Flying with Aer Lingus and Flybe

Flying with Aer Lingus and Flybe

I will be flying with the above air lines, and I’m wondering what their policies are regarding instruments. Has anyone had any recent experiences with them? I’m flying to Glasgow, then to the Hebrides carrying an accordion case with the demensions:

39cm X 37cm X 20.5cm

Or a standard salterelle hardcase to the boxheads out there.

Cheers

Re: Flying with Aer Lingus and Flybe

I have had my little box which has a ‘McComiskey’ size box whatever that means, and it fit quite nicely in the Aer Lingus overhead .

I have had my Saltarelle Conn III in Southwest Airlines overheads several time and once under the seat. But that is a US Domestic carrier.

I cantell you though, the boxes get bomb tested almost every time by TSA

People always want to check out the flute too. I guess they think it is a gun or something. But after they’ve checked it, it has always been fine.

Aer Lingus are instrument-friendly.

Yea they are. In fact, a while back, a few of us pulled out our instruments and played a few sets on the plane. The only reason we were told to put them up was because someone complained about how the noise kept them from going to sleep. It was still pretty fun and they were very lenient on that.

Brought the mandolin to Belgium recenly, in a case, no problem with aer Lingus.

The child has carried guitars and all sorts of things onto planes, simply ignoring all the signs….

Going through Heathrow in the early 90s, I was asked for a brief harmonica demonstration by an audience of four nice young men with impressively large guns. Turns out that harmonicas look an awful lot like ammunition under the X-ray… they were understandably a little nervous when the guy at the scanner saw half a dozen of them in my bag.

Better than Flymo — they’re not very instrument friendly.

Posted by .

"Better than Flymo — they’re not very instrument friendly."

Especially when flying over the cliffs of mower.

Some of the Flybe turboprops have quite small overhead storage, so there may be an issue there.

However, if the flight is not full then you may be able to find a seat for the box.

"Some of the Flybe turboprops have quite small overhead storage, so there may be an issue there.

However, if the flight is not full then you may be able to find a seat for the box." Feargal French

In my experience Feargal it’s not the hold thats at issue, rather what happens to your stuff en route to and from the conveyer. All those IDGAF attitudes with their grubby clumsy paws.

On planes with small over head lockers they usually work a system where luggage to big to fit is put in the hold at the point you board the plane. On landing your reunited with your cabin luggage to carry into the terminal. There’s no problem for stuff properly cased in those instances. You see the guy put it in, you see them take it out.

I’ve never had a problem with the fiddle on Aer L or Flybe although I simply leave it with anyone who might be with me while I check in just in case and never had problems at the gate, thats even worked with Ryan Air although I’d always pay over the odds not to fly with b’stard airlines these days.

Its funny. No one has commented on United?

I understand they have special handling for musical instruments 😉

I have had to buy a seat for my box on an Aer Lingus flight.!! It’s too big to carry on as hand luggage.

At least they let you buy a seat…. Easyjet & Ryanair. Musical instrument policy.. What a joke!. Thank you Aer Lingus

iloveaccordions

you must play one of those big honkin pa’s.

my little boxes are pretty small relatively speaking

iloveaccordians,

I regularly travel Ryanair and buy a seat for a mandolin each time (it’s too big to be cabin baggage) - surely there’s no difference for accordion?