best bodhran for 200e

best bodhran for 200e

hi all. i am on the market for a new bodhran. im not playin long but sick of the sound of my cheapo 40e one. so im putting the question out there as to which is the best buy in and around the 200e mark. any help on the matter is much appreciated

Posted by .

Re: best bodhran for 200e

Definitely diarmaid. Excellent drums for the price - I love mine, loads of tone. But seriously, it’s the player, not the drum. I felt the same as you when I started out, but now even that old waltons untuneable sounds good. My advice to you is to find other bodhranistas and try out some of their drums before buying a new one.

O’Kane Senior or junior would be a god bet. So would Brendan White. I don’t know if Eamonn Maguire is in business still, i have a 18" he made 1994 which is great, has received many compliments at gigs and sessions internationally.
Hedwitschak drums seem great too but afaik fall well outside your budget.

Good luck

Hey Kirbs, if you’re anywhere near Dublin I’d be happy to sell you mine, it’s a 16 inch Waltons bodhran, bought it for 220 2 years ago, it’s in good condition and I have a case and 4 tippers for it.

I don’t really play much bodhran anymore and am moving in September so I probably need to sell it soon anyway!

P

Posted by .

Metloef bodhrans…Bit over your budget but worth it in the long run

thanks for all the replys. yeve given me lots to mull over. i like the look of diarmaid o kanes and brendan whites. they look great value for money. i must try and get to play them tho. im in limerick paudy but the bodhran i have is a waltons so want something different. thanks for offer tho.

thanks again for the replys

Posted by .

No worries man and good luck with the search. I did meet a guy who makes them last night in O Donoghue’s, Philip Mac an Ri his name was, seeing as he’s not well known he’d probably make something of good value at a nice price but you would be taking the chance seeing as he doesn;t have a reputation built up, I tried his bodhran and it sounded good, very deep and nice clicky sound.

Posted by .

Go with an o’kane. Seriously. Not top of the line instruments, but still well able to compete with the best drums out there, and the best possible value for money. I can’t understand how waltons best bodhrans cost the same as one of diarmaids best, when diarmaids are literally 3 times as good, better looking, better skin, built to your specs, finger tuning.. The list goes on. Oh, and diarmaid appliques them as well. Just.. Better.

brendan white in yaughal is your man,itll cost a lot more than most my advice is keep saving for a while and go get one made to suit you,lots of s… out there and keep away from the factory ones

Posted by .

"brendan white in yaughal is your man,itll cost a lot more than most"

Brendan is your man in Holland actually : )
And i don’t know about the ‘cost a lot more’ bit either, my tuneable 18" cost €220 and is well worth it.

http://www.bodhran.nl/site/index/bodhrans

Cheers!