Starting a slow session

Starting a slow session

This is the situation: I’m living in Dresden, Germany. I started to play irish music (first on tin whistle, later on flute) some years ago while I was an Au-pair in Ireland. Since I’m back in Germany I mostly play on my own

Posted by .

Re: Starting a slow session

You could try making contact with players elsewhere in Germany - Berlin (I went to a couple of sessions there last week) or Munich, perhaps. You never know - they might have contacts in Dresden. Search the members page here at The Session. There could be a few traditional musicians hiding in the shadows, that don’t play out because there aren’t any sessions.

Good Luck.

Feel free to use our mp3s if you like, Irina! That’s what they’re out there for. (Though you should know that we removed most ornaments and played simpler settings for almost all of those, since we work with mainly beginners. You should definately get people to listen to recordings at full speed as much as possible!) Seems to me, though, that I’m always meeting German players – I know Germany is quite large, but are there *really* no other players around?

I am!

*innocent grin*

I just typed a reply and now it’s gone!
I think this is what I wrote:
Janek - aren’t you living in Warszawa? That’s supposed to be well worth a visit, isn’t it? (*innocent grin*).
Yup - I clearly remember that I wrote that. And I wrote something abut all those hiding players. I haven’t been able to find them yet. They are hiding very well. I tried a flyer in our local music libraty and ads in Dresden’s “where to go and what to do” magazine. I was very lucky to meet a fiddler that way and we play every now and again. But unfortunately that happens only once in a blue moon, like *sigh*!
We even have a pub in Dresden that hosts a session but even that does not attract any ITM players although that is what the landlord had in mind when he started it.
I hope that a learning session might draw some more players and eventually they’ll play in the pub and word will spread and there will be others….
We just have to get started.

Posted by .

Irina, it’s okay to start a learning session even if you’re not sure that you sound “Irish.” Just the fact that you’re aware of that means that you’re listening well. And that’s the most important part of a learning session anyway. Just start one, and concentrate on playing the basic melodies. This music is strong enough to work fine without ornaments for a while, and if you listen to a bunch of cds, the lilt and pulse will find its way into your music.

And you’re right– a learning session is a great way to build toward a full-on session some day. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll be cranking through tunes in the pub some day. Go for it!

Posted .

Irina, if you wish to come and see for yourself, you’re welcome. I can offer you only one backer at the moment (which means, moi), because my melody players are still ITM toddlers (yes, I also started an ITM school in here). I am totally impressed that you wrote my city’s name without making a single mistake, which is rare - I owe you a half-litre (we do not have pints in here). If you wish to come, just drop me an e-mail.

I don’t know how it is in Dresden, but here just starting session didn’t work I got many people, who were either too lazy, too shallow in their interest in ITM or too, let’s say, musically challenged (despite much enthusiasm and affinity to percussion instruments) to work out anything at least bearable. I have tried for 3-4 years, and after that I changed strategy . I had to seek actively for some people interested in ITM, through friends, ads and so on, usually just talking a lot to everyone about my ‘hobby’, find one-two who were more than slightly interested, and start cooperation with them. Our path is as rocky as the road to Dublin, because we are all around 25 years of age and we spend most of our time tryin to find combine work, writing MA theses, searching for better opportunities, staying in contact with families etc. , so we can’t play as often as we would wish, once in a blue moon, if I can quote You. We are hoping for a better future though *bright smile*.

As someone has said (was it Jack London?), you can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

I wish you all the success in creating a full blown brainbursting fiery session in Dresden.

Scuse my English, I didn’t wake up properly yet

Your English doesn

I use a music program to note a tune (lead line only) in the appropriate key, but in/at mutiple speeds: dead slow, then 2x,4x,8x speeds until I get to dance speed or otherwise performance speed. Then I save it as a .wav file/ Then I burn a CD with all of that, plus a performance of the tune by my favorite perfomer (pro-ITM) for inspiration. I can usually do two or three tunes on a CD. Then it is labeled [Tune Titles;Phils’ Learning Series # xx; and sources on a printed label to go with the disc.
I then circulate the disc among those musicians most likely to take it seriously enough to learn,; usually the few people I play with in sessions. It might be another topic for discussion but I am most content in a session with just 2 or 3 others. As the numbers increase, so does the complexity of guiding the session. Phil

One more thing. Now that I have access to this great site, I can include a print-out of the ABC notation and sheet music with the CD. Steering newbies to ITM is HARD work, but someone has to do it if we’re going to help the Irish “Save The World”. -[:-}]

Phil, the Irish need help doing something they’ve already done once, and we’re making them do again? *snort* Besides, I think it’s that the Irish saved Civilization, and that’s not necessarily the same as the world, I’d think… hehehe

Ye’re rite uf curse. Wot wuz I thinkin?

Thanks for your comments!
Phil - I think I’ll try something like your CDs and combine SlowSession sound files with a perfomance of the same tune. I got very helpfull information from Chris Smith about starting a slow session and I’ll try to adapt that to our situation.
And Janek: Whenever you’re in or near Dresden make sure to give me a call! (By the way: I have to admit that I wasn’t sure how to spell Warszawa but I had Internet access at the time! Do I have to give the virtual half-litre back?)

Posted by .