Good Stuff…

Re: Good Stuff…

Good stuff indeed! So good, in fact, that I wish we convince all the guitar, banjo and drum players around here to go off and create their own separate session so that they, too, could create such beautiful music. 😉

Not.

Nevertheless… what is the name of the last tune, I hear it a bit but not sure

Three guitars, a bodhrán and a banjo — heaven.

Posted by .

Different strokes for different folks.

Posted by .

Excellent banjo though. What would they all have done without him?

Damn sight better banjo player than me.

However, to keep the tradition going they should have got an exorcist in to bless the pub, make sure no one else was allowed in, just the banjo player on his own, and kept the music a…….secret.

That is how you keep the tradition ……alive.

Here, I am getting good at this understanding lark.

Rhythm players should never outnumber melody. Time for somebody to take turns.

This is a decent band - not mustard-board material, they do more rock/indie covers, but good nonetheless. Too many guitarists yes, but they’re all very good.

They usually have a Djembe player too!

It’s a band? That would explain the mix of instruments. I had assumed it was a session, similar to some I had attended in the past, where there were too many accompanists. Which doesn’t make for a fun evening, that is for sure.
I went to a birthday party/session for someone recently, and there were about 20 musicians, but for the first half of the night, only one guitarist, who wasn’t playing much. Haven’t seen that in a long time.

Al,

If the banjo player lives somewhere and he is the ONLY melody player…………….does he stop playing, or does he make the best of what else is available?

If a bodhran falls off a bartop,
and there is no one there to hear it,
does it still make an awful thumping sound?
😉

Posted by .

Actually, the line-up is banjo, TWO acoustic guitars, one acoustic bass guitar, bodhran.
If the bass player used a pick instead of his fingertips he might have been audible over the bodhran.
But yes, another instance where you think someone else ought to learn to play the tunes on something as well, to cope with any unexpected absences.
I wouldn’t say that session ( ? session ? ) was my idea of hell, but several young bearded guys bashing nine shades of it out of their instruments ( being an old bearded guy ) isn’t entirely satisfying. What, no women ? Just for a start. No fiddles, flutes, whistles, concertinas, pipes ? ITM wasn’t originally played on ANY fretted instruments.
And I bet they think they’re the cats’ ankles, or something.

There isn’t truly such a thing as an acoustic bass guitar. Except for the huge ones they play in Mexico, there isn’t a one that would be audible without electric amplification.

Try a bass mandolin sometime, Al, if you get the chance, They’re not hugely loud, but they’ll do the job in a session setting, I think.

Closest thing I’ve found to an acoustic bass guitar.

No, an acoustic bass guitar IS audible, but you have to hit it with a heavy plectrum. Otherwise, like wetting yourself in a dark suit, you get a nice warm feeling but nobody else notices.
Playing fingerstyle, as if the instrument was a stand-up bass viol, but with a 5th of the body volume, is just a waste of time. I reckon bass mandolin would be even quieter.