Favorite combos

Favorite combos

Hi there,
Just thought I would post a discussion on your favorite combos of instruments played together mainly duos …..

My favourite combo is without doubt, Flat pitch pipes and fiddle, played with a nice steady tempo as in Mick O’Brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh or Louise and Michelle Mulcahy, I absolutely love the way these instruments work together ….

Other combinations thay I like together are Fiddle Flute, Pipes Concertina, heaps of others but leave it at that …..

This thread has probably been done many times before but anyway, just wondering what are your favourite two instruments played together and why, maybe examples of players, recordings, video clips, etc…

Cheers

Re: Favorite combos

I’ve been playing cds of the Mulcahy family almost non-stop lately, and they were on this morning. One of my favourite duo cds is The Thing Itself (Maeve Donnelly and Peadar O’Loughlin)

Just about any pair, as long as they are played well, by people who mesh well with each other. Here are some Scots examples: FIddle and piano accordion, if it is played the way Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham play it, And even fiddle and cello, if it is played the way Alisdair Fraser and Natalie Hass play it.

@Piece "I now usually shop for CDs not by band or artist, but by number of tracks per disc, plus tunes per track. It lets me feel I am getting more music for my money."
Lol, if thats the case, check this album out (if you havent already) Loads of tunes and a mighty recording !!!
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/2014

Wow great youtube link, must check out there CD …

Piece, Given your stated taste in CDs, you would like the CDs that David Mallinson has put out to accompany his tune books. 100 tunes on each, each played just one time through with all the repeats. 😉

One of the things I like about this music is hearing combinations of instruments I hadn’t heard before and seeing how they compliment each other differently. That said, I currently just love the way the fiddle and the pipes sound together. The two instruments that couldn’t be much more different, yet they blend together surprisingly well.

/p.s.- I may have to get a copy of that album tealach posted.

An instrument in the hands and a full pint on the table in front of me, bought by someone else.

Tealach and Al:
Thank you, spot on both of you -
that is just the kind of CDs I now invest in.
(check out one tunelist CD called The Five Mile Chase, I do not recall the artist just now -but not bad stuff at all. As i recall, it goes thru all the tunes as: once thru slow, then once thru moderato)

I am always on the hunt for a new tune or a new setting of one (not that I am compacent with my current skill level on any of them, mind you). My collection of sheetmusic is more than one mortal could memorize in one lifetime, but, as always, the dots are just the dots. One always has to HEAR it to learn it to get it.

I have a load of grand performance stuff to listen to (the wife got me an Ipod!! YAY!!) so I can plug into all the retro I desire.
But for me, at least, what is new is always what was already old before I was whelped —-
an old fiddle, practiced hands, and the music makes you want to dance.

Kinda zen simple, eh?

Posted by .

Re: Favorite combos…

Mostly gin and tonic. Milk and Oreos. Coffee and apple tart.

I’m really fond of melodion & fiddle duet combos or groups that contain them as the main engine, especially the kind where the players are so tight you couldn’t get a fag paper between them.

Also meant to add that "Kelly O’Brien Sproule is a topper of an album. Thanks for reminding me tealach.

Certainly a great recording, and a great combo Solidmahog . banjo single row melodion, another good one .

Fiddle/Pipes or Fiddle/Flute or Whistle/Banjo for me!

fiddle + concertina

Oh yeah and whistle + bodhran is pretty neat sometimes.

No humping through joops

Not even Hula-joops?

I was listening to pipes and flute today and it didn’t seem to work at all well. They sort of hid each other, rather than complementing. Similarly with pipes and hammered dulcimer — they don’t go at all. I agree with Whiddler: whistle and bodhrán, and of course, flat pipes and fiddle.

Posted by .

fiddle amd piano. Then again, I’m slightly obsessed with Cape Breton music…

Hahaha, I guess the list is endless, Love Whistle/Fiddle, Banjo/Fiddle, Mando/Whistle sounds really nice together when there played well !

Concertina and pipes works beautifully on "Reed Only" -
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/2668

Fiddle plus anything

Flutes often do not play well with others, although it doesn’t
have to be that way. They tend to throw in ornaments that
break up the rhythmic groove set by the other players.
There’s an otherwise great recording that came out last year
that is a good example of this but I’m not going to name it here.

Paddy Carty on flute and Mick O’Connor on banjo is an unlikely combo, but magic.

Song + bodhrán can be magic/haunting
whistle/flute + bodhrán can be very nice too. Cue Frankie Gavin/Johnny McDonagh/Colm Murphy
I also wholeheartedly agree on flat pipes/fiddle.

Primrose Lass, I Could not agree more about Paddy Carty and Mick O’Conner Their album is amazing .
pennhorse I havent heard Liam Farrell and Joe Whelan but I think Box & Banjo is a choice combo, here is a great example by Angelina Carberry and Martin Quinn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8RZf_kFGY

I guess we could continue iterating through the possible combinations, but let’s cut to the chase: two players, each playing well on their own and each listening to the other, will always be a great combination.
(which lets out any combination involving a bodhran, doesn’t it?)

"which lets out any combination involving a bodhran, doesn’t it?"

Err.. no, not really. Unless you are unable to appreciate the likes of Christy Moore, Donal Lunny, Colm Murphy and Johnny McDonagh of course.

i simply ADORE Harp and Concertina. The feel of the music is very unique.

"two players, each playing well on their own and each listening to the other, will always be a great combination." Jon Kiparsky

Thats about the sum of it.