Tune Title Needed for Polka Please

Tune Title Needed for Polka Please

I learned this tune many years ago from the late Hugh Blake.

Although set in 4/4 time, it’s definitely a polka. Hugh always referred to it as "The Old Set Tune", but I’m asking if any of you know it, and (if so), by what name.

The abc is posted below. Thanks in anticipation of any help … πŸ™‚

X: 1
T: Gan Ainm
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K:D
|:B|A2 F2 AA A2|B2 G2 BB B2|c2 A2 c2 e2|dc de fe dB|
A2 F2 AA A2|B2 G2 BB B2|c2 e2 A2 Bc|d2 d2 d3:|
|:B|A2 f2 f3e|e2 d2 dc B2|B2 g2 g3f|f2 e2 ed cB|
A2 f2 f3e|e2 d2 dc B2|B2 g2 g2 Bc|e2 d2 d3:|

Re: Tune Title Needed for Polka Please

Can’t think of the title at the moment, "Mix", but I’m pretty sure that’s been recorded by someone as a barndance rather than polka, although it could be either. I have it somewhere - need to have a think.

Posted by .

@Kenny - I eagerly await the result of your further deliberations! …. πŸ™‚

Darby’s Cross

Similar, but that’s not it.

Posted by .

Thanks, Smash the Windows … πŸ™‚

However, I’ve just looked up "Darby’s Cross" (using John Chambers tune finder), and it’s quite a lot different from the tune that I posted above.

Some similarities though - particularly in the "A" part.

Perhaps a variant .. but the jury’s still out … πŸ™‚

X-Posted with Kenny!

Hmm … "Darby’s cross - and I hope that Kenny’s not too upset that he hasn’t remembered what it is yet … πŸ˜‰

Tearing my hair* out with this one. I’m hearing fiddle, with fairly prominent piano in the background. Wondered about Ben or Charlie Lennon, Seamus Quinn or John Carty, but can’t seem to find it.
Where are Dow or ceolachan when you need them ?
[ *or what’s left of it ].

Posted by .

The first part is almost identical to the "John Clifford’s" on this recording: https://thesession.org/recordings/1433
Track 20.However, the second part is different. It’s not the same John Clifford’s that is in the tune section.

Is it the Ballroom Favourite? On this site

Thank for your efforts and feedback, guys and gal. … πŸ™‚

As already mentioned, it’s not Darby’s Cross - albeit there are some similarities.

Neither is it "The Ballroom Favourite", although again there are similarities.

Haven’t heard John Clifford’s, as noted by Weejie, so can’t comment on that.

I’m familiar with "Willafjord", and it’s certainly not that!

I’m thinking myself that it might be Scandinavian in origin - possibly Swedish.

Too late now to ask Hugh Blake where he got the tune from (although I wish that I had done so). Hugh associated with a number of Scottish musicians, so maybe there is some connection there …

If you want to actually hear the tune being played, here’s the link:

http://www.jigmadwolf.co.uk/mp3/old_set_tune.mp3

Will’s got it - "The Teelin". Recording I was thinking about was "Tracin’" by Patrick Ourceau and Gearoid O’hAllmhurain. It’s the 2nd tune in a fiddle solo, backed by piano.
It was also recorded by Harry Bradley on "The Night Rambler’s Companion".

Posted by .

@Weejie - thanks for posting that "John Cliffords" clip. Again, many similarities of phrases - but not the same tune …

@Kenny "Will’s got it - "The Teelin". - Doesn’t sound anyhing like "The Teelin" as posted here on session.org. Do you have a link to a clip of it being played, by any chance?

https://thesession.org/tunes/6485
It was posted here as "Nicky’s Archive", which is the name Patrick Ourceau used on the "Tracin’" recording. It’s been identified as "The Teelin" under an "alternative" title.
I don’t have the "Tracin’" recording or sleeve notes any longer, but the notes were very detailed about the tune sources and origins.
Harry’s sleeve notes have the following :
"Fiddler Paul O’Shaughnessy, who joins me on this track, thinks that he might have first heard these tunes played by Con Cassidy of Donegal. At any rate they were popularised by the fine fiddle stylings of Derry fiddler Dermot McLaughlin".
I’ve listened to both Harry’s and Ourceau’s recordings - that’s your tune identified [ by Will, not me ].

Posted by .

Also recorded by Paul Brock & Enda Scahill - who say it was associated with Donegal fiddler Danny O’Donnell.
Ourceau’s sleeve notes say he learned it from the playing of Nicky McAuliffe from Co. Kerry.

Posted by .

"Also recorded by Paul Brock & Enda Scahill - who say it was associated with Donegal fiddler Danny O’Donnell."

So you could give it the title "Daniel O’Donnell’s".
That should please the grannies.

Thanks again guys for all this extra info. However, I still feel that this tune is close enough to be considered as a variation.

Would be interested to hear what Celoachan has to say the next time he checks in to session.org … πŸ˜‰

Mix, it’s the Teelin, just with some minor tweaks. Consider it a different setting, or the same tune with small variations within.

Posted .