Lemons into Lemonade: Sessions in San Fran?

Lemons into Lemonade: Sessions in San Fran?

Hi everyone,
Good news: I got engaged to a lovely Corkman and traveled to San Fran today to celebrate (Cork-London-San Fran). Bad news: there is this new restriction to the US called ESTA that both of us were unaware of, and he got stuck in London (they wouldn’t allow him through customs). Ridiculously sad story, I’m stuck in San Fran for the next couple days on my lonesome :(

Turning lemons into lemonade, and to relieve my ridiculous loneliness, does anyone know any nice sessions in San Fran on Sundays?

(P.S. We flew Virgin Atlantic, I can’t help but think if we would have stayed true to Aerlingus this might have been adverted. I can’t believe we didn’t get a warning e-mail or anything).

Re: Lemons into Lemonade: Sessions in San Fran?

No offense, jcawley, but before the ESTA, he would have needed a Visa - a heck of a longer and more complex process than the ESTA.

Posted by .

On Sunday there is a session in Berkely at the Starry Plough in the evening and one in San Francisco at the Irish Times pub (in the afternoon). Monday is the Chieftain pub in SF, and Tuesday there is a session at the Plough and Stars.

Please call the pubs ahead of time. I was just out there a week or so ago, and those are the sessions I went to, but sometimes pubs cancel sessions for sports games (that happened when I was out there).

Posted by .

Get yourself over to The Plough and Stars pub on Clement St in San Francisco at 9pm Sunday for a session hosted by Marla Fibish. Also, if you’ve a car and feel like driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, there’s an afternoon session from 2-5pm in Fairfax at The Sleeping Lady Cafe.

No, it would not have been averted if you’d flown Aer Lingus, taken a ship, or used any other kosher mode of transport and border entry. Nor would the airline have emailed you, as every airline I have ever flown has a blurb in their terms and conditions which states that it’s your job to be aware of the border requirements of wherever you’re going.

Since 2007 or so (not exactly sure), US non-nationals visiting the States have been required to get an ESTA. My English boyfriend discovered that it takes about five minutes to fill the form out online. It’s really not a big deal. It was really widely publicized when it came out. That’s why it pays to keep track or double check of entry requirements of any country you (or your other half if he or she is not a citizen) are visiting.

There never was a payment in the simple Travel Without Visa regime, pre-ESTA.
It’s a racket to make money to fund unterrorism. Or something.

PS - Congrats on the engagement!