust just leave them alone as do landlords with a conscience or with no "sporting" interests.

Here’s a snap of a few, out of a small group of maybe 15-20, I came across on Hag’s Head. I had never seen goats before on the Cliffs of Moher and these guys were going up and down the cliff face like there was no tomorrow. Mind you, it was new year’s day and very windy.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/Kilfarboy/?action=view&current=Mohergoats.jpg

Posted .

We found some near the Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall in Dumfries and Galloway.

I’ve also seen them trying to get run over crossing the A87 in Glen Shiel. Makes a change from the usual kamikaze Glen Shiel deer.

I used to live on Lundy, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Bristol Channel.

It’s about 14 miles off the North Devon coast.

Lundy has a fascinating and rich history. Part of it alludes to the fact that sailors would leave a goat or two on the island as they went off elsewhere, so that when they returned there would be a supply of fresh milk and meat.

Over the centuries a quite magnificent bloodline has evolved, and those visitors walking about the island might see some of these beautiful creatures on the cliffs, some 400 feet above The Atlantic Ocean.

A few examples supplied

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYzb2CPgNk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJQWSZUgqg

There is very little in the way of trees on Lundy, due to the grazing from the goats.

Also Lundy boasts a flock of Soay sheep,which, I believe to be the second largest flock in Britain. These were introduced by previous owners of the island.

In my time out there we had some mighty sessions, with musicians travelling from all over, the British Isles, Europe, USA, Canada…lovely people, lovely music…

All the best

Brian x

"I’ve also seen them trying to get run over crossing the A87 in Glen Shiel. Makes a change from the usual kamikaze Glen Shiel deer." TSS

Got to be carful there at the moment. The goats at sheil are normally a winter road hazard. Since the great fire of Kintail a couple of months back the goats have stayed on the road, due to lack of grazing available on the hill. The hill face opposite the Sheil Shop has been burnt to the rock in places : < (

So that equals a double hazard in summer, especially on the very tight church corner between Sheil Bridge & and the Hotel. The goats are an obvious hazard but not so obvious are the daft tourists who’re quite happy to park on a blind bend to photograph them.

Nasty fatal road accident on skye a couple of weeks ago where tourists stopped over a blind summit to take photos, of what I don’t know. One of Clair MacDonald’s chefs returning to work ran straight into them on his motorbike, not even a skid mark, poor guy.

Haven’t been to Glen Shiel since the fire, but I was in Torridon (as you know) at the beginning of the month and the scale of the devastation there was impressive. It covers an entire side of Liathach, almost down to the village, stops just short of the campsite on that side, but further down the Kinlochewe road, it crosses the road.

I drive quite sensibly in the Highlands these days after a couple scary near misses of tourists stopped randomly in the middle of the road taking pictures. I was lucky that there was no one coming the other way so I could dive into the other lane.

Other scary moments usually involve people making stupid stupid passes of slow moving cars, lorries, and caravans.

Solidmahog - No, these are not the ancestors of the goats who….., they are the Descendants.
Baaah, humbug !

If it had been in Wales, it would have been called a leisure centre.