Kevin Burke "Session Suite"

Kevin Burke "Session Suite"

Tried to submit this just now, but it didn’t seem to go through. Trying again, hope it doesn’t post twice.

I came across this on youtube - posting it as possibly of some interest. "Kevin Burke Quartet: the Session Suite", arranged by Cal Scott.

http://youtu.be/3_DZD0fdUgg

Three of the four movements seem to be up there. There are some good moments in there, but I’m not really blown away. Worth hearing, though. Curious to see what others think.

Re: Kevin Burke "Session Suite"

That was my reaction too. For the most part, I liked the concept the ITM/classical fusion a lot better than the execution. In particular, I thought that too often, the internal tension of the tunes was overwhelmed rather than enhanced by heavy-handed harmonies from the classical players. On the plus side, I really did enjoy the violin intro to Kevin’s Boys of Malin in the fourth movement- 4:39 here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loHCeb1zwX0 - and the ending was pure brilliance: an unexpected and cheeky, yet seamless, transition into a classical coda.)

I should add that Kevin Burke can play whatever he damn well pleases and I could still listen to him all day.

Pants, I’d just rather they didn’t. Sorry.

Some lovely moments, but all too few. I’d prefer to hear KB on his own. I thought the music was syrupy and thick. Did the other instruments add to the beauty and elegance of traditional tunes? I felt that they got in the way.
It can’t compare either with a Mozart String Quartet or with KB’s simple fiddling on In Concert (the tracks with Martin Hayes are beautiful) or on In Tandem, with Ged Foley.

I found the rhythm lump en and the harmony pointless. And what a collaboration like this needs is a complete restructuring of the exceedingly repetative 4, 8, 16, 32, 4, 8, 16, 32, 4, 8, 16, 32.

I thought it was bloody awful

Posted .

Drat. I was hoping someone would hear something in it that I’d missed. My sense is that is wasn’t so much a "quartet" as a "concerto for fiddler and string trio". It wasn’t four people playing together, it was Kevin Burke playing a bunch of tunes and some able string players playing mediocre accompaniment.

It made me think, though, that it would be interesting to hear an actual quartet, using session tunes as its main material. What I’d like to hear there would be four parts, none of them "in the lead" which, played together, would bring out tunes not present in any individual part. So, four interesting melodies which as a whole bring out the tunes - ideally, with all of what we like in the tunes, the drive and the lift and that ineffable "nyah" stuff - with the tunes not being simply "the first violin part".

I suppose to do that, you would first have to eliminate the "Kevin Burke" part of the whole business, to make it a quartet of equals.

On the other hand, it’s interesting to see that Cal Scott was able to do as well as he did converting his guitar accompaniments to something more orchestrated. Or else, and this might be the case, that he does such a good job of converting his orchestrated accompaniments to guitar parts.

It looked a bit like an awkward 1st date where two wonderful, intelligent people try to make a nice evening of it, but in the end, realize they just don’t have all that much in common afterall. I don’t see a 2nd date here either.

I’ll bet dosh that this Cal Scott bloke "composed" the quartet bit on Sibelius.

Posted .

I bet he composed it on auto-pilot.

I like Kevins playing usually but this is awful.

Posted by .

I have gone back to this album a few times to see if my feelings about it might change. It hasn’t really though there are some lovely tunes in there.
The best you could say about this is that maybe it will pull some new recruits in to The Music who might like this and then go back and listen to the other KB albums for the real stuff.

Maybe it wasn’t done for us.

I hope he didn’t do it for himself

Posted .

awful.